Photo
- - - - -

Can Salford be a force next year. could they win GF year aftet?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 littlebigfella

littlebigfella
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

Could the offer really be that good though?

I am presuming the owner hasn't just decided to set his own salary cap, so how on Earth do they have loads of money left under the cap limit after signing all those players?

well i know 100% that (edited by CKN:  the rest of this has been deleted)

Edited by ckn, 19 December 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#62 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,056 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Do you?  Really?  If so, please provide evidence to John Drake via the PM system of this board as LE would be delighted to have such concrete evidence for the next issue.  Until then, please don't post such potentially libellous things on this forum without providing hard and undisputable evidence.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#63 littlebigfella

littlebigfella
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Do you?  Really?  If so, please provide evidence to John Drake via the PM system of this board as LE would be delighted to have such concrete evidence for the next issue.  Until then, please don't post such potentially libellous things on this forum without providing hard and undisputable evidence.

haha joke this i should be able to say what i want and what has come straight from the horses mouth.... all i did was tell people how all theese big names have gone to salford and how they have got around the salary cap but if people dont want to know fine.

#64 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,056 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

haha joke this i should be able to say what i want and what has come straight from the horses mouth.... all i did was tell people how all theese big names have gone to salford and how they have got around the salary cap but if people dont want to know fine.

Erm... no.  There are these things called libel laws that mean that TRL acts as publisher for your stuff if we see it and do nothing about it.  If there's something that either the adminstrators or moderators see that is potentially libellous and you have given no evidence other than "because I say so" then it'll get deleted.  You might be not worried about a libel suit but a big libel court case could easily severely damage a publishing company such as TRL, we will not let you post potentially libellous stuff and put those jobs at risk.

As mentioned, if you have evidence of such acts then please clear it in advance with John Drake before posting.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#65 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

As good a player as Hansen is, I don't think his loss alone weakens the pack to an extent that it can't compete. Otherwise its the same pack as that which won the GF and Challenge Cup, not counting the additional experience of the young lads and whatever Bateman and Clubb may offer.

Tomkins is clearly the biggest loss, but I have hopes that Bowen and / or Hampshire can provide some value in that role. Richards is a loss for his goal kicking, but less so in other areas as he never got his pace back after the Achilles injury in 2010.

Overall I think Wigan will be fine. Difficult to repeat the heights of a double winning season, but likely to be there or thereabouts when the trophies are given out. Can't rule out Salford finishing higher, but will take a very big effort and reaching their full potential.

I would argue that Wigans biggest loss ( squad-wise ) from last season is Pat Richards.

Guaranteed kicker . try scorer & Metre Gainer , alot of pressure now heaped on Charnley . Having Richards in/out of  Wigans side had more influence on whether they won or lost than Tomkins . 

Tomkins looked impressive running rings 'round ' lesser teams , but in closer games ?

As regards the Pack , Wigan looks well provided with back -up 2nd rowers from their own Academy & welsh connection , + the signings or Bateman & Clubb .

They won't miss Hansen. I have to go back to Barry MacDermott as the last Forward they let go that bit them .  

#66 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

Could the offer really be that good though?

I am presuming the owner hasn't just decided to set his own salary cap, so how on Earth do they have loads of money left under the cap limit after signing all those players?

Two responses :-

A year ago Salford were dead & buried , the response from most other SL clubs was to get shopping - Wigan had already took Matty Smith , Hull & Leeds & Bradford swiftly following, relieving us of our key players.

On a fans level Salfords impending demise wasn't met with the same outcry & rallying that Bradfords trials initiated . we were pretty much staring down the barrel of a gun. We knew where we stood in the SL pecking order > Crusaders < Wakefield .

Then from leftfield  in walks Marwan, a more bizzare saviour we couldn't  imagine.  not a subtle character , but in 11 months has effected more change in the club than my memory of supporting the club for decades. not just Playing staff but at management & Backroom level. From a press perspective he has raised the profile of the club -single handed in Both UK & AUS. the signings aren't exactly Grand Final worrying material but capable of at least giving most teams a run for their money .

You'd expect this back-from the grave story to have illicited a more positive response , but we seem to have attracted more than our fair share of flak , why  ? beacuse we've signed some players & our owner is ' foreign ' and brash ??   I'm not sure if the reaction is actually not 'how did you' ( under the salary ) , but more of ' How Dare you ' . Honestly we're not ' cocky ' we're just relieved & hopeful , after decades of mediocraty at least allow us a season or two before the knives are sharpened ..

ie - cut us a bit of slack will you ..

"The Rugby League world is closely scrutinising everything that Marwan Koukash is doing here, it is exciting times and we are determined to be in the best possible shape for the kick off.”

Quote from New CEO Martin Vickers ,

Salford have already been hit with an unprecedented fine & points deduction for on field matters .

The RFL co-opted Niel Wood into the club to monitor day to day stuff.

because of Marwan's vocal opposition of the current salary cap arrangement & proposal of a marquee player rule . we will have to be more ' above board ' any most other clubs .

the  early ' ill judged ' Press from Marwan about the cap back in March April has backfired, he has since gone on record in subsequent months to state we  are abiding to the cap .

We only have a squad of 30 & if we were riding roughshod over the salary cap we wouldn't have loaded our team with ' experience ' & fringe NRL players ,

I suspect Hock - Chase -Smith & Hansen will be higher earners , the others will  be out to prove themselves or have been drawn in by the chance of one last hurrah .. all this megabucks ' I have on good authority ' stuff I take with a pinch of salt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users