League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What will come of the Huddersfield Giants?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

im wondering just how much ken Davey has to pump into the club each season  because to be a really successful club they will need to be at least breaking even each season in the long term.

I see all the talk of sugar daddy owners but we have seen many times how it all falls apart if the  sd  dies or gets problems with his business . all clubs should be aiming to  make enough not to have to rely on someone pumping money into them each season..

of course its possible that Huddersfield are self supporting in which case good for them

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#22 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

im wondering just how much ken Davey has to pump into the club each season  because to be a really successful club they will need to be at least breaking even each season in the long term.

I see all the talk of sugar daddy owners but we have seen many times how it all falls apart if the  sd  dies or gets problems with his business . all clubs should be aiming to  make enough not to have to rely on someone pumping money into them each season..

of course its possible that Huddersfield are self supporting in which case good for them

I wouldn't think they are yet, but like you i don't know how much KD puts in, Whatever it is  he has been putting it in for a long time and he still says he is there for the long haul,

If he were to walk away tomorrow (hopefully not ) I would have nothing but praise for the man, I don't even know why he picked Huddersfield, as far as i know he wasn't even a Rugby fan, I think It's his good lady who is the League fan,  As far as i'm concerned they are top people, League could do with some more of them.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#23 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

There must be fan potential in Huddersfield.I know they lost over a generation of fans,but I can remember when they had a really good following.It must be still there to be rekindled

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#24 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

There must be fan potential in Huddersfield.I know they lost over a generation of fans,but I can remember when they had a really good following.It must be still there to be rekindled

Yes i think you are right, and I'm not certain of the figures but i think when KD took over the crowds were about 2,500 ,I know they have increased a lot, last year about 8.000 i think, but dropped back a bit this last season after 2 collapes, As i have said the main problem for the Giants is that Town are going reasonably well.

#25 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yes i think you are right, and I'm not certain of the figures but i think when KD took over the crowds were about 2,500 ,I know they have increased a lot, last year about 8.000 i think, but dropped back a bit this last season after 2 collapes, As i have said the main problem for the Giants is that Town are going reasonably well.

Don't they do any 'crossover' season ticket deals? It seems an obvious thing to do when you share a ground, well, it seems obvious from a distance!

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#26 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Don't they do any 'crossover' season ticket deals? It seems an obvious thing to do when you share a ground, well, it seems obvious from a distance!

They did some sort of deals with vouchers in the Season ticket books at one time, Don't know if they have this time. KD is very unpopular with a lot of Town fans , which considering he saved them is a bit poor really but they see him as having favoured the Giants over them,. That's fans for you, for me Town could go right down the pan, but i think both clubs need each other to survive.

A lot will depend if the Giants can keep up to the pace, If they can i think they will improve slowly, If they can't then without Mr Davy's input they will, go down the tubes. As i have said i don't know what his plans are, And i don't know what their other sources of income are.

They are at present the best they have been since the 1950s so i am quite happy. I shall continue to support them as long as i can, It has taken me a long time to stop referring to them as Fartown, but to be Honest I will call them anything he wants to call them, he is entitled to that.

#27 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

Were they officially known as Fartown ? Where was the old ground ?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#28 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

Were they officially known as Fartown ? Where was the old ground ?

Huddersfield RL club have never been officially known as Fartown.

In Huddersfield the rugby club is known as 'Fartown' the football club is known as 'Town'.

The old ground is in the Huddersfield suburb of Fartown.

#29 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Should have been clearer , where abouts in Fartown ? I ve been through a few times always wondered. I'm guessing it's long since been demolished.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#30 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

There are a small number of people in Huddersfield who like Rugby League enough to pay money to watch it.

As long as Ken Davey is one of them no problem.

#31 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

I thought the pitch at fartown was still there  ?. the stands are long since gone but I seem to remember st josephs  playing on it a couple of seasons back

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#32 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

I thought the pitch at fartown was still there  ?. the stands are long since gone but I seem to remember st josephs  playing on it a couple of seasons back

Yes. It's still there.

#33 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Should have been clearer , where abouts in Fartown ? I ve been through a few times always wondered. I'm guessing it's long since been demolished.

It is off to the right of  Bradford rd Coming into town from Bradford, pitch still there , rest in a poor state, Main stand burned down a long time ago, It had IMO the best terrace in Rugby league in It's day.

#34 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

Best terrace bar none and one of the best pitches too

#35 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

I am looking forward to seeing how Jared Simpson and Kruise Leeming progress next year, i've been told they are great prospects for the future. 

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#36 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

It is off to the right of  Bradford rd Coming into town from Bradford, pitch still there , rest in a poor state, Main stand burned down a long time ago, It had IMO the best terrace in Rugby league in It's day.

Is the cricket ground still there too? It seems an age since Yorkshire used to play some games there, mind, I think they'd get a nosebleed if they had to play anywhere but Leeds these days..

Edited by Bulliac, 16 December 2013 - 11:23 AM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#37 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Spaines Road.

#38 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Is the cricket ground still there too? It seems an age since Yorkshire used to play some games there, mind, I think they'd get a nosebleed if they had to play anywhere but Leeds these days..

Don't know if any cricket is played there , but i would very much doubt it, It had become the car park for Fartown and the pavillion has been a varioety of things, That may still be there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users