Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should coach England?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Do you think it needs to be full-time right now?

I think it does on balance. Whatever you think of McNamara, the actual structure behind England and the whole “second club” mentality is as strong as it’s been since I’ve been watching RL (not as long as some on here, granted). A lot of that I think is down to him working at it in a time period that couldn’t be afforded to someone also working at club level. Could they employ someone full time to work on something like this that wasn’t the head coach? Sure, but it’s all about perception. We want to be the best international RL team on the planet, and are we seriously going to do that with a part time coach?

I also think it causes unnecessary friction around the squad. When Nobel was coach of GB back in 2005, everyone cried foul that he picked Harris and Deacon because they played for his club – now those two had just lead the bulls on a 10+ game hot streak to become champions, but it shouldn’t be hard to justify the halfback combination of the reigning champions just because you coach them at club level. There is going to be a bit of that always even with a full time coach, but why invite it?

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#42 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

Surely whoever gets the job it should be on a full time basis.

I do not consider that S Mc. has any proven ability as a coach - on the field of play, his record at both club and country backs that statement up, indisputably, a coach is judged on their successes or failures.

People keep saying that he is an excellent administrator and he put in great systems, of training, bonding, familiarity etc, etc. This I will concede, there has been a vast improvement in this area, by far much better than the get together the week before the event. But let us not forget that he has had an advantage that no national coach before him has had the benefit of, in that he has been afforded the time and resources to put in pace and execute his ideas and strategies.  

So it is of my opinion, that whoever gets the position can only be measured against S Mc. if they are to be given/allowed the same finance, availability and shielded from any other influence i.e. a club post.

The importance and responsibility by us the RL public of whoever the incumbent proves to be is far far greater collectively to us than who is the coach of Wigan or Leeds or any other SL or NRL club, we need someone focused solely on the job in question with no distractions, and has as been proved in the past by some multi-tasking club and country coaches loyalty to their own club personnel, when others may be more worthy of a place in the squad/team, no coach should be put in that position to be stood up for criticism.

So for me it is a full time job.        

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#43 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

But let us not forget that he has had an advantage that no national coach before him has had the benefit of, in that he has been afforded the time and resources to put in pace and execute his ideas and strategies.  

Really interesting post, although wasn't David Waite the first full-time international coach in this country (GB not England granted)? I do think McNamara has had more resources that Waite had, but as you say this should certainly continue

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#44 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Paul Cullen.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#45 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Who in their right mind would ever want the job?  Only second in being a thankless task to being the England football manager.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#46 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

If its a part time post and doesnt mean the coach has to leace his club, then id like to see maybe a 2 man effort in charge of England, someone like John Kear for their experience and Shaun Wane or another up and coming young coach working alongside.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#47 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

An Australian

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#48 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Andrew Johns

He talks a lot about the different styles he used to like to watch and he has a point

He is seen as a top skills coach in Aus, he has the right mentality and the right background and 4 years to get it right with the same staff to begin with from this RLWC which gives continuity and hopefully progression

It wont matter if he is in Aus for half the year because he will be able to look at/coach/assist the players over there as well - its the back room staff that will make it all work so all the faces that were there with McNamara should initially stay, Johns in to review what they did along with the RFL:, and then see what he has to offer to improve it

WE fail in the halves as much as anywhere else and we need someone who can identify/motivate/coach half backs at the highest level

Even if hes not head coach we should be looking at skills coach for that reason alone

#49 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

I don't see why it has to full time at the moment?

As long as the successful candidate is full time 12-18 months out from the rlwc2017, I can't see a problem.

Sign Wane on a 3 year part time deal as head coach, with a full time assistant coach.

Hopefully Wane would then be happy to stand down from club duties (for at least a year) at the end of 2016 SL to take the reins full time through to the WC

Who would the assistant coach assist if he is full time? who would be leading him?

Who would he be coaching full time?

Would he be watching all the players and looking after team affairs and be in contact with all the players? (wouldn't he then be the Head Coach)?

In Soccer Roy Hodgeson is full time, Gary Neville joins him when the squad meet up to coach the players, i.e part time........

#50 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

Terry Venables

#51 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Who in their right mind would ever want the job? Only second in being a thankless task to being the England football manager.

I'd take it in a heartbeat if offered it. Hardly a poisoned chalice akin to the England football team when expectations are so low to start with. The majority don't see McNamara as a failure despite him maintaining the status quo as the third best international side.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#52 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think it does on balance. Whatever you think of McNamara, the actual structure behind England and the whole “second club” mentality is as strong as it’s been since I’ve been watching RL (not as long as some on here, granted). A lot of that I think is down to him working at it in a time period that couldn’t be afforded to someone also working at club level. Could they employ someone full time to work on something like this that wasn’t the head coach? Sure, but it’s all about perception. We want to be the best international RL team on the planet, and are we seriously going to do that with a part time coach?

I also think it causes unnecessary friction around the squad. When Nobel was coach of GB back in 2005, everyone cried foul that he picked Harris and Deacon because they played for his club – now those two had just lead the bulls on a 10+ game hot streak to become champions, but it shouldn’t be hard to justify the halfback combination of the reigning champions just because you coach them at club level. There is going to be a bit of that always even with a full time coach, but why invite it?

Good point, well made.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#53 GezMoyles74

GezMoyles74
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Daryl Powell for me I think he's a tremendous coach matey

#54 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Daryl Powell for me I think he's a tremendous coach matey

Would you have him over Hanley?

TotalRL.com Editor

#55 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Should there be a selection panel, think this happens in other sports and maybe down under, not sure on this or should sole selection of the squad/ team be put on the head coaches shoulders? Supposed team bias would therefore be eliminated, maybe, and maybe 2/3/4 selectors thoughts could be better than 1.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding this?

#56 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Anyone but McNamara.

#57 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'm sure any one of the armchair experts that post on here that are critical of the current coach,couldn't they?

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 16 December 2013 - 02:02 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#58 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

No we don't claim to armchair experts just supporters who have paid money to watch England these past years and are entitled to write our opinions on McNamara's tenure.

He was hopeless and simply continued with England from what appeared to be his record at Bradford. No one complained more about their coach than Bulls fans whilst he was in charge. Messrs Wane, McDermott and Anderson are coaches who have won trophies and my vote would go with Shaun Wane. Biased yes as a Wigan fan but Waney has won more trophies than the others. If McDermott or Anderson were appointed I'd be quite happy with either of them.

Just my opinion but I think McNamara is hopeless, utterly hopeless! That's based on his record at both Bradford and as England coach.

#59 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Have you not seen the news?

http://www.totalrl.c...w-based-sydney/

TotalRL.com Editor

#60 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

It should be Fulltime. When there are no games/offseason. Concentrate on grass roots, player development and putting schemes in place. Also a coaching farmework like Waite implemented and RL being RL wonderfully got forgot about.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.