Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Keighley Cougars plan £5M stadium.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
170 replies to this topic

#41 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

It would be a bit of a gamble as well

If they are lucky Dublin the stake may happen.

#42 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

As for the poster who thinks that they should be shut and the money given to the Bulls, all I can say is why throw good money at bad, in the same sense perhaps Leigh should not have all that spent on them and it should have gone to Wigan?

Keighley shouldn't be shut! Dont misquote me!

I am saying that what will be achieved by upgrading a feeder clubs facilities that won't attract any extra players, sponsors and a handful of extra fans?

The five mill would be better upgrading the areas professional clubs facilities, and while they're at it give them back their TV cut! This would help propel RL in the area, a smaller club competeing for fans/sponsors/etc has a weakening effect!

As for leigh what good has it done them?

5 mill is a lot of money to waste!

Edited by yipyee, 12 December 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#43 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Does the club currently own the ground/stadium?

I was under the impression that the RFL had purchased the stadium some years ago?

Posted Image

#44 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

I have never been a fan of mergers because every time one happens we lose a little more territory to other sports and shrink back. In Aus and the USA where there are feeder teams that play high standard sports in decent stadiums its a good idea to have a regional pinnacle, in the UK, naff idea - see the Welsh regions for that recent debacle. RL in the UK wouldn't do any better with far less money.

Good on Keighley, 21st century ground which would host i would guess more than just RL and if I was them run with an all weather pitch - maximise income and link directly to the Bulls rather than Dewsbury, or even with Dewsbury, because its an obvious way to access player talent and make sure RL moves forward in a traditional area rather than watch it shrink as it seems to be in Bradford and the surrounding area right now, thanks in no small part to some right whazzocks being in charge there

Sport is cyclical, like everything else, and i cant see why Keighley cant have a decent ground and team, and everyone in that area help each other out to get through tough times.

I always thought the dream was a strong second tier as well as SL. There was a danger of teams disappearing outside SL but with the relative success stories of Sheffield, Leigh, Fev, Batley, Doncaster, all with progress on the filed and most with better stadiums than some of the SL teams, i would expect some SL teams in future to fall back naturally and these other teams to move up organically.

Donny is potentially a sleeping giant now, Fev are for better or worse making all the right noises in an area where 2 sl teams are struggling financially and that's just to remain competitive, so why not Keighley in 5-10 years time or less?

It keeps RL strong in the Bradford area and a natural competitor might actually bring the best out of the Bulls anyway.

I,m with you here but I hope you are ready for the onslaught to come from the gurus of the divine rights of SL.

#45 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

I am saying that what will be achieved by upgrading a feeder clubs facilities that won't attract any extra players, sponsors and a handful of extra fans?

The five mill would be better upgrading the areas professional clubs facilities, and while they're at it give them back their TV cut! This would help propel RL in the area, a smaller club competeing for fans/sponsors/etc has a weakening effect!

Firstly, I don't think Keighley want to be or regard themselves in any way shape or form as a feeder club to Bradford.

Secondly although politics has thrown the two communities under a common governmental organisation, in fact, geographically and historically they are two separate entities and the two clubs have a role in representing their own community and need to remain independent entities. If Keighley had not been abolished as an independent self governing council, I am sure the Cougars would have achieved a new stadium with local help long before now.

5 million might obtain a new stadium for Keighley but it would be a drop in the bucket as far as fixing up Odsal is concerned.

#46 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,344 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm with you here but I hope you are ready for the onslaught to come from the gurus of the divine rights of SL.

You would be with him when he announces Doncaster are a sleeping giant of RL because they can play at the Town's shiny soccer stadium. Leigh are a sleeping giant now shurely as will Keighley be with this stadium. You know it's not true.

#47 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Keighley aren't a feeder club, to say so is disrespectful. They are a team in a lower league, if they hadn't been shafted in '96 who knows what might of happend. Never again Will we see a lower league side contain the current England coach, stand off and other internationals.

By your logic you're saying there's only the top tier that means anything and sod the rest.

If keighley get the investment it's Keighleys money to build a ground for those that do or might support keighley in the future. Stating they should give it up to a bigger club is basically bullying.

#48 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

£5m will actually pay for a perfectly suitable stadium...

boston uniteds new stadium cost £5m

Suitable for what, I thought Keighley had SL ambitions, or was that waffle for the species.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#49 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Firstly, I don't think Keighley want to be or regard themselves in any way shape or form as a feeder club to Bradford.

Secondly although politics has thrown the two communities under a common governmental organisation, in fact, geographically and historically they are two separate entities and the two clubs have a role in representing their own community and need to remain independent entities. If Keighley had not been abolished as an independent self governing council, I am sure the Cougars would have achieved a new stadium with local help long before now.

5 million might obtain a new stadium for Keighley but it would be a drop in the bucket as far as fixing up Odsal is concerned.

For your first point its a noble cause doomed to failure,

For your second the council merged if you will to pool resources, Bradford being the senior partner....
Shouldn't rugby league follow the successful model?

And finally if 5 mill will build you a whole new stadium it should be enough to modify parts of odsal or at the very least buy the lease back!

#50 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

Keighley aren't a feeder club, to say so is disrespectful. They are a team in a lower league, if they hadn't been shafted in '96 who knows what might of happend. Never again Will we see a lower league side contain the current England coach, stand off and other internationals.

By your logic you're saying there's only the top tier that means anything and sod the rest.

If keighley get the investment it's Keighleys money to build a ground for those that do or might support keighley in the future. Stating they should give it up to a bigger club is basically bullying.

