Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newspaper Headlines thread

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Ah! Another supporter of press freedom! You don't have to read it. You don't have to buy it. You can leave that to the 550,000 who do buy it each day.

Ah! Another selective supporter of people's freedom to comment! You don't have to read them. You don't have to respond to it. You can leave that to the many who agree, or disagree, and actually engage in debate.

Merry Christmas John!

LUNEW.jpg

#42 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Ah! Another supporter of press freedom! You don't have to read it. You don't have to  buy it. You can leave that to the 550,000  who do buy it each day.

They can print whatever they like. However, I wasn't aware that we are all compelled to keep our opinions of their output to ourselves.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#43 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Ah! Another supporter of press freedom! You don't have to read it. You don't have to  buy it. You can leave that to the 550,000  who do buy it each day.

It would be interesting to know why anyone does still buy it. Force of habit? Misplaced loyalty?

It's the paper I grew up reading (when it was still a broadsheet) as my dad used to get it delivered every day, but he gave up on it years before the precipitous decline into the parody it has become nowadays.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#44 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

I believe in free speech.

It's why I have no problem mocking the Express.

Me too, which is why I have no problem mocking the Guardian, the Independent,  the Mirror, the New Statesman, the Press Gazette and the BBC News and Current Affairs unit and other left of centre organs.

I too wonder why anyone would buy the Express (or Sun..or Mail for that matter) though I suspect its the same reason why most people any paper...perhaps to seek confirmation of their own views and standards. (plus of course racing  and football pages. It goes without saying though that forum members like you and I and John are open minded and read the whole spectrum of newspapers  before forming their opinions. 

Mind you, I know why we all buy League Express.

#45 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

They can print whatever they like. However, I wasn't aware that we are all compelled to keep our opinions of their output to ourselves.

I wasn't aware that we are all compelled to keep our opinions of their output to ourselves.

Me neither. It news to me, too. Where does it say that?  Is it in the Ts and Cs? I think we should be told.

#46 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

I wasn't aware that we are all compelled to keep our opinions of their output to ourselves.

Me neither. It news to me, too. Where does it say that?  Is it in the Ts and Cs? I think we should be told.

The cheek of it.   :banghead:

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#47 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

:jester:

#48 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

It amuses me that on this forum were the same rugby league topics, P&R, SL or Not SL etc. etc. get recycled over and over again, and where if the topic doesn't start on one of the usual subjects it degenerates into it, that some people moan about the express continually recycling its front page topics,

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#49 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

It amuses me that on this forum were the same rugby league topics, P&R, SL or Not SL etc. etc. get recycled over and over again, and where if the topic doesn't start on one of the usual subjects it degenerates into it, that some people moan about the express continually recycling its front page topics,

The post of the week!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#50 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Personally, I gave up a long time ago replying to looping threads on the rugby league forum. As for the Daily Express, I was a loyal reader for many, many years before calling it a day, so I suppose I have earned my stripes to be critical.  ;) As for my emails to the Daily Express enquiring to the reasons behind the looping headlines, I never did receive a reply. Finally, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! :tongue: Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year to one and all. Over and out on this topic. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users