Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What will come of the Huddersfield Giants?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 EddieCharger

EddieCharger
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

After what can only be described as a sensational season I was just wondering what we might be seeing of the Huddersfield Giants in 5 years time? Every team like Giants seem to have a glory year and slip away. What does everyone think the chances are that Giants could sustain their title credentials?

#2 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

They have been thereabouts last few years,I think they will be in Top 4 again
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#3 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

They'll be fine on the pitch for next year at least. Squad has not changed much so they have stability. Plus a fair few of the squad had good World Cups so should be buzzing after that . I don't think they'll top the table again but I didn't think they would last year either. They've improved year on year for the last few and after winning the league and getting to play-off semis, that means anything less than a visit to Old Trafford (playing, not watching) would be considered a disappointment. That's shows how far they've come in the last few years.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the recent success has been mirrored at the junior levels? Is Huddersfield becoming a hot bed of talent or at least showing signs in the right direction with other local amateur teams?

#4 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

I think Ken Davy hit the nail on the head when he said there was an entire generation in Huddersfield who had missed out on RL, and having lived there I remember watching all the old amateur clubs start to fold and new ones crop up from time to time without any assistance from Fartown, no link at all really.

The Giants on the other hand are extremely professional when it comes to the local amateur scene, a lot better than Fartown were. But its that generational link that's still a bit of a problem. Very slowly people are coming back year on year and i think the talent that's there is very very good, just not a mass of player numbers so a small pool. If you look at the Giants team and then the young lads like Jared Simpson training as part timers with the first team squad, there is a very healthy number of local lads in there, and have been for some years so I think its a case of having some very good individuals coming through rather than a whole team a la the sinfield led rhinos academy who were to be fair recruited from all over the place

there's nothing like the Wigan academy in terms of locally born player numbers and I recall seeing something from the RFL last season printed in RLW that mentioned the Giants being mid table in player production, but if you look at the number of recent England/other nations caps they have had there for local players whatever they are doing they are doing it reasonably well.

Big Frank Endicott seems to think the England contingent at the Giants will kick on and was very complimentary about Leroy Cudjoe, as local as they come, which i was particularly pleased about because although a lot of people on here don't like him as an England centre his stats were amongst the best in the competition for his position, his defence against world class players was exceptional and he did prove to be a realistic strike weapon. With a little encouragement to play more like he does at the Giants and make the final pass to his winger rather than take the ball in to the line as he repeatedly did his RLWC I think Franks right, he can only get better.

With lads like Cruse Leeming about as well, look out for more local Huddersfield players coming through this season as injuries hit.

#5 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

As long as Ken remains the Giants will do OK, There are a few other good teams around, of course and not many 'pots' to aim for, so it's pretty impossible to say who is going to win what. They'll remain in the mix for honours though, I've little doubt.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#6 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

Secret is Davy's longevity or legacy, without him I fear they will hit the ropes very quickly, for some reason the town doesn't get behind them in the numbers they deserve

#7 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

With lads like Cruse Leeming about as well, look out for more local Huddersfield players coming through this season as injuries hit.

Kruise Leeming was born in Swaziland but was raised in Halifax and played his Junior Rugby at Siddal. Joe Wardle, Jacob Fairbank, Jake Connor, Luke Robinson, Scott Grix all are from Halifax area. 

#8 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

Kruise Leeming was born in Swaziland but was raised in Halifax and played his Junior Rugby at Siddal. Joe Wardle, Jacob Fairbank, Jake Connor, Luke Robinson, Scott Grix all are from Halifax area. 

True Lizard. Halifax is now part of Greater Huddersfield of course.

Hudds have targeted youth players who live not many miles from the club; unsurprising and sensible of course. In addition, most of the signings of experienced players in the last couple of years have been English. It took the Giants a long time to develop the youth system and bring players through. It's one of the parts of building a club that takes a lot of effort and planning, as well as money and it is not referred to much when the old P&R debate comes up, with the arguments about whether  X club would be viable in Superleague.

#9 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Secret is Davy's longevity or legacy, without him I fear they will hit the ropes very quickly, for some reason the town doesn't get behind them in the numbers they deserve

Lets hope it's his legacy and not his longevity. Time will tell. The longer he is involved with the club the more likely his legacy will live on as the club will get stronger. Keep taking the tablets Ken.

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

After what can only be described as a sensational season I was just wondering what we might be seeing of the Huddersfield Giants in 5 years time? Every team like Giants seem to have a glory year and slip away. What does everyone think the chances are that Giants could sustain their title credentials?

