Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sport England Participation Numbers

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

The results are in for October to October and we are now at 53,500 people aged 16+ playing rugby league once a week.

This is up from the April to April figure but well down from the first collected figures from 2006.

Link

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Moan alert from me ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/25346493

Where's RL in that table?!!!

#3 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

The comparison can only go from April to April, it's was totally illegitimate to change their benchmarking then go oh look you've declined by this amount.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#4 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

There's something I'm just not getting here.

How come RL has 50,000 odd participants and equestrian has over 300,000.

It's an expensive game being involved with horses. Are there that many people in this country can afford it?

Where are all this horses. I've never seen a horse in Barrow. Clearly I've lead a sheltered life.

Are they including donkey rides on Blackpool beach?

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

It's an expensive game being involved with horses. Are there that many people in this country can afford it?

Where are all this horses. I've never seen a horse in Barrow. Clearly I've lead a sheltered life.

You don't have to own a horse to ride: thousands of people don't

There are equestrian centres all over the country

Riding for the disabled does a fantastic job and has thousands of participants

Your last comment is arrogant

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#6 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

You don't have to own a horse to ride: thousands of people don't
There are equestrian centres all over the country
Riding for the disabled does a fantastic job and has thousands of participants

Your last comment is arrogant

Thank you for the illumination,I am indeed grateful.

I had no idea, as I said 'clearly I've had a sheltered life'.

However my last comment is flippant not arrogant.

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thank you for the illumination,I am indeed grateful.

I had no idea, as I said 'clearly I've had a sheltered life'.

However my last comment is flippant not arrogant.

My apologies

You weren't arrogant I was irritable

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#8 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

The results are in for October to October and we are now at 53,500 people aged 16+ playing rugby league once a week.

This is up from the April to April figure but well down from the first collected figures from 2006.

Link

Is this is the crazy survey that once had 900 people in Cornwall playing rugby league on a regular basis? I think 'opinion poll' surveying is completely inaccruate for measuring this kind of thing.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#9 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'm not sure whether the survey refers to activity or competition. Is, for example, mountain walking competitive?

If it is just activity then there are a lot of people who ride horses for leisure. The number that will compete in registered equestrian events will be a lot less.

On the basis that it is measuring activity, my son and I are going to play rugby league on St Andrews beach against Max, our Black Lab (he is a great winger, really working at avoiding the tackle; when he is tackled, and told to 'leave', he places the ball on the ground and steps over it - definitely a league dog!).

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#10 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

The figures for boxing are impressive.

#11 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

It might well be a figure for all people training in boxing gyms rather than actively fighting bouts?

#12 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

It might well be a figure for all people training in boxing gyms rather than actively fighting bouts?

I think you are probably right and on that bases RL clubs should open their gyms to the public and boost their figures.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

I think you are probably right and on that bases RL clubs should open their gyms to the public and boost their figures.

A little investigative journalism into how each sport arrives at their official figures would, I think, be very illuminating.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

How many rugby clubs actually have their own gym though?  But I think the RFL are aware of ideas to boost particiaption numbers, e.g promoting touch RL.

#15 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

A little investigative journalism into how each sport arrives at their official figures would, I think, be very illuminating.

Agreed!

#16 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'm not sure whether the survey refers to activity or competition. Is, for example, mountain walking competitive?

If it is just activity then there are a lot of people who ride horses for leisure. The number that will compete in registered equestrian events will be a lot less.

On the basis that it is measuring activity, my son and I are going to play rugby league on St Andrews beach against Max, our Black Lab (he is a great winger, really working at avoiding the tackle; when he is tackled, and told to 'leave', he places the ball on the ground and steps over it - definitely a league dog!).

I can help increase numbers in this fledgling East of Scotland Doggie RL - our collie and springer are both ball obsessed and well versed in fighting to retain possession.

#17 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'd imagine Trojan horse has seen a lot more boxing around Barrow than he has equestrianism, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#18 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

This is the how participation is measured.

The specific measure relates to people who have participated at least once a week for 30 minutes of moderate intensity.

So if you cycled to work you would count on the list for cycling, if you ran you would be on the athletics list though neither
sports controlling body knew you existed unless you were a club member.

#19 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'd imagine Trojan horse has seen a lot more boxing around Barrow than he has equestrianism, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

Steady.

Barrow is a highly respectable place, I,ll have you know.

A Councillor once suggested it should be twinned with Miami in the United States of America no less.

It never happened, something about the cost of the air fare to send a delegate.

Miami's loss I say.

#20 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

This is the how participation is measured.

The specific measure relates to people who have participated at least once a week for 30 minutes of moderate intensity.

So if you cycled to work you would count on the list for cycling, if you ran you would be on the athletics list though neither
sports controlling body knew you existed unless you were a club member.

Not quite. That is the definition of participation not how it's measured. How do sport England know if I cycle to work or not, you don't need to join a club to do that.

I suspect they take a very small sample of the population at random and multiply up the numbers. I would like to know how significant (in the statistical sense) the figures are. As someone pointed out this is how you get to 900 playing in Cornwall - pure sampling chance and not based on governing body figures.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users