Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pennine League & NW Counties League

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Can't sustain an argument and therefore revert to dark forces! Perhaps, just perhaps, teams and their management using their own free will and decision making powers would prefer to play in a March - October league given the choice. But no dark forces. Give them some credit. You're starting to sound like the American preacher who's declared the end of the world half a dozen times only to come back that next time it'll really happen.

#22 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Can't sustain an argument and therefore revert to dark forces! Perhaps, just perhaps, teams and their management using their own free will and decision making powers would prefer to play in a March - October league given the choice. But no dark forces. Give them some credit. You're starting to sound like the American preacher who's declared the end of the world half a dozen times only to come back that next time it'll really happen.

LOL............but it's not odd that Ron Girvin is now Life President of a League he has never been involved with?

#23 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

LOL............but it's not odd that Ron Girvin is now Life President of a League he has never been involved with?

From what i recall he looked to step back from the involvement he had had to have a quieter life.

Presumably if he'd been made the life precedent of a league of 3 teams, you would have burst a blood vessel at the indignity of it all.

He's been given a well deserved accolade. Celebrate it without mentioning dark forces or OR!

#24 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

From what i recall he looked to step back from the involvement he had had to have a quieter life.
Presumably if he'd been made the life precedent of a league of 3 teams, you would have burst a blood vessel at the indignity of it all.
He's been given a well deserved accolade. Celebrate it without mentioning dark forces or OR!

You really have no idea have you?

The RFL shat on all the hard work Ron put in to decades of running the NWC OA when they purposely enticed clubs away from it........FACT!

Now we have the irony of his Life Presidency with NWCML..........a league he has had no involvement with?

#25 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

The RFL shat on all the hard work Ron put in to decades of running the NWC OA when they purposely enticed clubs away from it........FACT!

Now we have the irony of his Life Presidency with NWCML..........a league he has had no involvement with?

Boring. FACT.

#26 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Boring. FACT.

Maybe boring to you, but a very TRUE...........FACT!

Edited by LordCharles, 23 January 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#27 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

NWC voted on summer a few years ago. Around 15 clubs voted for it but a good number in the room wanted to move, they just didn't put their hand up worried how it would be seen if summer didn't happen. It was clear, even then that there was a number who wanted the summer option.

Then a summer league was set up. And clubs (which have members - usually players - and respond to their members) had a choice.

And now we are where we are.

It really has been that simple! There was a choice and people chose, which precisely how it should be!
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#28 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

NWC voted on summer a few years ago. Around 15 clubs voted for it but a good number in the room wanted to move, they just didn't put their hand up worried how it would be seen if summer didn't happen. It was clear, even then that there was a number who wanted the summer option.
Then a summer league was set up. And clubs (which have members - usually players - and respond to their members) had a choice.
And now we are where we are.
It really has been that simple! There was a choice and people chose, which precisely how it should be!

There was also a lot of persuasion from certain quarters (RFL) ..............but let's not bring that in to the equation because it wouldn't look very good through those rose tinted glasses of yours.......would it?

#29 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

And if you want to know just how much persuasion ask Mr Girvin himself!

He was less than impressed IIRC!

#30 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Persuasion! Thought it was cohersion, nay enticement! Was there, nudge nudge , wink wink, brown paper bags or did the RFL say it's our ball your not playing?

#31 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

No one persuaded our club, of offered any incentives, or anything of the kind. We voted on what was our best option to grow and develop. The concept of incentives etc. is a complete myth which an ever more isolated few continue to pedal when a stark reality is...clubs have CHOSEN summer - that's what i see through my supposedly rose tinted spectacles and I'm glad I do as i find it quite bizarre that some think CLUBS shouldnt choose for themselves what they want to do!

For what it's worth I've said on here before that the Girvins deserved credit for running the league and also, for letting their be an open discussion about summer/winter and forwarding the info about the summer option on to the clubs so they could decide what they wanted to do for themselves. A lot of rubbish and conspiracy theories were banded around at that time about 'going behind the leagues back' when it was the league itself that sent the info on! Some people just made things up to play silly games.

Edited by mmp, 23 January 2014 - 09:36 PM.

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#32 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Yes......all those phone calls were total nonsense, a mere figment of the imagination of those that picked up the phone!

The RFL bods that contacted the clubs or went to meet with them never existed either, they were just imposters!

#33 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Sometimes a silly question gets a silly answer but I'll ask it anyway...

Why shouldn't a club meet or have a phonecall with the Governing body?

Ever since getting involved with running a club I've struggled with the whole concept of being possibly denied a right to speak to whoever I might want - or to hear from whoever I might want - because of some outdated and utterly irrelevant structure of 'how it's always been done'. The LE (wrongly) condemned the RFL at the time because they had corresponded with clubs without prior permission of the league...why prior permission should ever have been needs is simply bizarre to me.

If someone from the RFL wanted to call - good! If someone from the RFU wants to so be it...I can listen, take it in, form a view and decide. What gives anyone a right to decide who a CLUB should or shouldn't have a discussion with?

#34 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

Interesting to note that Ron Girvin, who has fought to keep the NWC OA League going against all sorts of propaganda and nonsense from the RFL over the last few years, has now been honoured by the RFL and given Life Presidency of the NWCML the league that has effectively ended the NWC OA League's existence!!!
I do sometimes wonder about how the dark forces really work!

If he had so much grief, and was so upset, why has he accepted the offer of this role from the RFL?
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#35 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Still a shame that a once vibrant league is no more or soon not to be .

We can argue the toss for months even years to come and time will tell , perhaps the Girvins were beaten into submission after dedicated many years in providing rugby for thousands of RL people .
OA rugby like football was and still is in decline , summer rugby as not stopped the rot despite the romantics view .
It's an experiment which still as the jury out as to its benefit to the game , think its best to work with what we have been left with but lets not forget the move in seasons was not led by the community clubs it was at the brainchild of someone at the RFL who saw the community game as the cash cow saviour .

#36 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

From the outside looking in the north west was always going to be split as teams in the non traditional rl areas where always going to want summer to allow use of rugby union players and facilities

The dam broke when the dominant team of the time opted to switch in bank quay bulls and the others didn't want to be left behind

The nwc was then left with clubs of varying abilities and to many mismatches to ever be feasible players want competitive rugby and won't turn up for floggings

It'll be a shame if the league ceases the question is what next for golborne and Dalton the latter of whom are staunch for winter due to Paul Crareys BARLA open age coaching status them clubs now need a suitable league in the season of there choice
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#37 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Without wanting to test any individuals' integrity, maybe the fact that Neil Girvin has been given a paid role by the RFL may shed some light on this matter

#38 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

Without wanting to test any individuals' integrity, maybe the fact that Neil Girvin has been given a paid role by the RFL may shed some light on this matter

So in one post he's gone from a bastion of the sport being attacked by the RFL, to a paid lackey of that very same organisation. Wow! Even for the conspiracy BS on this forum that's some going.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#39 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

He could've declined the invitation.......(is it compulsory to write 'FACT!' here?)

#40 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

If you want to know why rugby league is failing at some levels, don't consult the calendar or the meteorpgical chart, just read some of the pathetic nonsense on this forum.

Rugby league has been held back by small minded individuals for over a century. Whether it can survive another century without a change in mentality is another question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users