question about home grown talent

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

My question is . If a club brings through lots of home grown talent where is the benefit please. As I see it the club pays for the young talent to be brought through and play for the first team. After say the second season of firat team rugby the youngster would tgen demand the appropriate salary or leave as the contract ends and play for another team. Or is there a fee payable for players from academies. If not why bother you may as well pay old Aussies the salary (as my team have).

#2 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

there is I belive a fee for players of academy age  but I don't think many of the players a club really want to retain leave as they get looked after .

the benefit of bringing through home grown talent can be seen at headingley with the majority of the first team having come through the academy system at leeds . its not always all about the money  as its often been quoted that a lot of the leeds players could have earned more at other clubs  but  the spirit around the place keeps them and the way they get treated as well.  yes they do get well paid but within a clear salary structure based on acheviment  not on who makes the biggest demands .

the pay structure has led to leeds missing out on certain players as they wont break it for any player  but it does mean all players know the situation and its up to them to preform  and step up the payment ladder .

give young players the chance and in the main they will stay loyal if there treated in a fair manner

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#3 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

there is I belive a fee for players of academy age  but I don't think many of the players a club really want to retain leave as they get looked after .

the benefit of bringing through home grown talent can be seen at headingley with the majority of the first team having come through the academy system at leeds . its not always all about the money  as its often been quoted that a lot of the leeds players could have earned more at other clubs  but  the spirit around the place keeps them and the way they get treated as well.  yes they do get well paid but within a clear salary structure based on acheviment  not on who makes the biggest demands .

the pay structure has led to leeds missing out on certain players as they wont break it for any player  but it does mean all players know the situation and its up to them to preform  and step up the payment ladder .

give young players the chance and in the main they will stay loyal if there treated in a fair manner

Seems about right.

Over the past decade Leeds have set the bench mark with Wigan and now St Helens following, if everyone else could produce the number of players these have over the last few seasons we would see some real competion for international places.

I am actually quite optomistic that this is what is happening.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#4 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Its also more cost effective to have your squad players (numbers 18 onwards) as up and coming players on a fraction of the wage it would cost to sign and pay established pros...

These young players know they will get a shot at first team during the season and will be playing for a pro contract, at the end of the season a decision will be made to release either a first teamer or the squad member if the former then it will free up money to increase the contract of the squad player. ..

Also doesnt only 50% of a homegrown players wage count towards the cap?

#5 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

I see the model Leeds have. But you can't tell me the likes of Shinfield and maguire aren't two of the best paid players in the country.
Also my point is Leeds have had a lot of success in the past 10 years, I don't believe many players have left for more money simply the Coach didn't them or retired to the gold coast ect.
If you take zak hardaker he must have cosy more money to get to where he is now than if Leeds had bought a top aussie.
So surely the rfl should make it worth the clubs bringing talent through.
Maybe a transfer fee should be paid for any home grown talent contact ended or not.
Our add yipyee says no salary cap for xx number of years for playing home grown players

#6 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

McGuire and sinfiled are in the top teir of players at leeds and will have that reflected in there contracts  but they started out on part time academy wages and had to prove there worth  .

there have been players who left leeds for more money  but to be honest they have mostly not been worth the extra other clubs paid for them   mark Calderwood is a perfect example of a player who thought he was worth more than leeds were paying him and there have been others.

hardaker was not a leeds academy player he was bought from Featherstone but was not on the biggest of wages  but wanted to prove himself  in the top grade and has earned a better contract on the back of good preformances .  other players who have come into the team have had to preform or when there contracts up there not offerd another ifor instance liam hood  .

you can not in law force a transfer fee on a player who is out of contract by the way

#7 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

50% cap exemption for home grown academy players?

25% exemption for UK players at the club for 5 years or more

10% exemption for UK players at the club for 3 years or more

???

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

my personal opinion is that home grown players are a necessity for any club, i feel that every team should be made up of at least 50% home grown talent and they should have exemptions under the cap for doing so.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

I see the model Leeds have.

I liked the RFL's approach of making all SL clubs run academies full stop. Make them all do it.

Rewarding clubs for the players they develop may lead to the wealthy clubs being able to buy up the best juniors from outside their areas, taking them off the local SL club and being rewarded with money so they can carry on hogging the best juniors.

We'll never get an evenly contested Superleague until all clubs in it can keep their local players. I'd guess in the old days this is how you would get teams rise and fall rather than the same clubs win all the time.

#10 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

making all clubs run an academy does not ensure they will put serious time into it some may just pay lip service to it and get whatever grant is avalible from the rfl for it .

I thought there was already a service area agreement in place which restricts the number of players you can recuit from outside your area  ?.

we also have the problem of super league teams been so close together that its hard to  really say which area a player is from  take for instance garforth  who run junior teams and is in the leeds area but a hell of a lot of people from that area support Castleford  the same sort of thing  goes for many clubs  .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users