I think they'll build caves under their bridge just big enough to fit a troll into.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#11 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

Isn't Ken Davy building some facilities around that stadium that will benefit the club in years to come?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#12 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

One of the problems the soccer team always referred to was that Ken was asset stripping HTFC. Like Koukash at Salford, when Ken saved the soccer club he also got into bed with the stadium, the council and the land around it. Ken is much maligned ion certain quarters because of this, but the reality is he seems to have set up a legacy already and those at the club have made various noises over the last couple of years that he has left the club a legacy which will include the Police cricket/athletics ground as a training facility, as well as income streams from any development around the stadium

All reported at various times in the last few years in the Examiner, in bits and pieces.

As for using Halifax as a recruiting ground, wise move, good players

#13 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Isn't Ken Davy building some facilities around that stadium that will benefit the club in years to come?

The scheme was passed by planning as far as i know and Looking at the impressions shown in the Examiner it all looked very Impressive, I'm not sure just how it affects the Giants but i believe KD is the man powering it forwards , I have no info really so dont take any of that as Gospel.

Regards the Giants , they have strengthened the pack Which is what was needed, Crabtree and Koppy had a bit too much to do last season, although IMO Bradford have got a very good player in Fergy

I wouldn't make any claims other than i think they will be competitive again next season, Anderson seems happy with them and they seem happy with him, much will depend as always on injury and such and we didn't fair as bad as many last season, hope it's the same this.

Long term I know no more than anybody else, I have no idea what KD has planned long term but i have to say, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me To spend millions of pounds on a club just to see it all wasted when you are unable to carry on, It's not just on the field where he has done a good job, It is a very professionally run club with a lot of people working very hard to get Gates up, He is always ready to stress the importance of getting the crowds up, and who can blame him.

The Giants main competition is from Town, Huddersfield has always been primarily a Football town, Ironically It's unlikely they would be here now If KD had not saved them in the same way he did Fartown, Although i think they each needed the other to survive. He has taken a lot of abuse from a section of town fans in recent years, But you would be hard pressed to find a League fan in Huddersfield with a bad word for him.

So who knows long term, but i am making Hay while the Sun shines, I've had a lot of seasons of Rain, I am quite optimistic about the future, We still lag behind the likes of Leeds and Wigan and others in producing players but we are improving, IMO the better the Giants get the better the local youngsters will get, Until we are self sustaining in young players we will have to go to areas like Fax .

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#14 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

When i think of the giants i usually end up thinking about little football clubs like Wimbledon,Blackpool,burnley etc getting into the premier league.
They'll get down to there level eventually.

#15 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Not sure I get your point?
A lot of saints juniors aren't from st helens, some of the wigan juniors aren't from wigan but its those clubs who developed them into professionals, it's not like they have filled there team with exiles!
A good youth system brings sustainability and an in depth squad with cover for every position!

#16 EddieCharger

EddieCharger
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

When i think of the giants i usually end up thinking about little football clubs like Wimbledon,Blackpool,burnley etc getting into the premier league.

I think this comment is quite disrespectful to what the club has achieved. Unlike those football clubs the giants have sustained years of build up and preparation to a time in which they can cement themselves as a top 4 side. People like Ken Davy have slugged it out for years on end with a goal that they will come out at the other side a stronger on and off field team where as Burnley and Blackpool have just had a lucky break. I would like to point out something that is completely over looked in post season conversations. At the end of every weekly round of Super League 2013 Huddersfield Giants were either 1st or 2nd in the league

#17 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

I think this comment is quite disrespectful to what the club has achieved. Unlike those football clubs the giants have sustained years of build up and preparation to a time in which they can cement themselves as a top 4 side. People like Ken Davy have slugged it out for years on end with a goal that they will come out at the other side a stronger on and off field team where as Burnley and Blackpool have just had a lucky break. I would like to point out something that is completely over looked in post season conversations. At the end of every weekly round of Super League 2013 Huddersfield Giants were either 1st or 2nd in the league

It was just wishful thinking , you know what Some League fans are like.

#18 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

It's their level actually.

#19 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

They'll be fine as long as they stay near the top. The trouble is everyone wants to be up there! It's what happens when the club ends up at the wrong end of the table that counts!

#20 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

They'll be fine as long as they stay near the top. The trouble is everyone wants to be up there! It's what happens when the club ends up at the wrong end of the table that counts!

I know the point you are making there, and it's a valid one, but the giants took a long time to get up the table, luckily Mr D also had a lot of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users