Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,079 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

How do you go about doing one? I know the gist of them but don't have a clue really.

Is this the one where you include a pic of the wife sunbathing and it's totally hilarious?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

The secret of PowerPoint presentations: 3 slides maximum regardless of the content.

Slide 1: presentation title and your name as a placeholder until you start
Slide 2: a few bullet points of the main subject headings
Slide 3: a few bullet points as a summary

You only have more than that if you want to bore people to death. The more you have on the screen, the less they'll listen to you. I once did an afternoon seminar of 3.5hrs with just 3 slides.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

The secret of PowerPoint presentations: 3 slides maximum regardless of the content.

You only have more than that if you want to bore people to death. The more you have on the screen, the less they'll listen to you. I once did an afternoon seminar of 3.5hrs with just 3 slides.

You talked non-stop for 3 and a half hours?

A Fev Blog

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

You talked non-stop for 3 and a half hours?

Breaks on 45m and 45m from end with a longer break halfway through. It was a strategy presentation on a multinational merger explaining to the board all the complexities of doing such a merger, not something readily accomplishable over a short meeting with coffee!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'm not quite that frugal with my slides, quite often need some tables or figures to back up what I'm saying, be shared around after it as a record for governance. I do agree with keeping it to a minimum though, nothing more sleep inducing that someone reading word for word of a PowerPoint presentation.

Clip art and animation effects? Not if you want to be taken seriously.

My general question is to ask how what I'm putting on the slide adds to the information and/or clarity of what I'm saying. Unless it clearly and obviously does I'll leave it out.
  • ckn likes this

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Stay away from animation and sound effects but use on of the themes. It makes the presentation look so much more professional and it just takes a couple of cliks to set up.

• ckn likes this

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Breaks on 45m and 45m from end with a longer break halfway through. It was a strategy presentation on a multinational merger explaining to the board all the complexities of doing such a merger, not something readily accomplishable over a short meeting with coffee!

Good man. Ive always found the balance between talking time and visuals hard to achieve. I must admit my pet hate is folk preparing slides and then just reading off them. Why?

Since starting my own business my aim has been to make as many meetings as possible stand-up rather than sit down. In your case though, that'd've been cruel. :sleep:

• ckn likes this

A Fev Blog

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,079 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm presuming you prepare all this on a laptop or what? Lol at the luddite

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

Microsoft PowerPoint. Comes with most MS Office packages. I then usually use my own laptop to display on a projector but some places insist on using their own.

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Yup, best to use your own laptop if at all possible. Fewer surprises that way. Have a back-up plan just in case you can't. And avoid reliance on USB sticks, they aren't reliable.

• ckn likes this

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

I always arrive with my PPP on a pen-drive and assume (in reality having checked) the company Im going to will have the hardware set up.

• ckn likes this

A Fev Blog

#12 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Yup, best to use your own laptop if at all possible. Fewer surprises that way. Have a back-up plan just in case you can't. And avoid reliance on USB sticks, they aren't reliable.

:tongue:  Just posted the opposite! TBH never had any problems.

• ckn likes this

A Fev Blog

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,079 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Thanks all.
  • ckn likes this

#14 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Good man. Ive always found the balance between talking time and visuals hard to achieve. I must admit my pet hate is folk preparing slides and then just reading off them. Why?

Since starting my own business my aim has been to make as many meetings as possible stand-up rather than sit down. In your case though, that'd've been cruel. :sleep:

If I'm trying to gloss over something then I'll put some graphics up with lots of text in it, they're so intent on reading that they don't listen!

If I want a typically noisy audience or one that I know will ask lots of questions at awkward times to shut up then I organise food. Breakfast presentations with bacon and egg rolls provided are a great way to have a silent presentation.

If I want undiluted attention for a minute then I click B followed by W in PowerPoint. It blacks the screen then whites it, that flash somehow makes people concentrate more while there's nothing on the screen.

The best way to get a clue about how good you are at presenting is to get someone to video you doing one then you sit back and cringe at it.

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

:tongue: Just posted the opposite! TBH never had any problems.

Have both and an online copy as well! A good friend of mine went to NY to do a presentation and had his laptop and all other electronic goods confiscated at airport security as they wanted to check something. He couldn't wait and they said he could get them back on the way out the country. Cue him panicking and his wife rushing home from work to get another copy emailed to him from his home computer.

#16 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thanks all.

They're actually quite easy if you keep it simple. They only become difficult or complex if you add complex stuff.

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

The best way to get a clue about how good you are at presenting is to get someone to video you doing one then you sit back and cringe at it.

Ive had that a few times. It's an educational eye-opener that's for sure.

• ckn likes this

A Fev Blog

#18 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Sorry but how you can be so cut and dry is ridiculous - there is absolutely no way on earth i could do my presentations with 3 slides, 1 of which being a title page
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#19 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

Do NOT simply have a list of bullet points that you read out. Reading aloud is not a skill admired outside primary school and your audience can read faster than you can talk. PPPs are really best for displaying tables, charts, photos and other illustrations.

Do not 'open' the editable file in full view of the audience, it looks very unprofessional and when you cannot find it get you very flustered - create a show file and launch that, use control b to toggle display on and off screen.

LUNEW.jpg

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,079 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

They're actually quite easy if you keep it simple. They only become difficult or complex if you add complex stuff.

There'll be no danger of that. ;)
  • ckn likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users