Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Can Salford be a force next year. could they win GF year aftet?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Roughyhead true

Roughyhead true
  • Facebook
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well that's it.

#2 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Maybe. Possibly.

Definitely a top 8 finish this coming season though, I'd say.

#3 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

They look very good 1-17 with a senior squad.
Senior players tend to cop the most injuries. Beyond number 17 they don't look very strong at all and this could be their undoing when injuries occur.

#4 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

No Salford wont be a force next season,they could just about grab 8th spot though

#5 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Like to think so but at whos cost? Hull KR or Hull FC? Both seem better teams next year. Dragons, Giants, Rhinos, Saints, Warriors, Wolves will be there I think, so its 2 from 8. Unless Salford can shake it up a bit, and one of the Hull teams realises their potential. And I don't think you can right off Widnes either, should be a good season. Of the last 4, three may sneak 8th with an outstanding season

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,169 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

No.

A top 8 finish next season will be a good achievement. They should push on and try to finish in the top 6 the following year.

A realistic goal would be an appearance (winning or losing) in the grand final in the next five years.

#7 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

It's all about building different teams for different stages of Salford's progression and potential rise in power, a team for breaking into the top8, a team for breaking into and staying in the top4 and then a team that regularly reaches and wins finals. Salford's current team definitely has the ability to break into the top8 but I'd be very suprised if they finished any higher than 6th or 7th.

#8 John Connor

John Connor
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'd certainly hope for top 8 but I can't see a much higher finish than that.
Not massively impressed with Sa'u in the World Cup. Some players could be a bit too close to the end of their careers, like Meli and Puletua. Others might struggle with injury; Morley, Rapira, McPherson. Tasi might not play long minutes. Mullaney is a complete unknown to me.

On a more positive note, it's looking increasingly likely that Harrison Hansen will come into the squad at No. 18.
I don't agree with those people that think the squad will be weak outside the to 17 (18?). I think that Adam and Jordan Walne will definitely play big parts in the forwards next season. Will Hope could also show up well. In the backs, Theo Fages, Niall Evalds and Jordan Davies all look like players with potential. Matty Ashurst, who has played nearly every game for the last two years, will be an experienced back up.

I think Gleeson could have a great season, despite his age and Chase and Smith should create plenty of chances. Overall, I'd expect mid-table.

As far as a Grand Final any time soon, I can't envision it. But Marwan loves proving people wrong.

Edited by John Connor, 15 December 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

when u look at warrington & huddersfield steady climb to the top spots in the league it started with final apperences (and winning) the challenge cup...

it seems to be the rite of passage before teams have what it takes to take out the league leaders shield,making a grand final....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#10 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 874 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

As others have said it depends upon injuries, If they avoid too many then they are capable on paper of top 6.  I just don't think any other team has particularly strengthened much if at all and with the first 17 Salford don't look on paper much weaker than many others.  Yep some players are at the later stage of their career which would be a concern. However looking at how JP performed at Leeds last year that may not be such an issue. The challenge may bring out the best in them and if they match his sort of performance levels of last year then it should push them well up.

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

They will be rubbish with Rangi Chase in their team.

Or is he only rubbish if he's playing for England?

#12 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

Roller coaster ride I think. Salford could cause some surprises as Noble has built teams from less previously.

I just hope for entertaining rugby

#13 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

No, they'll be better but not a force.

They've signed a number of headline grabbers but amongst them are a few older players who have missed a lot of games between them over the last two seasons.

Rangi Chase was poor at St George but found a place where he could rule the roost at Cas however even then he had his periods of poor form even becoming a liability at times. There's no guarantee that he'll reproduce his best on a consistent basis now he's at Salford.

Tim Smith is similar, not wanted in the NRL, suffering from depression and bipolar syndrome, moved to Wigan where it just went from ad to worse, back to Australa where no one wanted him then he found a place where he fitted in at Wakefield. He was happy, settled, had a good raport with the fans, his team mates and his coach he also enjoyed the City. As a result he played hs best rugby for years, who knows if e'll settle in Salford or not, another gamble.

If salfords dads army payers get lengthy injuries then Salford don't look to have much depth and will rely on some make do and mend sqad members which won't get it done.

#14 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

when u look at warrington & huddersfield steady climb to the top spots in the league it started with final apperences (and winning) the challenge cup...

it seems to be the rite of passage before teams have what it takes to take out the league leaders shield,making a grand final....

This for me,  It has to be a steady process of improvement. Top 8 would be good.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#15 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Not quite yet, I don't think.

If Koukash gets the salary cap lifted, though, I'll change my mind.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#16 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

they will have to keep there fingers crossed they don't get many injuries  and teams don't try play wide against them because they don't have much backup players and some of there forwards have a few fitness issues  but im sure noble will have some devious plan up his sleeve

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#17 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Has any side made a bottom to top leap, such as the one being suggested?

#18 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

did Catalans not do a big leap a couple of years back

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#19 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

which started by making the challenge cup final in 2007.... followed up with making the play offs on a regular basis since...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#20 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

No idea .. and that's the fun part .

at least 13 new signings & of the 29 squad named so far,  only 6 left were playing for the club before the 2013 season. Of them young Hooker Gareth Owen is the oldest surviving , having made his debut in August 2010. 

Brian Noble has already taken a fresh squad into a top 8 place with Crusaders in 2010. even so it's big ask for a team that's undertaken such a transformation .

Can'y see Morley putting in massive game time but his experience & leadership in & around the squad will be telling .

More important I think is the changes in the backroom staff , with top quality conditioners & physio's in place Salford will be undertaking their 1st fully professional pre-season .including a Pre-season trip to South Africa . presumably the same place England used  pre RLWC.

Most bookies have them 7th and they're generally on the ball. and if correct will be a great acheivement .

best chance of finals rugby is via a kind draw in the CC .

the Only Club I recall that made it from the basement to the premiers were the Penrith Panthers bottom to top in 2 yrs ( 14th in 2001, 12th in 2002, 1st in 2003 ).

Catalans Dragons 14th 2010 to 6th 2011 .

Edited by Middleman, 16 December 2013 - 11:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users