Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Format for the next World Cup?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

So after the success of the World Cup, should we stick with the same number of teams and a similar format? Do we want a return to having the big three in the same group and no quarter finals?

Personally I liked the 2013 format and number of teams, although the cross-group matches seemed a bit odd. 

Perhaps we could have three groups of five with two groups producing three QFs and the other producing two?

Using this years teams plus one qualifier, maybe the following:

Group A - Australia, England, Ireland, PNG, Cook Islands

Group B - New Zealand, Fiji, Scotland, Italy, Tonga

Group C - France, Wales, Samoa, USA, Qualifier

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Not a bad idea.

If we go with the same format, I'd like to see the QF worked out differently

Winner A v 3rd B
Winner B v 3rd A
2nd A v Winner C
2nd B v Winner D

Which would have been
Australia v France
NZ v Fiji
England v Scotland
Samoa v USA

Though that does leave the possibility of repeat fixtures in the semis
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

The problem with the currrent format is that NZ may not have played Aus if Eng had won. More money could have been made by having an Aus v Kiwi clash early on. I would suggest a Super Pool of the top four ranks to decide QF lineup (i.e. No-one goes out) and two minnow pools with the top two in each going through to the QF

Edited by Lobbygobbler, 13 December 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#4 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

No more super pools and lets just be like everyone else.

#5 pahars

pahars
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I wouldn't want groups of five because the opening round would go on too long and spoil the momentum of the tournament.

#6 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

The problem with the currrent format is that NZ may not have played Aus if Eng had won. More money could have been made by having an Aus v Kiwi clash early on. I would suggest a Super Pool of the top four ranks to decide QF lineup (i.e. No-one goes out) and two minnow pools with the top two in each going through to the QF

Yeah, just swap NZ & England around for down under to get the Aus v NZ match as Opener

#7 7723

• Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

I would like to see 16 teams split into 4 even groups. Top 2 of each group go onto the quarter finals where the winner of group A plays the runner up of group B etc.

#8 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Four groups of four, ranked, and decided by being pulled out of a hat.

4 tiers of teams, with one tier in each group

Tier 1 - Eng, Aus, NZ, Fiji

Tier 2 - France, Scotland, Samoa, USA

Tier 3 - Tonga, Italy, Wales, PNG

Tier 4 - Ireland, CI, AN1, AN2

Top 2 through to QF's.

With the WC growing there will be more and more heritage players putting their hand up. This will make it more competitive.

There should be a rule though that 20% of the squad have to have played in their chosen countries domestic competition at some point, or been born there.

#9 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

I would like to see twelve teams, in two group of six, each playing each other before splitting off into four lots of three.

Quite what happens then, I've not decided, but I'm sure if anybody's still watching we can make it up from there.

People called Romans they go the house

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Four groups of four, ranked, and decided by being pulled out of a hat.

4 tiers of teams, with one tier in each group

Tier 1 - Eng, Aus, NZ, Fiji

Tier 2 - France, Scotland, Samoa, USA

Tier 3 - Tonga, Italy, Wales, PNG

Tier 4 - Ireland, CI, AN1, AN2

Top 2 through to QF's.

With the WC growing there will be more and more heritage players putting their hand up. This will make it more competitive.

It won't make it competitive enough for that format.

Just remind me of the Australia-Fiji semi final score ...... that was between two of your Tier 1 countries.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#11 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 632 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

I would like to see twelve teams, in two group of six, each playing each other before splitting off into four lots of three.

Quite what happens then, I've not decided, but I'm sure if anybody's still watching we can make it up from there.

:biggrin:

#12 BenGilesRL

BenGilesRL
  • Twitter
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Group A: Aus, NZ, England (play each other twice)
B: Four of the rest
C: Four of the rest
D: Four of the rest

Top 2 of A to Semi Finals

Top 2 of B, C & D through to 2nd rnd

Winners of these three matches to 3rd round. Worst winner plays 3rd Group A.

Winners to semis.

#13 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,909 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

What is it with people wanting to constantly swap and change? The World Cup was highly successful this year so we should stick with that format. If we are to make change, the only one would be to add two extra teams in order to stop the cross-pool matches. Simple...

We seriously need to move away from attempting to constantly change structures; perfection does not exist in sport...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Group A: Aus, NZ, England (play each other twice)
B: Four of the rest
C: Four of the rest
D: Four of the rest

Top 2 of A to Semi Finals

Top 2 of B, C & D through to 2nd rnd

Winners of these three matches to 3rd round. Worst winner plays 3rd Group A.

Winners to semis.

There's a lot of blank weeks in there for some teams.  What's so attractive about the notion of teams getting a bye to a round to be played a month later ?

#15 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

What is it with people wanting to constantly swap and change? The World Cup was highly successful this year so we should stick with that format. If we are to make change, the only one would be to add two extra teams in order to stop the cross-pool matches. Simple...

We seriously need to move away from attempting to constantly change structures; perfection does not exist in sport...

Wholeheartedly agree.

#16 BenGilesRL

BenGilesRL
  • Twitter
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Weekend 1 matches

A (1) B (2) C (2) D (2)

Mid Week

A (1)

Weekend 2 matches

A (1) B (2) C (2) D (2)

Midweek

A (1)

Weekend 3 matches

A (1) B (2) C (2) D (2)

Mid week

A (1)

Weekend 4 matches

Top 2 B/C/D Round 2

Mid week

Bottom Group A v lowest Round 2 winner
Other Round 2 winners versus.

Weekend 5 Semi Finals

Weekend 6 Final

#17 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

The same as this one OR add two more countries and cancel cross group matches. Most important thing should be to fast track/ target four countries outside the big three so as to ensure QF and second SF are more competitive.