Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Jack Whitelaw

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

Funniest person ever.

#2 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

Who's Jack Whitelaw? Is he funnier than Bill Hicks or Stewart Lee?

Posted Image

#3 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

Toothache is funnier than Stewart Lee
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

Toothache is funnier than Stewart Lee

Totally agree. Some people rave about him, but I've never got it.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

Comedy taste is pretty subjective, isn't it? I know people who think Michael McIntyre is the funniest human on the planet, yet I can sit through one of his shows and not manage even a single half-smile.

Posted Image

#6 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Comedy taste is pretty subjective, isn't it? I know people who think Michael McIntyre is the funniest human on the planet, yet I can sit through one of his shows and not manage even a single half-smile.

Agree and I would like to be to be able to con the public and make millions, I just don't know how they do it.

#7 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Arthur Askey got a CBE for 60 years in show business without making anyone laugh.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#8 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

Arthur Askey got a CBE for 60 years in show business without making anyone laugh.

Then Tarbuck took up the mantle.

As for comedy being subjective I don't get American sitcoms. My wife has every friends episode. I sat through most episodes with her and thought that it was a drama. The canned laughter is usually brought about by Matt Perry making some facial expression or by manipulating inntonations in his voice in a stupid manner to manufacture a pseudo punchline.

I get embarrassed about some of the comedy I like as a kid. I was 15 when 'The Young Ones' came out. I remember being in paroxysms of laughter. I've watched it back when I was in my 40s and thought WTF.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 15 December 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#9 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

Then Tarbuck took up the mantle.

As for comedy being subjective I don't get American sitcoms. My wife has every friends episode. I sat through most episodes with her and thought that it was a drama. The canned laughter is usually brought about by Matt Perry making some facial expression or by manipulating inntonations in his voice in a stupid manner to manufacture a pseudo punchline.

I get embarrassed about some of the comedy I like as a kid. I was 15 when 'The Young Ones' came out. I remember being in paroxysms of laughter. I've watched it back when I was in my 40s and thought WTF.

I find the Young Ones still witty and original.

#10 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,910 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Everyone is funnier than Stewart Lee.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,998 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

I agree that the Young Ones has dated a little but there are still some really funny bits in it. The spoof 'yoof TV' show Nosin' Around was spot on.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

I agree that the Young Ones has dated a little but there are still some really funny bits in it. The spoof 'yoof TV' show Nosin' Around was spot on.

I liked Elephant head.

#13 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

It is the only TV comedy that Nine Below Zero played on - therefore it is beyond reproach.

Jack Whitehall on the other hand is about a funny as herpes!

LUNEW.jpg

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,998 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Don't be having a go at big hearted Arthur. It's possibly a time thing, if you listen to some of the old shows on 4Extra like 'Take it From Here' most of the jokes are not funny to modern ears but were clearly hilarious to the listening crowds. And the 'wireless' did get some huge audiences back then.

'Ave you seen it Madam? 

#15 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Don't be having a go at big hearted Arthur. It's possibly a time thing, if you listen to some of the old shows on 4Extra like 'Take it From Here' most of the jokes are not funny to modern ears but were clearly hilarious to the listening crowds. And the 'wireless' did get some huge audiences back then.

'Ave you seen it Madam?

Where's me washboard?
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,998 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Where's me washboard?

How queer!

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

Stewart Lee is a comedian?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#18 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

Jack Whitelaw

Bill Hicks

Stewart Lee

Michael McIntyre

I do try and keep up with what's happening at home, but there's four names I've never even heard of.

I thought the Young Ones was ace, but Im not sure there'd be any point going back there and watching it again.

Friends, awful, just awful.

Arthur Askey before my time.

A Fev Blog

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,081 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

Am I on the wrong person, are we on about Jack Whitehall. He's as funny as a car crash.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#20 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,943 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

Am I on the wrong person, are we on about Jack Whitehall. He's as funny as a car crash.

Was going to ask the same - if it's Jack Whitehall he is absolute dog dirt in my opinion
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users