Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Concussion and head injury deaths in union

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

Never heard of this, although seen and suffered head injuries naturally.

Everyone seems to have a good chuckle when players get up and get on with it. I personally might not do having read that. I'll certainly be sharing it with the coaches at Saddleworth.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#22 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,796 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

A bit of proof that union's approach to concussion at professional level is working, after all it was his own club's doctors that kept him out for 5 weeks.  A player wouldn't be rushed back from a seriously strained hamstring so why would they rush one back for concussion that hadn't proven clear.

I'd genuinely like to know what the RFL protocol on concussion is as I can't find it anywhere on the internet.  Any clubmen on here with anything they can share?  I'd assume they follow the same protocols as union but it's hard to find.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#23 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

I did raise the matter of head injuries in a letter to this parent paper following the Whitehead 'biting' incident, where he was suspended for five games. The biting incident followed Whitehead having been knocked unconscious just before the incident. Although Bradford presented a brain scan showing that Whitehead had suffered some brain changes due to the tackle, the disciplinary panel chose to ignore it. It is known with the fact that we have highly trained athletes that many collisions have the same intensity as a car crash. The first question raised following a road smash is, were you unconscious at the time? If you were you will have 24 hours supervision, this is due to many patients suffering brain damage. 

I am a clinical researcher, and many research papers have revealed brain damage in many physical sports. Certainly the Olympic authorities are well aware of this, although most severe cases have been in the winter games, and USA are among the leaders in this research. Some of my colleagues are working on collapsing scrums, which of course is union, and primarily was based on spinal injuries, but I now understand that head injuries will be covered.

I am pleased that at last a national newspaper is covering head injuries, because my observations on the subject is that players are placing their bodies in future danger, and team coaches are very reluctant to remove players from the game in tight fixtures.

#24 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Could you tell me the average data of concussions and deaths in RU and RL?

#25 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

I get reports on all clinical research, but over the last few years there has been an upsurge in related head injuries, nothing so far published relating to rugby. Most has been done by various olympic associations, with the USA leading the way with winter sports. This weeks accident on the ski slopes show why there is this concern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users