Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hunslet Hawks Christmas Lunch.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Just an update for you guys......

A great time was had by all attendees at Headingley yesterday, as more than 300+ enjoyed possibly the most successful Christmas lunch ever.

The long room was heaving, with not a seat to be had, as Harry Gration got proceedings underway.

Colin Smith of PIMS got a well deserved round of applause as new main club sponsor, and afterwards declared that he was absolutely "blown away" by the professionalism, and large attendance at his first Hawks event.

Long term supporters Jack Lunn Construction were in attendance, and are keen offer financial support to the club once again.

Another local company A & R Construction reserved over 50 seats for the event, which easily outsold even the Rhino's luncheon on the previous Thursday.

Early indications are that it was a massive financial success, with the top two raffle prizes going for a few thousand pounds apiece.

Whilst the board were aware that switching from Elland Road was going to be a gamble, they should be congratulated on making the correct decision for the benefit of the club.

At this point, we should acknowledge the terrific work put in by Geoff Gray and Peter todd, and a small group of volunteers, who helped to create a wonderful event that can only raise the profile of Hunslet Hawks across the city.

Long term, I'm sure that the club would like to host the event back at the South Leeds Stadium, but it would be churlish not to appreciate both the financial, and organisational assistance given to us by our partners across the river...

#2 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

more of the same your doing the club proud well done to everyone who put in the hard work you should be commended

chappy

#3 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

I appreciate the financial gain for the club but I would not spend any money up there

#4 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Let's hope that after spending nearly two grand on sponsoring three games that he doesn't have to, that Gary Hetherington doesn't have the same attitude when he brings his staff to the SLS.

Let's hope that Colin Smith (who was steered towards Hunslet by GH), and puts thousands into both Rhinos, and the Rugby Foundation, isn't as small minded as some Hunslet fans, and doesn't read the repetetive, negative comments posted on this site.

You have a one-off chance to rise from the ashes, don't ###### it up by living in the past.

The ONLY chance that this club has of survival, is to fully embrace ALL opportunities that arise, and not look a gift horse in the mouth.

In my short time at the club I have grown to love it deeply, and find it taking up more of my time that I envisaged.

Unfortunately, I'm worn down with fighting against a tide of negativity, so I'm out of here.

I genuinely hope things work out for you, and that you get what you deserve.......

Good luck for the coming season, my chrystal ball sees many trophies coming to South Leeds.

#5 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

I didn't realize it was his own personal money. I back every thing the club do but it's my choice where I spend my money

#6 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

I didn't realize it was his own personal money. I back every thing the club do but it's my choice where I spend my money

Hahaha welcome to my world geoff!!! Don't slag rhinos of on here now. It's the new southstand.com

Edited by maccca-6-, 14 December 2013 - 11:55 PM.

hunslet hawks champions 2010

#7 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

Let's hope that after spending nearly two grand on sponsoring three games that he doesn't have to, that Gary Hetherington doesn't have the same attitude when he brings his staff to the SLS.
Let's hope that Colin Smith (who was steered towards Hunslet by GH), and puts thousands into both Rhinos, and the Rugby Foundation, isn't as small minded as some Hunslet fans, and doesn't read the repetetive, negative comments posted on this site.
You have a one-off chance to rise from the ashes, don't ###### it up by living in the past.
The ONLY chance that this club has of survival, is to fully embrace ALL opportunities that arise, and not look a gift horse in the mouth.
In my short time at the club I have grown to love it deeply, and find it taking up more of my time that I envisaged.
Unfortunately, I'm worn down with fighting against a tide of negativity, so I'm out of here.
I genuinely hope things work out for you, and that you get what you deserve.......
Good luck for the coming season, my chrystal ball sees many trophies coming to South Leeds.

that didn't last long now Foxtrott Oscar as they say in London

#8 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

are you Johnny wainhouse? I really hope so

#9 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hahaha welcome to my world geoff!!! Don't slag rhinos of on here now. It's the new southstand.com

yes they all get deleted like the thread where we could discus it.I wonder why?

#10 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

in other words do as we are told or pay the consequences?

Edited by sgt pepper, 15 December 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#11 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Only kidding guys, just wanted to see who was coming out to play......

Apart from Suzzy (and Progman), not one positive comment. I rest my case........

#12 ligella nawson

ligella nawson
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Wonder how many celtic fans would turn up if they had a christmas party at ibrox hang your heads in shame

#13 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

Over 300 at the Christmas Lunch and by all accounts a great success, keep up the good work lads.

#14 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

ill second that moose

chappy

#15 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

I know a few lads who go every year and they said the meal was ###### compared to elland road and they won't be going next year if it's at whinos

#16 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

How can you not like soup and rack of lamb with roasted seasonal veg, or maybe they chose the "sour grapes"......?

It'll be sold out next year, and the year after, when hopefully the club can host it at the SLS.

Even then, there will still be some who complain about something........

#17 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

How can you not like soup and rack of lamb with roasted seasonal veg, or maybe they chose the "sour grapes"......?
It'll be sold out next year, and the year after, when hopefully the club can host it at the SLS.
Even then, there will still be some who complain about something........

each to their own I guess

#18 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

Couldn't agree more Sgt. ................No-one is happy about the situation the club has been in recently, but unpleasant decisions have to be made in order to survive.

when you are on your knees, you'll be amazed at what you will do in order to feed your family.

A man who is dying of thirst doesn't read the label on a bottle of water.

I'm sure that what you want, is pretty much what the board want, but by different means.

By the end of the coming season, the club will be much more independent, and in a position to stand on it's own feet.

At the moment, we have to accept a certain amount of charity in order to stay in existance.

Just have faith in the board, and judge them at the end of the season, believe me, they are doing the best they can..............................

#19 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

Couldn't agree more Sgt. ................No-one is happy about the situation the club has been in recently, but unpleasant decisions have to be made in order to survive.
when you are on your knees, you'll be amazed at what you will do in order to feed your family.
A man who is dying of thirst doesn't read the label on a bottle of water.
I'm sure that what you want, is pretty much what the board want, but by different means.
By the end of the coming season, the club will be much more independent, and in a position to stand on it's own feet.
At the moment, we have to accept a certain amount of charity in order to stay in existance.
Just have faith in the board, and judge them at the end of the season, believe me, they are doing the best they can..............................

sorry Meg I'll be giving this season a miss apart from the York and Gateshead games!

#20 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'll be there mystic hoping to do them all home and away finances permitting starting on New years day. Feeling rough and shivering at fev chearing on who
ever is in a Hunslet shirt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users