Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Keighley Cougars plan £5M stadium.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
170 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

Plans to be submitted to Bfd council before xmas.

I can see the stumbling block. This bunch of crooks can't fill a big hole in a city centre, never mind get behind that.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#22 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

The existing stand should be the first thing they knock down

It's an obsolete potential death trap

The newspaper report says the main stand will be the first part to be redeveloped.

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

The existing stand should be the first thing they knock down

It's an obsolete potential death trap

Obsolete - agreed but a death trap?

It's not really big enough to be a death trap.

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Obsolete - agreed but a death trap?

It's not really big enough to be a death trap.

Its size is irrelevant

I didn't say it was a death trap but a potential one

It's wooden structure and bench seats being the issue

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#25 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

The newspaper report says the main stand will be the first part to be redeveloped.

Jim said differently in his post

A modern sports stadium in the Keighley/craven area would be a superb asset to the surrounding area

Keeping it local

#26 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

I can see the stumbling block. This bunch of crooks can't fill a big hole in a city centre, never mind get behind that.

Architects rubbing their hands with glee over the money coming their way from the council for some grand designs that will be ob the front page of the T&A but will nevr come to fruition. Brown paper bags, bunging mates a few quid.

I hope it does come off, cos the stadium at the moment is a relic and anything to improve the lower leagues. But Bradford council don't have a good track record in supporting grand schemes.

#27 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

Bigger stumbling block seems to be total dependence of scheme on external funding. Big difference between applying for grants and getting them. Good on keighley for putting wheels in motion though.

#28 pahars

pahars
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Stripping the main stand back to its steel frame and rebuilding is a very interesting idea.

It would save a lot of money in demolition and construction and could be a financially viable way for other clubs to improve their facilities.

#29 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Donny is potentially a sleeping giant now......

If ever a club was "damned with faint praise", this is it.  They have the potential to become - at some point in the future - a "sleeping giant". :lol:

The term "sleeping giant" implies that they have, in the past, been a "giant".  Doncaster have never been a giant.  Nor do they have the potential to become one.

Edited by Griff, 12 December 2013 - 11:49 AM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#30 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Good Luck to you.  Been waiting 21 years for ours ! at Swinton

#31 Gansons Optician

Gansons Optician
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Good luck to Keighley, really hope this comes off. Great community club and it is always one of the first I look for when the fixtures are released, I love going to Cougar Park particularly as it holds happy memories of my first away trip with Leigh. 

One thing though, a condition of planning permission should be that the club has to continue selling those pies, beautiful! 

#32 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

Is the new construction on the existing site or in some other part of town.

If only as far as the stadium is concerned comparisons could be made with the Leigh Sports Village, anyone who has visited will concede that it is a superb facility, multi-functional with separate athletics track and field set up, swimming pool, 2 further grass rugby fields, all weather pitch (same as Widnes) and multi-sports 5 a side type pitches, it also houses Leigh East ARLFC with a fantastic 200+ club house and changing facilities.

But lets go back to the RL side of things, the Leigh club fully expected and probably deserve more bums on seats than they get since the move to LSV, there is very little improvement on the old Hilton Park days as far as numbers of speccies, would Keighley expect to see an improvement as far as the paying public is concerned, or and it is a big or, are the spectators still there?

I well remember the Cougar days and thought it a travesty that they did not get their place in the top echelon, of the top of my head I seem to recall the average attendance was somewhere in the 4 to 5K numbers, which again I will throw the in the Leigh comparison that when they won the League in 81/82 season they averaged 6K, with the passing of time and other distractions other than going to watch your local RL team, is there an audience lost for good?

I sincerely hope that Keighley get the go ahead, and it proves to be very successful, but is it the best way to get the crowds back? or is to invest in players is the way to go?

Chicken and egg situation this, which should come first.

As for the poster who thinks that they should be shut and the money given to the Bulls, all I can say is why throw good money at bad, in the same sense perhaps Leigh should not have all that spent on them and it should have gone to Wigan? 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#33 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

If only as far as the stadium is concerned comparisons could be made with the Leigh Sports Village, anyone who has visited will concede that it is a superb facility, multi-functional with separate athletics track and field set up, swimming pool, 2 further grass rugby fields, all weather pitch (same as Widnes) and multi-sports 5 a side type pitches, it also houses Leigh East ARLFC with a fantastic 200+ club house and changing facilities.

But lets go back to the RL side of things, the Leigh club fully expected and probably deserve more bums on seats than they get since the move to LSV, there is very little improvement on the old Hilton Park days as far as numbers of speccies, would Keighley expect to see an improvement as far as the paying public is concerned, or and it is a big or, are the spectators still there?

I well remember the Cougar days and thought it a travesty that they did not get their place in the top echelon, of the top of my head I seem to recall the average attendance was somewhere in the 4 to 5K numbers, which again I will throw the in the Leigh comparison that when they won the League in 81/82 season they averaged 6K, with the passing of time and other distractions other than going to watch your local RL team, is there an audience lost for good?

I sincerely hope that Keighley get the go ahead, and it proves to be very successful, but is it the best way to get the crowds back? or is to invest in players is the way to go?

As for the poster who thinks that they should be shut and the money given to the Bulls, all I can say is why throw good money at bad, in the same sense perhaps Leigh should not have all that spent on them and it should have gone to Wigan? 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#34 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

It's redeveloping the current ground. 

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#35 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

If ever a club was "damned with faint praise", this is it.  They have the potential to become - at some point in the future - a "sleeping giant". :lol:

The term "sleeping giant" implies that they have, in the past, been a "giant".  Doncaster have never been a giant.  Nor do they have the potential to become one.

They have however been "sleeping" for a good while now. ;) :lol: 

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

Stripping the main stand back to its steel frame and rebuilding is a very interesting idea.

It would save a lot of money in demolition and construction and could be a financially viable way for other clubs to improve their facilities.

it could be more costly

Keeping it local

#37 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

it could be more costly

I don't know if it is still the case but if you didn't completely demolish a building (ie left some steel frame work standing) you could qualify for certain EEU grants under some scam/euro legislation or other. If this still applies then it may be actually cheaper.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#38 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

lord lucan will be found before we build something lol

That would be lucky.

#39 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

That would be lucky.

It would be a bit of a gamble as well

Keeping it local

#40 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Does the club currently own the ground/stadium?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users