Power Point Presentations

Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

:tongue:  Just posted the opposite! TBH never had any problems.

I did.

I had to do a "microteach" at a local college. I took my laptop which they didn't let me use. So I whipped out my USB stick which their computer refused to recognise. Luckily I uploaded everything onto dropbox and could just download it.

This kind of thing has happened to me a few times.

#22 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Sorry but how you can be so cut and dry is ridiculous - there is absolutely no way on earth i could do my presentations with 3 slides, 1 of which being a title page

It's easy with practice.  When you have people reading what's on the screen they're not listening to you.  If you're trying to get content across on a screen then you're inviting them to ignore you completely while they process the content.  A presentation is probably the worst format possible to get long-term high-quality memory retention of your message but acts as a good starter before the later non-presentation information dissemination.

My second slide bullets are what I'd have as chapter or major section headings if writing a report.  If I'm doing a presentation on a major subject and have been asked to do a full service then I'll be submitting a later report using those headings as the major subjects.  My first minutes of the presentation are scene settings, "telling them what I'm going to tell them".  The bulk is the "telling them" bit.  The last 5 minutes of the presentation are the "telling them what I've told them" bit followed by Q&A.  Classic teacher training stuff...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

Agreed. The info in the bullet points should just be a brief summary of what you say or merely a list of things that you will talk about.

#24 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

The secret of PowerPoint presentations: 3 slides maximum regardless of the content.

Slide 1: presentation title and your name as a placeholder until you start
Slide 2: a few bullet points of the main subject headings
Slide 3: a few bullet points as a summary

You only have more than that if you want to bore people to death. The more you have on the screen, the less they'll listen to you. I once did an afternoon seminar of 3.5hrs with just 3 slides.

Amateur. At a recent client kick off meeting we managed a glorious 180 slides in a whole day meeting. The client were more than happy to let us get on with the project in the fear that we might visit them again and present at them for hours and hours.

In all seriousness the company I work for is now pushing for slideless meetings, the issue being that clients expect to see some sort of presentation in return for paying $10millions for projects so we are going for the moderate middle ground. It had got a bit out of hand as some teams just got silly and trying to keep everyone within their allocated time was becoming a battle.

Powerpoint is a useful tool, but like alcohol should be used in moderation. 

28m391z.jpg

#25 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

It's easy with practice. When you have people reading what's on the screen they're not listening to you. If you're trying to get content across on a screen then you're inviting them to ignore you completely while they process the content. A presentation is probably the worst format possible to get long-term high-quality memory retention of your message but acts as a good starter before the later non-presentation information dissemination.

My second slide bullets are what I'd have as chapter or major section headings if writing a report. If I'm doing a presentation on a major subject and have been asked to do a full service then I'll be submitting a later report using those headings as the major subjects. My first minutes of the presentation are scene settings, "telling them what I'm going to tell them". The bulk is the "telling them" bit. The last 5 minutes of the presentation are the "telling them what I've told them" bit followed by Q&A. Classic teacher training stuff...

Absolutely, if you're going to write slides - even in bullet points - that simply repeat what you're telling them, then you might as well give them a handout and all go to the pub!

Incidentally, I once did 3.5 hr presentation to a bunch of vicars. I made the mistake of telling them to stop me with any questions!

LUNEW.jpg

#26 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

How do you go about doing one? I know the gist of them but don't have a clue really.

Is this the one where you include a pic of the wife sunbathing and it's totally hilarious?

Is this with ref to a specific occasion like maybe a job interview ?
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#27 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Johnoco, on 13 Dec 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:snapback.png

How do you go about doing one? I know the gist of them but don't have a clue really.

Is this the one where you include a pic of the wife sunbathing and it's totally hilarious?

Whether thats's a good idea ot not depends on how good-looking his wife is I guess.

A Fev Blog

#28 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

In all seriousness the company I work for is now pushing for slideless meetings, the issue being that clients expect to see some sort of presentation in return for paying $10millions for projects so we are going for the moderate middle ground. It had got a bit out of hand as some teams just got silly and trying to keep everyone within their allocated time was becoming a battle.

Powerpoint is a useful tool, but like alcohol should be used in moderation. 

I hear that. Too may presentations become a showcase for the capabilities of PP rather than the content.

A Fev Blog

#29 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

It's easy with practice.  When you have people reading what's on the screen they're not listening to you.  If you're trying to get content across on a screen then you're inviting them to ignore you completely while they process the content.  A presentation is probably the worst format possible to get long-term high-quality memory retention of your message but acts as a good starter before the later non-presentation information dissemination.

