Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SPOTY 2013 - Will RL get more than the 45 seconds it got last year?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

RL got somewhere between 41 and 45 seconds in last year's Sports Personality of the Year. I think it was 45-50 seconds the year before. Eddie Butler's reviews were good, if somewhat brief.

So...will we break the 60 second barrier this year?

Does it deserve such little coverage in a 160 minute long show?

Edited by tw15, 15 December 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Considering the BBC are a major partner of ours we should be getting far better coverage.

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

Steve Prescott deserves twice that on his own, let alone the sport.
Posted Image

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

I've given up on watching the dreadful program.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Perry M

Perry M
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

Like Padge, if i dont watch it I wont get wound up & shout at the TV!

#6 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

Im not holding out much hope TBH. BBC SPOTY is generally pretty awful, though i still crave the recognition we deserve, though are unlikely to it any time soon. BBC is still very much about looking after its darlings.

Once the RL section is over with i'll probably switch over to Homeland.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 15 December 2013 - 07:10 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Awful programme. Nonsense award that reeks of the 50s and 60s. Who gives a monkey's?

A Fev Blog

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Awards for sport are a ridiculous notion anyway. Trophies and medals are what counts. Not watched it for years.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

I know we will get about 10 seconds for the SLGF, about 30 seconds for the WC, all voiced over by that ridiculous joke of a commentator Ray 'er' French 'er'.

In the entire history of our sport on BBC we have only had 2 MAIN commentators, Eddie Waring & Ray French. Although Dave Woods seems to be taking some of the burden off the seemingly more and more demented Ray French.

Edited by Bleep1673, 15 December 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#10 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

I know we will get about 10 seconds for the SLGF, about 30 seconds for the WC, all voiced over by that ridiculous joke of a commentator Ray 'er' French 'er'.

In the entire history of our sport on BBC we have only had 2 MAIN commentators, Eddie Waring & Ray French. Although Dave Woods seems to be taking some of the burden off the seemingly more and more demented Ray French.

To be honest I think it would be apt for Ray French to do it given he's just retired. Undoubtedly Ray's commentary has declined as hes aged (I've criticised him myself), but a living legend of the game given his contribution on and off the field, deserves respect.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Dave Woods has been the main BBC commentator for a few years now.

#12 Gansons Optician

Gansons Optician
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

Really? I seem to remember putting it on for 20 minutes or so out of boredom last year and I saw more than 45 seconds during that time alone. Seem to remember all three major pieces of silverware taking centre stage too. I guess it is a bit like how seemingly on twitter someone hyperventilates with shock at least once a week when RL is featured on QOS or any other quiz programme. We really need to get over this inferiority complex. 

#13 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

RL got somewhere between 41 and 45 seconds in last year's Sports Personality of the Year. I think it was 45-50 seconds the year before. Eddie Butler's reviews were good, if somewhat brief.

So...will we break the 60 second barrier this year?

Does it deserve such little coverage in a 160 minute long show?

Yes.

#14 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

About 3 1/2 mins - can't complain about that...

...for a change

#15 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Wigan not even shortlisted for team of the year??? and Wigan only got a big mention on the programme because of athletic winning FA cup , typical BBC

Posted Image

#16 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

It was better than expected.. Programme is still pretty dull though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#17 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

My wife hadn't even heard of Lee Halfpenny.

People called Romans they go the house

#18 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

I expect Halfpenny is probably pretty embarrassed to be up there.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#19 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

Iv/e heard of tuppence ha'penny

#20 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

women eh?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.