Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Jack Whitelaw

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Jack Whitelaw got where he is today by bloody hard work and a rich family whose dad is a theatre agent.

He is as funny as a 10th Scrum re-set and that the same for Russell Brand and Michael McIntyre

#22 Kiwi-Capper_merged

Kiwi-Capper_merged
  • Coach
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

There seems to be a extra-special kind of ire that people reserve for those that commit the unforgivable sin of not making them laugh. Whenever the subject of comedy or comediands pops up on the internet, be it forums or comments under news stories, the rage people often display is bizarre.

I'm not sure understand it.

#23 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Am I on the wrong person, are we on about Jack Whitehall. He's as funny as a car crash.

As funny as a rectal tear. Town Exile is as funny.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 15 December 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#24 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

As funny as a rectal tear. Town Exile is as funny.

Rectal tears can be quite amusing - depending on who it is happening to, of course. ;)

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#25 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

I would rather sit through an entire DVD box set of the "chicken in a basket" style sitcom The Upper Hand than watch Jack Whitelaw.

#26 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Who is this Jack Whitelaw of which you all speak? I've never heard of him. Jack Whitehall on the other hand... :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#27 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

Who is this Jack Whitelaw of which you all speak? I've never heard of him. Jack Whitehall on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Yes he's even worse.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#28 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

I personally find it completely nauseating that people who can't get the names of people they detest right.

And I'm going to go on the internet and let you all know!!!

Frankly, it's about as useful as moaning about X Factor. If you don't like it, don't watch it. And just because people like a particular kind of comedy, or music, doesn't make them somehow "wrong".

As my favourite Irish comedian Dora O'Bryan said "I don't understand why people can say that a particular series of sounds in their ear is worse than the same sounds in my ear"
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#29 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

I like Stewart Lee. :ph34r:

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#30 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

I personally find it completely nauseating that people who can't get the names of people they detest right.

Frankly, it's about as useful as moaning about X Factor. If you don't like it, don't watch it. And just because people like a particular kind of comedy, or music, doesn't make them somehow "wrong".

As my favourite Irish comedian Dora O'Bryan said "I don't understand why people can say that a particular series of sounds in their ear is worse than the same sounds in my ear"

Dora O'Bryan? Obviously as well known as Jack Whitelaw.

#31 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

There seems to be a extra-special kind of ire that people reserve for those that commit the unforgivable sin of not making them laugh. Whenever the subject of comedy or comediands pops up on the internet, be it forums or comments under news stories, the rage people often display is bizarre.

I'm not sure understand it.

The comments threads any time Miranda is mentioned are always ... erm ... tasty.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

The comments threads any time Miranda is mentioned are always ... erm ... tasty.

I would have avoided her but I make frequent train journeys and Miranda is one of the few programmes on the mini tellies that I haven't seen yet. I'm actually converted. It's not particularly sophisticated and won't win many awards but it is very funny.

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

But he gets his nose in good programs like Have I got News For You, If it was just his own show with nobody elsee you could ignore him.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Never heard of this Jack Whitehall so looked him on youtube. I'm struggling to see where the comedy is.

Stewart Lee, at least, would be the first to admit that only a small minority "get him".

#35 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

HIGNFY isn't anywhere near as good as it was, sadly. Only occasionally.

When all that Ian Hislop has left to lampoon is the fact that Borgen is a bit boring I think it's time for a change!

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Jack Whitelaw

Bill Hicks

Stewart Lee

Michael McIntyre

I do try and keep up with what's happening at home, but there's four names I've never even heard of.

Bill Hicks is the pick of those four, by a long distance. Shame he died so young. Plenty of his sets are on YouTube. It may be your thing, it may not be, but I found him very funny indeed.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#37 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Dora O'Bryan? Obviously as well known as Jack Whitelaw.

Irony doesn't work on the internet does it. I forgot that.

#38 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

Irony doesn't work on the internet does it. I forgot that.

It does if done well. ;)

#39 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

comedy is a dead format almost, jack whatever is name is is a prime example, people used to get along in comedy by being genuinely funny, now it seems going to drama school and having the right connections gives you the right to make people laugh, sorry but none of these rambling smarmy clever trousers types raises me a smile,

FUNNY                                                                  NOT FUNNY

father ted                                                                miranda

emo philps                                                              noel fielding

the league of gentlemen                                         john bishop

vic and bob                                                             regular smarmy scripted panel show guests

Steptoe and son                                                     my family

early doors                                                             eddie izzard

the office                                                                ricky gervais  after the office

George and mildred                                               russel brand

psychoville                                                             Michael mc intyre

90s harry enfield stuff                                            friends

harry hill tv series (not burp)                                  mr bean

Edited by bedlam breakout, 17 December 2013 - 07:34 PM.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#40 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,304 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

what's  wrong with your family? Have you fallen out?