My second slide bullets are what I'd have as chapter or major section headings if writing a report.  If I'm doing a presentation on a major subject and have been asked to do a full service then I'll be submitting a later report using those headings as the major subjects.  My first minutes of the presentation are scene settings, "telling them what I'm going to tell them".  The bulk is the "telling them" bit.  The last 5 minutes of the presentation are the "telling them what I've told them" bit followed by Q&A.  Classic teacher training stuff...

I disagree
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#30 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

I hear that. Too may presentations become a showcase for the capabilities of PP rather than the content.

We are also moving away from the whole presenter stands at the front thing and trying to encourage a more informal discussion in a 'round table' sort of format (no references to King Arthur please). Problem is when you have a very talkative audience (...Americans) then trying to stay on schedule is a challenge, but this way you get to ensure everyone is awake and paying attention and people who might not normally speak up feel less conspicuous in this setting.

28m391z.jpg

#31 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

when at uni, we had a limit of 12 slides per presentation, which is enough to get points across. That included title page and reference page, so 10 for content

#32 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

We are also moving away from the whole presenter stands at the front thing and trying to encourage a more informal discussion in a 'round table' sort of format (no references to King Arthur please). Problem is when you have a very talkative audience (...Americans) then trying to stay on schedule is a challenge, but this way you get to ensure everyone is awake and paying attention and people who might not normally speak up feel less conspicuous in this setting.

I developed a technique for that as I have to deal with a lot of Americans and Canadians these days.  I have a crib card in front of me with one line main headings and all the sub-headings I want to cover to ensure I get through the content, I then have them marked from 1-5 with 1 being "must cover" and 5 being "silent audience, bonus content".  If I get of distractions or question breaks then I start skipping those marked 5 and 4, the more stops I get then I start skipping those marked 3.  I've never had to cut a 2 yet but it'll happen one day.

It's a bit of a learned experience working out whether interruptions from different audiences in different countries are positive or not, my experience is:

- if Germans interrupt you with questions then you've got them interested, if they don't then you've lost them.

- if Americans or Canadians interrupt you then it could mean anything, if they don't then they hate you.

- if South Africans interrupt you then you're messing things up and they're into critique mode, if they don't then you're doing well.

- if Australians interrupt you then you're either doing very well or very poorly, if they don't then it's either OK or deathly boring.

- if the Spanish interrupt you then it's the afternoon, if they don't it's the morning

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#33 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

It's a bit of a learned experience working out whether interruptions from different audiences in different countries are positive or not, my experience is:

- if Germans interrupt you with questions then you've got them interested, if they don't then you've lost them.

- if Americans or Canadians interrupt you then it could mean anything, if they don't then they hate you.

- if South Africans interrupt you then you're messing things up and they're into critique mode, if they don't then you're doing well.

- if Australians interrupt you then you're either doing very well or very poorly, if they don't then it's either OK or deathly boring.

- if the Spanish interrupt you then it's the afternoon, if they don't it's the morning

Oh yes, national stereotypes really do exist.

I had a meeting out in Madrid in October, we were presenting to Germans, Dutch, Spanish, Hungarians, Czechs and Greeks.

The Dutch were by far the most prone to interrupting with questions, the Czechs were most fun in the bar afterwards, the Spanish never came back after lunch and we later found out they went shopping (or perhaps for a sneaky siesta), I think the Germans mostly felt like they were above us all and apart from a few terse comments and questions mostly just glared at the presenter or kept disappearing outside for a fag.

We've got Russians, Ukrainians, Italians and probably some others for another training session in January. My only previous experience of Russians is they are almost as vocal as Americans only with a more sinister accent. The meeting is in Prague so at least the beer afterwards should be good.

28m391z.jpg

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,088 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

:) Yeah... I don't think they are expecting a ckn 3.5 hour marathon ;) but I don't want to stand there like a div either. Thanks for all the tips and help.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#35 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

:) Yeah... I don't think they are expecting a ckn 3.5 hour marathon ;)

That's the best time to catch them in my experience. It's always pure joy when they see the slide counter and there are over a hundred. This is when it is best to quickly sprint to the door so you can lock it and take the key.

#36 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

what the hell are you all on about?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#37 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

what the hell are you all on about?

Ah, the ghost of workplaces past. :rolleyes: 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#38 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

present actualy, and work as well, not occupation- ever marvelled at some of the city centre scaffold structures?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#39 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

It's always pure joy when they see the slide counter and there are over a hundred.

or for a bit of fun go with the 5 slides presentation, but add 120 blank slides on the end then look for the panic in their faces when you load your presentation up and they see the slide count at 125.

28m391z.jpg

#40 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

Don't forget the shiniest golden rule of all. Check the equipment works before the audience gets there and make sure even the person at the back with lousy eyesight can see the slides
I've been to so many presentations where you can see the bullet point (as they are read out lol) but the key graph or diagram is unreadable and the whole thing is a waste of time.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users