Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Auckland 9's

Heading for sellout

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

Apparently the Auckland 9's is heading for a sellout on both days with 36,000 tickets sold for each day even though the tournament is 2 months out. I have to admit 9's or 7's aren't my cup of tea but if they are creating big income streams and profits for the game, gaining media attention and raising the profile of RL in NZ then I can see the bigger picture and I'm all for it. Maybe adding an international dimension to future tournaments with the inclusion of say Fiji, png, England, USA etc would grow the event even more and expose players from developmental nations to even more top class RL other than the world cup.

#2 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:39 AM

Looking really good and easily heading for a two day sell-out.
It this point in ticket sales it is the greatest revenue take for any rugby league event in nz ever.
http://m.nrl.com/new...ew-record/75734

#3 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

Is this going to be on Premier Sports? Any legs in a uk or French version for Superleague?

#4 GoBroncos

GoBroncos
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

Is this going to be on Premier Sports? Any legs in a uk or French version for Superleague?

Great idea to help spread the game in France for Superleague, fast flowing footy and beats that weird thing where u have a full round at Wembley.

#5 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

Great idea to help spread the game in France for Superleague, fast flowing footy and beats that weird thing where u have a full round at Wembley.

what weird thing?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#6 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

Would we get behind it in th Uk? We wax lyrical when the Aussies try something new but moan and call it a farce when te RFL try anything.

I think a 9s tournament in the middle of summer would be great, my even invite Union team to take part.

#7 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

It should be a strategic objective of the International RL Board to get 9s in both the Olympics and the Commonwealth games.  It would provide an excellent way of growing the game internationally.

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,677 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Would we get behind it in th Uk? We wax lyrical when the Aussies try something new but moan and call it a farce when te RFL try anything.

I think a 9s tournament in the middle of summer would be great, my even invite Union team to take part.

erm...the carneige 9's

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,677 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

It should be a strategic objective of the International RL Board to get 9s in both the Olympics and the Commonwealth games.  It would provide an excellent way of growing the game internationally.

earlier this year the RLEF did a Q&A on facebook and i asked whether the RLEF thought a european 9's comp/series would be a good way to showcase RL in europe and potentially lead to a (re)introduction of the world 9's...

the short answer i got was....NO

its exactly the opposite stance the IRB have to 7's....they are using it to spread the sport around the world and a catalyst to bringing more nations into the 15man game...

OLDHAM RLFC

#10 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

earlier this year the RLEF did a Q&A on facebook and i asked whether the RLEF thought a european 9's comp/series would be a good way to showcase RL in europe and potentially lead to a (re)introduction of the world 9's...

its exactly the opposite stance the IRB have to 7's....they are using it to spread the sport around the world and a catalyst to bringing more nations into the 15man game...

That's a shame. I've often thought a Euro 9s series would be an excellent way of doing what you suggest.

#11 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

the RFL did a half hearted job in trying to get 9's going over here, and clubs didn't buy into it, but always thought it would be a great event if done properly.. like the NRL are doing.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

the RFL did a half hearted job in trying to get 9's going over here, and clubs didn't buy into it, but always thought it would be a great event if done properly.. like the NRL are doing.

If someone was putting that sort of prize money on offer, I think the UK clubs might suddenly show interest...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,677 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

well hopefully the NRL9s will be a massive success....and the RFL will replace magic with a big 9's tournament....

OLDHAM RLFC

#14 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Can't envisage that we are a global enough sport for inclusion in the Olympics, and also considering that Union is taking part in the 2016 games in Brazil, people just would not differentiate between the sports, for a matter of fact there are a lot of people born, bred and live on the M62 corridor that can't differentiate between the two sports. 

But my question is, and I hope that someone can advise, are RL players to be considered for selection for their National Olympic Teams? If not, why not, or is it a closed shop Rugby (Union) competition?.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

But my question is, and I hope that someone can advise, are RL players to be considered for selection for their National Olympic Teams? If not, why not, or is it a closed shop Rugby (Union) competition?.

No country will be obliged to include RL players - the sport included in the Olympics is Rugby Union Sevens.

They may invite RL players in some cases, but what with the RU Sevens being so established now, many countries have dedicated Sevens squads, especially the countries where RL is also played.

Now, with an Olympic medal* on the line, does a country stick with an established squad who know each others game and are used to playing as a team? Or do they take a punt on introducing a player from a different code, however talented he may be?

*and, in Rio, the glory of being the first Olympic champions at Sevens ever - an extra-special bit of posterity.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Can't envisage that we are a global enough sport for inclusion in the Olympics, and also considering that Union is taking part in the 2016 games in Brazil, people just would not differentiate between the sports, for a matter of fact there are a lot of people born, bred and live on the M62 corridor that can't differentiate between the two sports. 

If they can have the same event in rowing with different numbers in the crews, I don't see why there can't be two (different) rugby events with different numbers. Granted the rugby comps would take a bit longer than the rowing. First things first though, lets see RL in some shape or form in the Commonwealth Games. That's how union proved it out I think. I did sit/suffer through one of the days when it was held at the Manchester Commonwealth Games. I've never seen 9s, hopefully it is a bit more exciting than 7s.

As for it being a closed shop. I guess it is and it isn't. You wouldn't expect to get in any other sport because you play something similar. Tennis - Badminton, Judo - Taekwondo.

#17 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,838 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

If you read the interview with NRL chief executive Dave Smith in this week's League Express, he makes the following comment: "Anything the NRL is involved with will be top drawer as an event. Anything we do internationally will be done properly. We can create exciting events as well as anybody."

It's great to hear, and he seems to be putting that statement into practice with the NRL Nines.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

If you read the interview with NRL chief executive Dave Smith in this week's League Express, he makes the following comment: "Anything the NRL is involved with will be top drawer as an event. Anything we do internationally will be done properly. We can create exciting events as well as anybody."

It's great to hear, and he seems to be putting that statement into practice with the NRL Nines.

I can imagine the internet derision that would greet exactly the same sentiments from the RFL.

#19 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

I can see the reasons for having reservations.  The cost of sending a 9's team over is significant the potential revenue return is very limited.  If that sounds short-termist, bear in my that having cash or at least being profitable allows one to plan for the long term, until then you have to make sure that you do not go under.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#20 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

In order to be eligible for the Olympics a sport need to be played by men in 75 countries and Women in 40 countries, 

The RLIF rankings have 33 teams and i imagine the women's game has less so lots of work needed before it's even an option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users