Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting reading especially for the NCL clubs

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 mr chairman

mr chairman
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

Playing rugby league should be open to everyone at all levels , why be restrictive

#22 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

DR will give a few top clubs an unfair advantage,

#23 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

DR will give a few top clubs an unfair advantage,

Which teams and why?

DR will only mean young lads will continue to get a game whilst training up to the chance of a pro team run out or fringe/injured players looking for a game or two to get up to speed with their former community club. It looks like it'll be restricted to 3 such players per team including under 18's.

A lot has been made about these "pro players" when often they are a 17 year old who signed forms to train with a pro club about 3 months earlier. How is that going to distort anything?

#24 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

Edited by The 4 of Us, 17 December 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#25 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

I can't see it getting voted in to be honest, it wouldn't benefit most clubs, at Skirlaugh it would probably help if done right. But there are many clubs that at this point in time don't provide the academy set ups with lots of players so have non to return

#26 mr chairman

mr chairman
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Smell the coffee it's happening now and was happening a couple of years ago ask a few ncl clubs , there was a way round it regarding terms and condition players , contract players , the pro clubs demoted the players to terms and conditions , played for the u18 then played open age . Leigh miners played josh ward under something similar

#27 mr chairman

mr chairman
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

It can work , it's how the amateur clubs head coach deals with it , you wouldn't want a player who as come through the ranks to be on the verge of a 1st team spot only to get knocked back by a dr . Then again if a coach as a long away game and is short of players and nobody coming through from 2nd team he could ask the pro club for a player or two . Leigh east could have done with that a couple of years ago ha ha

#28 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Which teams and why?
DR will only mean young lads will continue to get a game whilst training up to the chance of a pro team run out or fringe/injured players looking for a game or two to get up to speed with their former community club. It looks like it'll be restricted to 3 such players per team including under 18's.
A lot has been made about these "pro players" when often they are a 17 year old who signed forms to train with a pro club about 3 months earlier. How is that going to distort anything?

Your team will benefit in our area without a doubt, St Pats Attract players and rightly so, with the amount of talent St Pats have produced over the years it is a natural starting point for young kids, with DR I believe it will creat a few supper club in a few towns, why do the pro clubs not leave these 17 year olds where they are until they are ready to commit and and put them on the pay role instead of taking all the promising young talent and then tossing them all to one side and keeping the one are two that where good enough in the first place

#29 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

It can work , it's how the amateur clubs head coach deals with it , you wouldn't want a player who as come through the ranks to be on the verge of a 1st team spot only to get knocked back by a dr . Then again if a coach as a long away game and is short of players and nobody coming through from 2nd team he could ask the pro club for a player or two . Leigh east could have done with that a couple of years ago ha ha

A lot of ifs and buts , their will only be a few clubs that will be able to link into a pro club so will be at an advantage

#30 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

Why is the NCL not open to each and every player, regardless of who he has played for before, or whether he got paid for it?

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#31 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

A lot of ifs and buts , their will only be a few clubs that will be able to link into a pro club so will be at an advantage

Don't this is about pro-am links more about younger players being able to play longer for their community club after signing forms with a pro team.

I know what you say earlier about pro clubs hanging off signing. That would be great in a perfect world but once the kid is interested you'll never get the genie back in the bottle. Look at the Shaun Edwards and Andy Farrell's of this world. Exceptional talents but should they really have stayed were they were. This allows them to dip a toe in pro waters and develop that bit more and hopefully pass some tips onto their amateur team mates.

We need to move on from pro-am distinction. Union has and have done pro better than RL ever have.

I've said it before but you could be an unpaid Pro RL players with a contract but can't play NCL but get £100k a year playing RU and still play NCL. Where exactly do we want to our players to go?

#32 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

Andy Farrell and Shaun Edwards had a reserve team to play in if needed and these would be the two players I refered to not getting thrown back so to speak, DR has been on the cards for a few years with the NCL clubs,
Were the players should go is a long debate but in my opinion DR with NCL clubs will creat a few supper clubs

#33 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Andy Farrell and Shaun Edwards had a reserve team to play in if needed and these would be the two players I refered to not getting thrown back so to speak, DR has been on the cards for a few years with the NCL clubs,
Were the players should go is a long debate but in my opinion DR with NCL clubs will creat a few supper clubs

The limit is 3 including U18's per club. Unless it's Edwards, Farrell plus A.N.Other I think you're at risk of overstating the effect. I don't think it'll change anything.

There's a good spread of players signing throughout the amateur game. I think any DR will reflect that.

#34 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:28 AM

I think 3 players could make a massive difference in a side, just imagine a good 6, 7, & 9 being dropped in a decent team wich granted will not happen week in week out, just imagine ST Pats going to play miners in the last game needing a victory to win the league or even avoid relegation and miners get 3 pro players for the game and win, what would your veiw be on that one? Also I have no wish to go off subject but a good proportion off NCL sides stuggle to turn out a reserve side, even yours,

So just imagine you have played the last eight games and you havnt missed a training session and then your coach asked you to drop in the second team ( if they have a game ) or rest this week (a nicer way of saying your dropped) so he can play a DR player, the week after the DR player isn't there and your back in the team to go play in Hull the week after, how many players will tolerate that ?

Doesn't do much for player retention does it,

A lot more ifs and but , but completely plausible don't you think,

#35 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

Who exactly is it you believe any pro club will risk their recently signed SoO Aussie halfback or the 17 year old academy player who 4 months previously had left the same amateur club.

You're unlikely to see many arrangements were pro clubs are placing players anywhere other than their original community team, unless they're willing to pay for the privilege, simply because the amateur club is likely to want its own players to benefit from such an arrangement.

#36 billybison

billybison
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

The pro clubs have as I understand it have no option but to send their semi-pro players back to there original community clubs. Your club have been producing players for the pro game for 100 years.I would think the head coach of your first team given the choice would choose three semi-pro players over academy players.Our club was formed in 1997 and our first batch of kids are now with super league clubs, so there are no semi -pro at Championships clubs out there for us.I don't speak for our club but I would be surprised if they were in favour.

#37 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

Surely U17 players will have their own academy fixtures to play in,DR is just a way for shortsighted super league clubs who abandoned the previous structure to save money.It was a shambles in  championship 1 and 2 last season.

#38 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

I wouldn't imagine any club would bring an Aussie over and send him to an NCL club, players will get passed down hill so to speak which is the whole idea of DR
DR will allow team to get a turbo boost of talent during different times in the season which will only result in more unpredictability of a teams form and not give a true reflection of a true league, the idea in principle sound good it's just I believe if the rule gets voted in it will be added too at a later stage and taken advantage off

#39 bountyhunter

bountyhunter
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

what about the players that get dropped for these dual reg players dont think they would be too pleased getting dropped every over wk

#40 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

what about the players that get dropped for these dual reg players dont think they would be too pleased getting dropped every over wk

I think that's a problem with the Championship DR schemes as well. How did the Swinton standoff who got dropped for a one off appearance by Lee Briers feel ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users