Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Auckland 9's

Heading for sellout

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

No country will be obliged to include RL players - the sport included in the Olympics is Rugby Union Sevens.

They may invite RL players in some cases, but what with the RU Sevens being so established now, many countries have dedicated Sevens squads, especially the countries where RL is also played.

Now, with an Olympic medal* on the line, does a country stick with an established squad who know each others game and are used to playing as a team? Or do they take a punt on introducing a player from a different code, however talented he may be?

*and, in Rio, the glory of being the first Olympic champions at Sevens ever - an extra-special bit of posterity.

Thanks for that, understand your reasoning.

Thought I would just "Google" Olympic Rugby, it was actually played at the 1924 games in Paris, there were only three teams competing, they were such luminaries as Romania, USA and France, with USA getting the gold followed by France silver and Romania bronze.

Apparently there are a number of qualifying rounds taking place around the globe in 2014/15 with 12 places available at the tournament proper in both the mens and womens competitions.

Interesting to also read that in effect players from Mainland Britain can still have the opportunity to play even if their national team does not qualify i.e.

"To solve the problem of Great Britain competing as one union in the Olympics and as several in International Rugby (England, Wales, Scotland) should one team qualify (England, Wales or Scotland) than Great Britain will be awarded a spot in the Olympic Games. The three unions will then decide the composition of the Great Britain team. Please note that Northern Ireland is part of the Irish Rugby Football Union. Qualification for the Women's tournament has yet to be decided."

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thought I would just "Google" Olympic Rugby, it was actually played at the 1924 games in Paris, there were only three teams competing, they were such luminaries as Romania, USA and France, with USA getting the gold followed by France silver and Romania bronze.

Yes, Rugby Union was once in the Olympics before, but I think that was the full 15-man version, which is probably why there were only 3 teams in the actual games and qualifying rounds held earlier.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

so union are going to compete as GB.......ouch

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#24 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,688 posts

earlier this year the RLEF did a Q&A on facebook and i asked whether the RLEF thought a european 9's comp/series would be a good way to showcase RL in europe and potentially lead to a (re)introduction of the world 9's...

the short answer i got was....NO

Short sightedness as always from our game; it would be a good vehicle to introduce some of the smaller European nations to play against the bigger nations/clubs.

the RFL did a half hearted job in trying to get 9's going over here, and clubs didn't buy into it, but always thought it would be a great event if done properly.. like the NRL are doing.

Most of the clubs are only interested in the maximising their own bank accounts and not about developing the game...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#25 UxbridgeBunny

UxbridgeBunny
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

League 9's in the Olympics is a complete non-runner, someone correct me if I'm wrong but a sport can only be included in the Olympics if the governing body of no other sport objects. I'm afraid the union lot beat us to it

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

In order to be eligible for the Olympics a sport need to be played by men in 75 countries and Women in 40 countries, 

The RLIF rankings have 33 teams and i imagine the women's game has less so lots of work needed before it's even an option

It's not really an option for us and I think would do us more harm than good to pursue '9s' as an Olympo-Commonwealth sport ahead of focusing on spreading 13 a side wherever possible.

The next 'tackle football' option for the Olympics in the long term appears to be American Football - IFAF was recognised by the IOC last week and is using a 7v7 version to get enough spread to be considered for inclusion.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#27 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hopefully the NRL 9's turns in to a huge money spinner and the RFL take note. I would like to see annual 9's tournaments based around both NRL and Super League with both having international teams take part as well as all clubs. Maybe the "magic" weekend could become the "Magic 9's" with cities bidding to host it each year.

NRL/Pacific 9's - 16NRL clubs + PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, South Africa, NZ Maori, Aust. Aborigines.

SL/Euro 9's - 12SL clubs + France U23's, French Elite select, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, 2 European Qualifiers, Top 4 KPC clubs.

Finals - Top of each pool of 4, 6 qualifiers.

Debuting the euro version in Toulouse once Toulouse get in to SL would be great! But of course there are many other options and you would hope it would become a much sought after event for councils & stadiums all over the UK, France and perhaps in time Europe.

International teams would get first pick of a squad obviously then SL clubs pick the best squad they can from what players they have remaining.

Edited by jim_57, 12 December 2013 - 01:58 PM.

https://au.dryjuly.c...e/kabramudcrabs

Support myself & team Mudcrab during our Dry July 2013 challenge. Proceeds going to Cancer Support.

#28 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

Rugby League Nines will never be an Olympic sport now that Rugby Sevens is in. Anyone who thinks it has a chance is kidding themselves.

#29 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

When is the World Club championship in Australia. Could Wigan take part in this on their way to or from Australia?

#30 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

Interesting that this has proved such a hit in NZ - for the last two years I have been to the union 7s on the Gold Coast which is part of the international 7s series. The crowds both years were awful. I think this year was even worse than last. Less than half full - and the ground only holds about 25,000.

It's a really fun event though - very much a party/festival occasion, with notably a very large and colourful contingent of Fijians and Kenyans.

I'm sure an international RL 9s could be a success if done correctly, maybe not in terms of getting large numbers to watch, but in giving an outlet for the minnow countries to develop their skills and participation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users