Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SPOTY 2013 - Will RL get more than the 45 seconds it got last year?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Well isn't just a bunch of toffs mucking around on horses. It is very dangerous. 

It can be both, of course.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#42 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

It can be both, of course.

Like motor racing it eventing isn't just the bastion of the privileged. It takes money but if you are talented you can use other people's money. The British girl that won the dressage gold at the last Olympics was a former stable girl you had to shovel horse manure for a living before he got her break into the sport. 

Anyway cross country equestrianism is borderline lunacy. 

#43 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

After the debacle of no women on the shortlist in 2011, and the discovery that Nuts and Zoo editors were involved in drawing up the shortlist, the BBC changed the rules for how the candidates are selected. 

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...nality/24145324

An expert panel decide the shortlist for the Sports Personality of the Year award. The Sports Personality of the Year production team will provide the Panel with a list of the top 50 or more sportspeople from 2013, including information on their achievements. The Panel will be free to consider other potential candidates.

The Panel will comprise 12 members this year:

• Four representatives of the BBC: Barbara Slater (director of BBC Sport); Philip Bernie (head of TV sport); Carl Doran (executive editor of Sports Personality of the Year); Mark Pougatch (representing BBC Radio 5 live).

• Three representatives of the UK written press: sports editors from The Mail on Sunday, The Mirror and The Telegraph.

• Three former nominees: Baroness Tanni-Grey Thompson; Dame Kelly Holmes; Marcus Trescothick.

• Liz Nicholl OBE, chief executive of UK Sport.

• One individual, multi-sport, broadcaster/former Spoty presenter: Sue Barker MBE.

The Panel will select a short list of 10 sportspeople on the basis of the following criteria:

• Reflects UK sporting achievements on the national and/or international stage;

• Represents the breadth and depth of UK sports, and;

• Takes into account 'impact' over and beyond the sport or sporting achievement in question.

#44 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

For about 10 seconds, I really thought that Wigan were going to win the team of the year.  As the award was given straight after the Wigan item, and was to be presented by League fan Mark Webber and Marian Bartoli, I imagined Inverdale (a welcome absence from the proceedings) cursing and wailing.  Then the Lions won...

#45 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

For about 10 seconds, I really thought that Wigan were going to win the team of the year.  As the award was given straight after the Wigan item, and was to be presented by League fan Mark Webber and Marian Bartoli, I imagined Inverdale (a welcome absence from the proceedings) cursing and wailing.  Then the Lions won...

No, Inverdale knew that the union lions would win because he had secretly destroyed all of the Wigan voting papers.

#46 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

I can see what you mean here, it seems that a significant sporting achievement normally equates to multiple nominations across the board.  It's the way the cookie crumbles.  It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if England would have won the world cup.  Would they have won team of the year ahead of the Lions, and likewise, would McNamara have won coach of the year?  All ifs now though!!

I think actually that England would have won team of the year had they won the world cup, partly because achievements in international sport pip those in domestic sport and partly because it has been 40 plus years since a British team managed to win a world cup in our sport.  Both those elements would have given us a very good chance of being voted team of the year.  Although I'm happy to acknowledge that the BBC still has its bias in favour of all establishment sports, I don't think even they (or their appointed voting panel) would be so bias as to ignore what would have been an incredible achievement. 

However, point is moot because we couldn't do it - again.

#47 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Real opportunity missed - if only we'd beaten the kiwis....

#48 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

I think actually that England would have won team of the year had they won the world cup, partly because achievements in international sport pip those in domestic sport and partly because it has been 40 plus years since a British team managed to win a world cup in our sport.  Both those elements would have given us a very good chance of being voted team of the year.  Although I'm happy to acknowledge that the BBC still has its bias in favour of all establishment sports, I don't think even they (or their appointed voting panel) would be so bias as to ignore what would have been an incredible achievement. 

However, point is moot because we couldn't do it - again.

Would you say boxing is an establishment sport?

#49 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

Would you say boxing is an establishment sport?

Was the Marquis of Queensbury a pleb?
- Severus, July 2012

#50 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

Real opportunity missed - if only we'd beaten the kiwis....

...You'd have been embarrassed in the final?

#51 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

I think whoever came through that battle of a semi final was not going to have enough to stand up to such a focused Aussie team.  No shame in that at all.

- Severus, July 2012

#52 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if England would have won the world cup. Would they have won team of the year ahead of the Lions, and likewise, would McNamara have won coach of the year? All ifs now though!!

I should live so long MIW ;-)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#53 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Not watched this tripe for years. The BBC's attempts at aping Sky and showing clips from sports in a different way look very gimmicky and fall completely flat. I don't know if this has been said before, but a fishing friend of mine told me that, not long after the BBC changed to voting for the main award, the Angling Times produced a voting slip in their publication, urging their readers to vote for Bob Nudd, at the time fishing's world champion. The response was overwhelming, with hundreds of thousands making Nudd a clear winner, getting more votes than all the other contenders put together. Typical BBC, they just ignored the voting and made their own minds up, presumably because fishing is a mainly working class, non establishment sport. So, I don't think I'll ever again tune into this meaningless rubbish.

Edited by RunItOffAfi, 18 December 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#54 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

How can beating the Wannabees be an achievement of any note? They get the last pick of any good sportsmen in Oz. England's cricketers winning the Ashes achieved far more.

#55 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

Typical BBC, they just ignored the voting and made their own minds up, presumably because fishing is a mainly working class, non establishment sport.

Or maybe because fishing is not a sport
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#56 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

Was the Marquis of Queensbury a pleb?

Exactly.  And prior to those revival days, a version of the sport was played for the pleasure of Roman and Greek nobility, so it's hardly got working class roots.

#57 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Personally, I don't think we would have. 

#58 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

How can beating the Wannabees be an achievement of any note? They get the last pick of any good sportsmen in Oz. England's cricketers winning the Ashes achieved far more.

The Wannabees are not even the best or even second best in the SH let alone the world. The BBC will always look after its friends. I dont know why its called Sports Personality as its got nothing to do with a persons personality and the winner this year doesnt have one! The BBC sports department is a joke and a waste of time. Its only interested in a handful of sports and the rest are given minimum coverage and at best iignored

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users