Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newspaper Headlines thread

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Ok here we go...
Mea Culpa I take the Daily a Mail everyday. ( just for the crossword you know)
When I pick up my paper I often take a look at the headline in the Express, it's usually doom and gloom about the weather.
Today's Mail says
"Why ARE we giving China £27M in Aid?
That seems to me to be a good question.

Does anyone know what's on the front page of the Express?

Edited by bearman, 16 December 2013 - 10:46 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

Does anyone know what's on the front page of the Express?

I don't know... but I can guess.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

I check this out each day: http://www.thepaperb...front-pages.cfm

Today in the Express it's the turn of arthritis and another miracle pill. :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

I check this out each day: http://www.thepaperb...front-pages.cfm

Today in the Express it's the turn of arthritis and another miracle pill. :rolleyes:

Arthritis is featured on the Express's front page on a regular basis. I think this must now be the 15th wonder pill. Check another thread which shows the Daily Expresses's front page for the last 12 months: the weather, other medical issues, Maddie, house prices, migrants and pensions are the main ones. Truly an excuse of a newspaper.

#5 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

Arthritis is featured on the Express's front page on a regular basis. I think this must now be the 15th wonder pill. Check another thread which shows the Daily Expresses's front page for the last 12 months: the weather, other medical issues, Maddie, house prices, migrants and pensions are the main ones. Truly an excuse of a newspaper.

That's about it, just repeat on an endless loop. Don't know how they get away with it; aren't they obliged to have at least a modicum of truth in their stories? The weather stories are clearly made up as they normally completely contradict the met office forecasts. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

That's about it, just repeat on an endless loop. Don't know how they get away with it; aren't they obliged to have at least a modicum of truth in their stories? The weather stories are clearly made up as they normally completely contradict the met office forecasts. 

They're normally quite canny in these things.  The miracle cure pills nearly always say "could" in para 1 and then by the end you realise they're talking about a small test in mice that has yet to be replicated.  For the weather ones they love having Scotland as part of the UK.  "Britain braced for -20 freeze" usually ends up being somewhere up a big hill near Aviemore, predicted gales are invariably coastal gusts off Fair Isle etc etc ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

They're normally quite canny in these things.  The miracle cure pills nearly always say "could" in para 1 and then by the end you realise they're talking about a small test in mice that has yet to be replicated.  For the weather ones they love having Scotland as part of the UK.  "Britain braced for -20 freeze" usually ends up being somewhere up a big hill near Aviemore, predicted gales are invariably coastal gusts off Fair Isle etc etc ...

They also conveniently ignore that the mice have had their arthritis chemically induced and the trials "accidentally" stop giving the mice the bad drugs just in time to report a positive outcome of the trial.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#8 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

They also conveniently ignore that the mice have had their arthritis chemically induced and the trials "accidentally" stop giving the mice the bad drugs just in time to report a positive outcome of the trial.

They really need to be basing these stories on clinical trials with real patient data and not pre-clinical publications with data from animal studies. It's going to be a good 10 years from lab to approval at the minimum if the drug ever makes it to market.

28m391z.jpg

#9 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

From 1st May to mid December, the weather went on the Express's front page 39 times while arthritis appeared 12 times. Overall, health issues accounted for 55 of its front page headlines. 

#10 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

From 1st May to mid December, the weather went on the Express's front page 39 times while arthritis appeared 12 times. Overall, health issues accounted for 55 of its front page headlines. 

Quiet day?

#11 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Nope not true. You could not be more wrong!!

Actually you are spot on ;-) but how on earth could you forget the princess Diana stories.
If you said the headlines rotated around her, the weather and miracle cures that would be near enough the truth.

How they can add the word "news" to their description as a paper I do not know.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#12 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Nope not true. You could not be more wrong!!

Actually you are spot on ;-) but how on earth could you forget the princess Diana stories.
If you said the headlines rotated around her, the weather and miracle cures that would be near enough the truth.

How they can add the word "news" to their description as a paper I do not know.

Fourteen times about Diana out of 42 front page headlines. We could have a weekly forum competition guessing the headlines for the forthcoming week.  :tongue:

#13 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

I don't know, as much as I despise the Mail (and to a lesser extent The Express), their idiotic headlines pale into comparison with the Daily Star's lead story last Thursday about John Terry shopping for Christmas presents in Poundland.

Posted Image

#14 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

I don't know, as much as I despise the Mail (and to a lesser extent The Express), their idiotic headlines pale into comparison with the Daily Star's lead story last Thursday about John Terry shopping for Christmas presents in Poundland.

For the people who buy* this rag, this is important news, as now they know where their hero shops they can follow suit

*I hesitate to use the word read, for obvious reasons

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

Just shows you that 4.371 million readers CAN be wrong, eh?

#16 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

For the people who buy* this rag, this is important news, as now they know where their hero shops they can follow suit

*I hesitate to use the word read, for obvious reasons

Does this now mean that Poundland is now going to be infested with Chelsea fans?

28m391z.jpg

#17 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Does this now mean that Poundland is now going to be infested with Chelsea fans?

It already is

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#18 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

It already is

Having spent so much on a season ticket and replica kit I guess there isn't a lot left in the budget for essentials.

28m391z.jpg

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

How the media will report the Apocalypse:tongue:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Wot? No "Hello" magazine?  :biggrin: