League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Can Salford be a force next year. could they win GF year aftet?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Looks like Wigan bought his replacement a while back in Tony Clubb.
A right side player 2nd row or centre.
Sorry to see H go but if the offer was that good I don't blame him.
He was excellent for Wigan and only came off when he'd nothing left to give.
Left it all on the field!

Could the offer really be that good though?

I am presuming the owner hasn't just decided to set his own salary cap, so how on Earth do they have loads of money left under the cap limit after signing all those players?

#42 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

Still have room under the cap for more players according to the Dr

#43 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Could the offer really be that good though?

I am presuming the owner hasn't just decided to set his own salary cap, so how on Earth do they have loads of money left under the cap limit after signing all those players?

How many players have we released since the end of last season? At one of the meetings representatives of the club have had with the fans since Marwan took over, it was stated that the salaries of the retained players came to around £400,000. That leaves an awful lot of slack under that salary cap.

#44 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

A steady improvement is more likely! They will need a year to gel and identify weak areas in the squad, unlike the big clubs they don't have the youth to plug the gaps with injuries. ....

If koukash keeps investing I would say 4 years for league leaders 8 for GF

With a lucky draw anywhere from 2-5 for CC

#45 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

I loved AT's contribution. Bateman and Pettybourne in, Hansen out. Looks good to me. If we end up 6th it'll be because the team decides to stay in Oz and we field the U20s.

#46 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

Wigan's experience with Noble was that:
- he loved his overseas players and would recruit as many of them as he could and play them ahead of any equivalent English talent;
- his style was pretty simple and basic;
- he could organise a group of players to win the games they ought to win but lose the ones they'd be expected to struggle in.
Which I think was the story at Crusaders, but might be wrong.
I can't comment on how much of that was true at Bradford, but he certainly put together/coached a wonderful team there.
His recruitment so far seems entirely what I would have expected. Top 8 but no trophies for the foreseeable.

He could also motivate Wigan to beat Leeds quite often (and then lose the next couple of games). His teams had 3 game plans - give it to Trent, give it to Hock, give it to Feka. Great guy, great advocate of the sport, sadly past his sell by as a top coach.

#47 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

The best thing about Salford is that they must have the biggest grouping of nutcases under one roof (p.c. term I believe is mavericks)

Chase and Hock are literally a law to themselves whilst Smith was very much used to been the main man at Wakey. Meli can be guaranteed to have a couple of brian explosions per season whilst Tommy Lee isn't shy of giving his own opinion. We also know how impressionable Gleeson is.

If all of these lads blew up in the same day then it would be literally hell for a Salford fan and comedy gold for the opposition.

The more I think about it the more I believe that Morely literally will be there as muscle to keep some of these guys in check. Poor old Adrian's going to be at his busiest in 2014.

Add in everyone's favourite Doctor and one thing is for certain, Salford will be must see TV this season.

#48 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

How many players have we released since the end of last season? At one of the meetings representatives of the club have had with the fans since Marwan took over, it was stated that the salaries of the retained players came to around £400,000. That leaves an awful lot of slack under that salary cap.

Maybe, but then Salford have bought an awful lot of players to take up that slack.

#49 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Maybe, but then Salford have bought an awful lot of players to take up that slack.

Fourteen (so far!). With £1.25 million of cap slack available, that works out at roughly £90,000 per player. I think that's higher than the average salary in Super League (I may well be wrong here, but isn't it around £75,000?). Clearly, some players will be on more than that (Chase and Hansen for sure, possibly Smith and Hock) but I'd guess the majority of the newbies will be below that.

#50 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

The best thing about Salford is that they must have the biggest grouping of nutcases under one roof (p.c. term I believe is mavericks)

Chase and Hock are literally a law to themselves whilst Smith was very much used to been the main man at Wakey. Meli can be guaranteed to have a couple of brian explosions per season whilst Tommy Lee isn't shy of giving his own opinion. We also know how impressionable Gleeson is.

If all of these lads blew up in the same day then it would be literally hell for a Salford fan and comedy gold for the opposition.

The more I think about it the more I believe that Morely literally will be there as muscle to keep some of these guys in check. Poor old Adrian's going to be at his busiest in 2014.

Add in everyone's favourite Doctor and one thing is for certain, Salford will be must see TV this season.

Unfortunately (for you, fortunately for me) Salford aren't on TV too much this coming season. You need to get yourself to Barton and experience the all new "What happened next?" live and in the flesh.

#51 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

With another high-tailing it out of DW Dodge, next year's Wigan squad is looking decidely threadbare on the star quality front.

If they make the top 6 Shaun Wane should be given a knighthood for services to Rugby League coaching.

I recall reading similar nonsense before the start of last season.

"You'll win nothing wi' kids" © A.Hansen, 1995

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#52 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

With another high-tailing it out of DW Dodge, next year's Wigan squad is looking decidely threadbare on the star quality front.

If they make the top 6 Shaun Wane should be given a knighthood for services to Rugby League coaching.

Write off Wigan at your peril.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#53 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

Off topic, and total pedantry, but Bradford last appeared in (and won) the Cup Final in 2003. Thought I'd point it out as it might be a while before the next one!

I beg your, and all Bradford fans, pardon. I did ask for any corrections, thanks AA

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#54 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

Fourteen (so far!). With £1.25 million of cap slack available, that works out at roughly £90,000 per player. I think that's higher than the average salary in Super League (I may well be wrong here, but isn't it around £75,000?). Clearly, some players will be on more than that (Chase and Hansen for sure, possibly Smith and Hock) but I'd guess the majority of the newbies will be below that.

Well Meli has let it be known he was offered £140K to go to salford and Puletua must have been offered a big incetive to stay given that he'd already announced he was retiring and going home to NZ. I doubt he would have a change of heart like this for a 'below average' offer.

#55 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Judging the Doc by the contracts given to Foran and Mauro las t season I would be surprised if any of the players are on a straight sum for the season. I would imagine they are all on bonus related contracts adn dependant on maintaining levels of fitness and playing in  a certain number of games.

According to many on here that will save Salford a fortune as they are either crocks or "mavericks" :sclerosis:

Hansen is an improvement on last season, he will play for a few seasons as he is only about 28ish.

This is about gradual building and development, I'm not yet convinced that Noble is the man for the future but maybe his backroom staff will be.

The doctor has rebuilt (or constructed) the whole club from the ground up, and he isn't done yet.

Being a Salford fan is always "interesting" and I hope next year will have more excitment and ups than the previous downs.

Lets face it, a year almost to the day Salford looked finished, now there is a thread arguing about how high we will finish

#56 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Do players still get a percentage of transfer fee's?.. or sign on fee's?.. Would such payments come under the salary cap?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#57 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Do players still get a percentage of transfer fee's?.. or sign on fee's?.. Would such payments come under the salary cap?

It is my understanding that any payment, regardless of type, is counted on the cap. 

#58 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

Must admit, I didn't think Wigan would win anything last season and thus take my hat off to Shaun Wane. I mean, both Leeds and Warrington had better teams on paper (and they are both well coached, too).

But with Tomkins, Hansen and (most importantly) Richards gone, they are going to struggle to get into the top 4. And with the notable exception of Ben Flower, that pack is going to have its work cut out to survive against some of the other sides. No offence to Wigan fans intended.

What are the odds on Salford finishing higher than Wigan, anyway? Might have a flutter.

#59 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Must admit, I didn't think Wigan would win anything last season and thus take my hat off to Shaun Wane. I mean, both Leeds and Warrington had better teams on paper (and they are both well coached, too).

But with Tomkins, Hansen and (most importantly) Richards gone, they are going to struggle to get into the top 4. And with the notable exception of Ben Flower, that pack is going to have its work cut out to survive against some of the other sides. No offence to Wigan fans intended.

What are the odds on Salford finishing higher than Wigan, anyway? Might have a flutter.

Wigan's losses the year before were potentially much more damaging than those 3, and yet they still managed to win the double. I fully expect them to be up there this year as well.

Unless, of course, this years competition is to be played on paper rather than grass, wherein Leeds and Wire will probably walk it.

#60 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

As good a player as Hansen is, I don't think his loss alone weakens the pack to an extent that it can't compete. Otherwise its the same pack as that which won the GF and Challenge Cup, not counting the additional experience of the young lads and whatever Bateman and Clubb may offer.

Tomkins is clearly the biggest loss, but I have hopes that Bowen and / or Hampshire can provide some value in that role. Richards is a loss for his goal kicking, but less so in other areas as he never got his pace back after the Achilles injury in 2010.

Overall I think Wigan will be fine. Difficult to repeat the heights of a double winning season, but likely to be there or thereabouts when the trophies are given out. Can't rule out Salford finishing higher, but will take a very big effort and reaching their full potential.

Edited by giwildgo, 18 December 2013 - 10:11 PM.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users