Iffs and butts wont change what's happened, its time to move on!
Lower league clubs are vital to the game but they need to realise they are a lower league club and are in the lower leagues for a reason! They could form a beautiful friendship with the bulls but choose to struggle on alone!
RL needs a pyramid structure in each area, in some areas there is no clear top team, in this area that battle has been fought and won! Its time to move on and each club play their part in driving the game forward!

#51 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

I'm a working class guy from Yorkshire

Should I accept my lot? Tend to my whippet and enjoy my mild? Can I now aim to move into the middles classes?

Am I not allowed to work hard Improve myself and create a better life for my family giving my kids the platform to go on and do even better?

Or should I accept that those with the better / job / house / lifestyle will always be above me?

Clubs fortunes move in circles, Bradford have been in the lower divisions, they have played in front of poor crowds like most other RL sides, no-one should be told to accept their lot.

It's the entire reason why this sport was born in 1895. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you.

#52 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

You would be with him when he announces Doncaster are a sleeping giant of RL because they can play at the Town's shiny soccer stadium. Leigh are a sleeping giant now shurely as will Keighley be with this stadium. You know it's not true.

Doncaster are now owned by the other shiny stadium tenants. Hopefully they see a future for them and are just buying them to shut them down. I would have thought Doncaster was fertile ground for you, i.e. a good sized town/city somewhat geographically removed from the heartlands of West Yorkshire and SW Lancashire with an investor ( Doncaster Rovers) and with a good stadium. 

Neither Keighley or Leigh  are sleeping giants but both are/will be better off with a decent modern stadium than they were/are in decrepit obsolete dumps. Now if Leeds can sort out Headingley. :biggrin:

#53 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Suitable for what, I thought Keighley had SL ambitions, or was that waffle for the species.

The SL requirements for stadia might undergo a drastic downwards revision when the Broncos new ground is approved so Keighley's new ground might qualify.

#54 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

Should I accept my lot? Tend to my whippet and enjoy my mild? Can I now aim to move into the middles classes?

Am I not allowed to work hard Improve myself and create a better life for my family giving my kids the platform to go on and do even better?

Or should I accept that those with the better / job / house / lifestyle will always be above me?

Clubs fortunes move in circles, Bradford have been in the lower divisions, they have played in front of poor crowds like most other RL sides, no-one should be told to accept their lot.

It's the entire reason why this sport was born in 1895. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you.

If you think the world in 1895 is remotely the same as the world in 2013 then I feel sorry for you.

Should we be looking at going back to 1875 and having the age of consent reduce to 13.

What was relevant then hardly applies at all today in most other aspects of life why should we be locked in a time warp to please a tiny minority.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#55 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

For your first point its a noble cause doomed to failure,

For your second the council merged if you will to pool resources, Bradford being the senior partner....
Shouldn't rugby league follow the successful model?

And finally if 5 mill will build you a whole new stadium it should be enough to modify parts of odsal or at the very least buy the lease back!

Have you seen the centre of Bradford, aka a bomb site? If that's a successful model then there's hope for Mogadishu.

As for Keighley becoming a feeder club to the Bulls. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

#56 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

Iffs and butts wont change what's happened, its time to move on!
Lower league clubs are vital to the game but they need to realise they are a lower league club and are in the lower leagues for a reason! They could form a beautiful friendship with the bulls but choose to struggle on alone!
RL needs a pyramid structure in each area, in some areas there is no clear top team, in this area that battle has been fought and won! Its time to move on and each club play their part in driving the game forward!

Firstly it's two distinct areas and so each club is too dog in it's area. I was there when Keighley clinched promotion by winning at the ground of the bottom club, namely Bradford. The way things are going, the Bulls will be back there soon.

#57 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

If you think the world in 1895 is remotely the same as the world in 2013 then I feel sorry for you.

Should we be looking at going back to 1875 and having the age of consent reduce to 13.

What was relevant then hardly applies at all today in most other aspects of life why should we be locked in a time warp to please a tiny minority.

Because, as the French say " the more things change, the more they stay the same". The RU denying opportunities to clubs they considered lower class Northern trash is eerily similar to SL denying opportunities to those they consider lower class upstarts from the Championships.

#58 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

Because, as the French say " the more things change, the more they stay the same". The RU denying opportunities to clubs they considered lower class Northern trash is eerily similar to SL denying opportunities to those they consider lower class upstarts from the Championships.

If that was the case the SL clubs would cut the others loose and let them sink. They haven't and won't, not because it would be detrimental to them but because they still have an affinity to them. 

There is an old saying though about biting the hand that feeds you.

#59 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

It would appear you are taking this personal?
If theres two brothers who have an equal start in life....
They can't afford a mansion, but want to be brain surgeons. ..
They both set out to be brain surgeons but only one passes the qualifications. ..
Now if you get qualified then fair enough be a brain surgeon buy the mansion, but if that's not possible then you need to accept that you are what and where you are!

Keighley will never be a brain surgeon or have the big mansion, they are where they are because of choices and situations in its history,

They had the chance to be the big boys of the region ( brain surgeon) but now they need to accept that boat has sailed they are where they are they should embrace that and move on constructively rather than be a thorn in the side of Bradford who made it as a brain surgeon!

#60 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Have you seen the centre of Bradford, aka a bomb site? If that's a successful model then there's hope for Mogadishu.

As for Keighley becoming a feeder club to the Bulls. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

The government clearly merged the local authorities to save money and become more efficient. ...

This should be mirrored in RL,
For Keighley to get stronger Bradford will get weaker, this is no good for anyone!