Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Power Point Presentations

Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

It's easy with practice.  When you have people reading what's on the screen they're not listening to you.  If you're trying to get content across on a screen then you're inviting them to ignore you completely while they process the content.  A presentation is probably the worst format possible to get long-term high-quality memory retention of your message but acts as a good starter before the later non-presentation information dissemination.

My second slide bullets are what I'd have as chapter or major section headings if writing a report.  If I'm doing a presentation on a major subject and have been asked to do a full service then I'll be submitting a later report using those headings as the major subjects.  My first minutes of the presentation are scene settings, "telling them what I'm going to tell them".  The bulk is the "telling them" bit.  The last 5 minutes of the presentation are the "telling them what I've told them" bit followed by Q&A.  Classic teacher training stuff...

For strategy talks, I entirely agree.  If you want people to understand a concept, it is best that you talk and they listen (not really taking many notes).

If you are presenting new data and findings, then you will need illustrations, pictures and graphs (not tables).

I fear you are rather more advanced than the OP and your advice is excellent for an experienced speaker.  For a less experienced speaker, slide are useful.  They should have few words, but functions in two ways: firstly illustrate the point to the audience, secondly remind the speaker what he is going to talk about.

A title and a picture are excellent for a less confident speaker.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#42 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

My new job involves giving PPP, they  are prepared for all the instructors by the company we work for then we have the computors and projector sent by courier to where we are delivering the presentation we setit up , deliver the presentation  and leave in a safe area for them to pick up at a later date.

I normally ask them to email the presentation so I can download it to my memorystick just in case

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#43 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

You can do no better than learn from this guy how to give presentations.

#44 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

I try and engage with my students, drifting away from the scripted presentation just enough to keep them awake & interested.

It was tricky though last Friday, as it was fri 13th(!), and there was a Psychiatrist in my class for BLS with AED at 2nd level

Edited by Bleep1673, 16 December 2013 - 12:54 AM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#45 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

That is just hilarious!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#46 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

It all depends on the audience. Just because I have no idea what he is talking about doesn't mean that it's not a brilliantly coherent talk if the audience are all engineering graduates.

#47 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

On the subject of iffy presentations... university was a gold-mine of useless presenters.

I remember one of the lecturers used to come into the lecture theatre, stand at the lectern with notes in front of her and read them without moving or looking up.  The only time her hands moved from the side of the lectern was to turn over a new page of her notes.  She used to read at break-neck speed and would eject anyone daring to using dictophones, she saw them as disrespectful to her.  Outside of the lecture hall, she was a very friendly and eloquent person but somehow she had it in her head that this was an effective teaching method for presenting complex information.  Thankfully we had another tutor in charge of our tutorial group who'd tell us what to read to cover the ground, it was an utter waste of time even bothering to attend the lectures.

Another would tell us what he believed the law should be interspersed with genuine laws occasionally.  It didn't help us that he couldn't differentiate between fact and his opinion, he set us study homework based on his opinions and how we'd change things but this wasn't the point of the bloody course!  I just couldn't understand this module at all and it ended up as the lowest score of my degree, the exam was all about the facts and study of EU law when our heads were full of his idiot opinions.

Yet another would veer off, Billy Connolly style, into wild, barely-linked anecdotes then find he ran out of time to cover the genuine stuff and ended every lecture with a huge reading list to catch up with what he didn't cover.

The worst of all was a weird module called "Contemporary Legal Thought" where the head lecturer and our tutorial group leader was a rabid feminist who had spent far too long living at the Greenham Common camp.  Over one half of the course was about feminist rights with far too much time spent covering Catherine McKinnon and Andrea Dworkin, if you haven't had the pleasure of reading any of their stuff then you're in a far better place for your ignorance, don't correct this lack of knowledge, I beg you.  This was a compulsory course and there were no real coursebooks available so I had to try to listen and comprehend abysmal presentations given twice a week by a frothy mouthed old woman ranting about men subjugating women everywhere.  Being the awkward sod that I am, I used to quote Maggie Thatcher to her in tutorial groups, I never let on once that I seriously disliked everything about Mad Maggie but it was fun asking about Maggie when she went on about women never getting into positions of power and seeing her go all red in the face trying to rebut it successfully.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

It all depends on the audience. Just because I have no idea what he is talking about doesn't mean that it's not a brilliantly coherent talk if the audience are all engineering graduates.

http://en.wikipedia....urboencabulator

#49 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

During my training we used to have a science lecture just after lunch on Mondays from a lady from Blackpool College, who used to walk in, say "Good Afternoon" and then spend the next hour writing facts on the white board with her back to us.

One afternoon the lecture was moved to a coffee room with comfortable chairs, and a warm radiator that I was next to, after a liquid lunch. She was droning on as usual, about the Periodic table and I fell asleep, she tuned the OHP off and I got a nudge from one of my fellow trainees, and she started asking me questions about the Periodic table and chemical symbols, and atomic weights etc, as I did 'O'-level Physics and Chemistry and got 'A' at both I was able to answer her questions, she said she thought I was asleep, and I replied that I had just closed my eyes to concentrate on what she was saying. As she went back to her droning the fellow trainee told me I was snoring!

Edited by Bleep1673, 17 December 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#50 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Ah that would be what that whooshing sound was.

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,146 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thanks again everyone. It was worth it ;)

#52 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks again everyone. It was worth it ;)

good news?

A Fev Blog

#53 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,146 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

good news?

Aye bud. See job thread :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users