Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should coach England?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

The internet forums should pick the team as it's obvious that WE KNOW BEST! ;-)

#22 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yah!

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

A proven winning formula!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#24 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Actually, that might make for a very interesting idea for a one-off! Good idea!

#25 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

Wane or Mcdermott aren't gonna take such a job at this stage of there lives, think Daryl Powell is great coach who knows how to motivate his charges as is Mark Aston at Sheffield/Ireland. We need to think outside the obvious box.

#26 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Jason Robinson, Shaun Edwards or Ellery Hanley.

All are legends, were exceptional players, command respect, and are well-known by the general public. Shaun Wane and Brian McDermott have proved to be great coaches over the past season, but neither tick all those boxes. Good as they may be, they would be unable to raise the profile of the sport nationally in the same way as any of the three aforementioned would be able to.

I think the union lot have already tried that approach with Martin Johnson - it failed miserably.
Assuming you are being serious non of the above have any experience in the modern game and it has moved on apace in a very short time.
Need a coach who can match the Aussies. Perfect man management, perfect understanding of systems and modern game plans etc. It will not be easy.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#27 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

I think the union lot have already tried that approach with Martin Johnson - it failed miserably.

Martin Johnson is no Shaun Edwards. Nice guy though he is (and a good captain), Johnson was a plodding forward. Find me one who's made a great coach.

Assuming you are being serious .

Deadly.

Need a coach who can match the Aussies

Need a coach who can select the right players and bring the best out of them. Edwards, Robinson and Hanley would all be eminently capable. To say they don't understand the modern game is like saying that Stephen Hawking doesn't understand particle physics because he hasn't been working on the Large Hadron Collider recently.

#28 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

Assuming you are being serious non of the above have any experience in the modern game and it has moved on apace in a very short time.
Need a coach who can match the Aussies. Perfect man management, perfect understanding of systems and modern game plans etc. It will not be easy.

Has it really "moved on apace"..? The style of play is in a different cycle of fashion no doubt but as for the rest of it...nevermind thinking outside the box in terms of a coach perhaps we actually need a coach who thinks outside the box...a non-formulaic approach may well work wonders in the series of one offs the international game is...

#29 johnboy1986

johnboy1986
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Who would have the job tho? Is it a better job than coaching wigan or leeds I dont think it is therfore to get the best coach available it would have to be part time id go for wayne and I agree structure wins rugby games and wayne is best at teaching structure.

#30 FlattenedbyWard

FlattenedbyWard
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Given that McNamara might take up a position at the Roosters as an Assistant Coach its quite conceivable he'll keep the job on a part time basis.

He may well follow the trend and play catch up by immersing himself in the NRL and all the processes, tactics and management that is required to succeed in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this came to pass.

#31 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Martin Johnson is no Shaun Edwards. Nice guy though he is (and a good captain), Johnson was a plodding forward. Find me one who's made a great coach.

You made no mention of coaching ability in your praise of your selection, only great captains and high public profile etc. etc. which is why I responded with the Johnson example and asked if you were serious.
You replied to a point I did not make.

Deadly.

See above

Need a coach who can select the right players and bring the best out of them. Edwards, Robinson and Hanley would all be eminently capable. To say they don't understand the modern game is like saying that Stephen Hawking doesn't understand particle physics because he hasn't been working on the Large Hadron Collider recently.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Hawkin's greatest achievement on the preservation of information on the event horizon of black holes has subsequently been proved to be wrong.

Edited by John Rhino, 11 December 2013 - 09:39 PM.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#32 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Daryl Powell is an interesting one. Is he the coach on everyone's lips - probably not. But there is one thing he has done is beat the Aussies as a player (3 times including home and away).

Edited by Scubby, 11 December 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#33 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

Shaun Wane deserves a crack at it. A proven winner of everything available in SL and at academy level. His passion, eye for talent and tactical structures would take the England team up a level.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#34 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

Shaun wane has proved the doubters wrong each year, he clearly knows what he is doing and won't let media pressure get to him, he picks his players to match his strategy and backs them to the hilt, the wigan players clearly want to play for him and give their all each week, I can't recall any player say a bad word about him so he clearly has the man management skills,
What is also impressive is his ability to build and implement successful structure, his backroom team is impressive and I should imagine he has a large input with wigans development pathways.

Lastly his emphasis on youth development could help the RFL's strategy of expanding the player pool.

This needs to be a full time position and sadly I think wane is enjoying club footy too much....

#35 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Wane or Mcdermott aren't gonna take such a job at this stage of there lives, think Daryl Powell is great coach who knows how to motivate his charges as is Mark Aston at Sheffield/Ireland. We need to think outside the obvious box.

Whilst they are great coaches they are a long way away from being top professional managers!

The national team needs a manager, aston and powell would be great coaches under a manager on a part time basis?

#36 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

mcdermott or hanley fulltime...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#37 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

With the exception of Shaun Wane and Brian Mcdermott, every name mentioned so far would be a risk, and at best on par with the appointment of Steve McNamara.

Hanley has been out of the game far too long, and as much as i loved him as a player, and as good as he appeared when at Saints, he would need a couple of seasons as a current SL coach to be seriously considered.

Edwards, although he's proved to be a decent union coach, and had coached to a degree while a player at Wigan and other clubs, like Hanley he's been out of the loop for too long to be seriously considered without a couple of years coaching in SL, unless of course he took on more a manager role and had a decent back room staff of current RL coaches.

Robinson has no coaching pedigree whatsoever to my knowledge.

Daryl Powell is a decent enough shout, but without the success in SL of the likes of Wane and McDermott he's likely to be behind both of them in the pecking order.

I think it will be a part-time position, and i think they'll offer it to Shaun Wane first, if he says no, to Brian McDermott.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#38 Saint Doc

Saint Doc
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:32 AM

I don't see why it has to full time at the moment?

As long as the successful candidate is full time 12-18 months out from the rlwc2017, I can't see a problem.

Sign Wane on a 3 year part time deal as head coach, with a full time assistant coach.

Hopefully Wane would then be happy to stand down from club duties (for at least a year) at the end of 2016 SL to take the reins full time through to the WC

#39 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

not got a problem with the coach being part time...but we do need someone else in a director of RL role to organise the ETS,knights,training camps etc....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#40 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

I'd love to see Wayne Bennett involved somehow,. We can but dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users