Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Anjem Choudray

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,623 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Whilst there is no point on putting him on, the BBC are in an awkward position.

There are many on here who seem to think science is politically biased and would think it ludicrous that only people who know what they are talking about get to argue about science. They should have handled the vaccine debate by saying it was a corrupt doctor will to see kids die to boost his profits, and papers willing to see kids die to sell more papers. Imagine the BBC then arguing they were not biased.

This is the flip side of that coin.

Well science could be politically biased but that is not the argument here. Its more about taste and discretion IMO.
Of course, a comparison could be made in global warming terms if perhaps there was a climate disaster ie hurricane or tsunami and they had someone on saying 'well it serves the idiots right for living there'.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#22 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Choudray trained as a lawyer? That's impressive because he is possibly the only person I have seen torn to pieces by GMTV 'shoes and handbags' presenter Kate Garraway. Seriously.

He's thick. Very thick. Not to mention a hypocritical retard. He is also of limited intelligence - hence his racist views. I aren't entirely sure why this qualifies him to be taken seriously but clearly the BBC do.

I wouldn't describe him as thick.

I would view him as an opportunist, a narcissist and a self-publicist who understands how to draw in inadequate young men to an ideology that provides them with a simplistic but toxic view of the world.

But the reason the BBC should ignore him isn't because of that, but because, as Mehdi Hasan says, he doesn't actually represent any genuine Muslim groups.

I would put him in the same boat as David Icke.

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,623 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

So what does it say about the BBC?

#24 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

They use him to present the opposite viewpoint.  Every subject is given false balance by giving 2 points of view, regardless of how stupid the argument is.  It's why they reel out Steve Green to voice the Christian viewpoint or Dellingpole on Climate.

That's a false analogy, although I don't know who Steve Green is, so I'm not sure how often he is reeled out.

Most issues have two or more competing perspectives, or they wouldn't be issues.

And I have no problem with Choudary's views and his ideology being subject to a stringent examination by the BBC, which in fact rarely seems to happen. He deserves ridicule but rarely seems to get it.

I just think it's wrong and deeply insensitive to have this attention-seeker on a mainstream programme commenting on the trial of Lee Rigby's killers.

Edited by Martyn Sadler, 21 December 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

There are many on here who seem to think science is politically biased and would think it ludicrous that only people who know what they are talking about get to argue about science.  They should have handled the vaccine debate by saying it was a corrupt doctor will to see kids die to boost his profits, and papers willing to see kids die to sell more papers.  Imagine the BBC then arguing they were not biased.

, the BBC are in an awkward position.

Not sure I agree with that. I think in News and Current Affairs they live in their own somewhat arrogant  bubble.   Their motto is "We are the BBC - we are never wrong"..anyone who has ever raised a formal complaint and anyone who has watched Newswatch  or Feedback will confirm that. They brook no criticism at all. ever.

#26 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

There are many on here who seem to think science is politically biased and would think it ludicrous that only people who know what they are talking about get to argue about science.  They should have handled the vaccine debate by saying it was a corrupt doctor will to see kids die to boost his profits, and papers willing to see kids die to sell more papers.  Imagine the BBC then arguing they were not biased.

I think you've gone off on a tangent here. And I don't follow your logic.

I would love to know the editorial process that took place on the Today programme whereby someone said, "I know, let's ask Anjem Choudary onto the programme tomorrow to ask him about the trial of Lee Rigby's killers." It's isn't a very awkward position for the programme's editor to say, "No, that's a terrible idea. Let's instead have someone from a recognised Muslim body."

#27 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

It's isn't a very awkward position for the programme's editor to say, "No, that's a terrible idea. Let's instead have someone from a recognised Muslim body."

Why a recognised Muslim body? This heinous and disgusting murder has nothing at all to do with Muslims or Islam.

Should the Pope or Archbishop of Canterbury be made to account for Branch Davidians or the Ku Klux Klan?

LUNEW.jpg

#28 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Why a recognised Muslim body? This heinous and disgusting murder has nothing at all to do with Muslims or Islam.

Which is why Choudary shouldn't be invited onto the BBC to claim that it has.

#29 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Should the Pope or Archbishop of Canterbury be made to account for Branch Davidians or the Ku Klux Klan?

If someone committed murder, and claimed they had done it for religious reasons, while kissing the Bible when they were convicted, I suspect that the Archbishop or someone like him may be asked for his views.

#30 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

If someone committed murder, and claimed they had done it for religious reasons, while kissing the Bible when they were convicted, I suspect that the Archbishop or someone like him may be asked for his views.

Really? I would have thought a psychiatrist more appropriate.

LUNEW.jpg

#31 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Which is why Choudary shouldn't be invited onto the BBC to claim that it has.

I think Choudary and his fascist ilk become more marginalised by their lies to be honest. They don't recruit through the Today programme or BBC News but by taking advantage of disaffected young people in schools, colleges and Universities.

LUNEW.jpg

#32 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Really? I would have thought a psychiatrist more appropriate.

So would I. But would the BBC share our view?

#33 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,623 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

I think Choudary and his fascist ilk become more marginalised by their lies to be honest. They don't recruit through the Today programme or BBC News but by taking advantage of disaffected young people in schools, colleges and Universities.

I agree with you there but having them on showss like Today gives them a veneer of credibility that further enhances their ability to recruit gullible idiots. And the BBC should not be helping them achieve this.

#34 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,117 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Well that didn't happen with the bible john murders
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#35 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

And what are the UAF and Hope Not Hate doing about it.

#36 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

I think you've gone off on a tangent here. And I don't follow your logic.

I would love to know the editorial process that took place on the Today programme whereby someone said, "I know, let's ask Anjem Choudary onto the programme tomorrow to ask him about the trial of Lee Rigby's killers." It's isn't a very awkward position for the programme's editor to say, "No, that's a terrible idea. Let's instead have someone from a recognised Muslim body."

Martyn, I was clear Iit was a bad idea IMO.

However, the objection of many is that they invite ignorant people on as experts in the name of balance.  This is true, but they would face heavy criticism from people if they did not.

On this, they were clearly wrong.  The suggestion that people generally would be OK with them only inviting reasonable people who knew what they were talking about is also misguided. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#37 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,623 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

But there is a big difference between a lone madman and people acting on behalf of others (or so they think)
It wouldn't make sense to ask the local bishop to comment on a serial killer like that. This is a case of people claiming they do something and blame others for it. (IE we are killing this guy because of British foreign policy)

#38 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

And what are the UAF and Hope Not Hate doing about it.

http://www.hopenotha...jiroun/summary/

LUNEW.jpg

#39 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Well thats good to see but just been on there facebook page and it's still more directed towards the EDL/BNP and even more so now with the UKIP then towards Anjem Choudary as they don't want to give him any more publicity ??? but at least HOH are making an attempt unlike the UAF who think racism is just from white Anglo-Saxon Football fan's and thugs.

#40 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

That's a rather eccentric posting.

I must admit I had never heard of 'Bible John', but the Internet is a very useful tool.

Apparently someone unknown killed three young women in Scotland in the late 1960s and was given the moniker because he was suspected of saying he read the Bible on Hogmanay, or something to that effect. The murderer was never caught, although one individual was and still is suspected of the crime.

Not strictly comparable, I would suggest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users