Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

DR ende with Vikings

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

http://www.townrlfc....le.php?id=12574

Well that's one door shut on us.   Is there another one due to open?    It's to be hoped so or we are going to struggle for numbers again.

Heading should read "ends"

Edited by Keith T, 16 December 2013 - 11:39 AM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

NWales is a lot nearer . It didn't look solid from the whispers you were hearing.

Edited by DavidM, 16 December 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#3 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

Maybe not a bad thing, as charlo says he would prefer season long loans instead of waiting until friday to see who we can pick up. I see this as a positive

Edited by wonky, 16 December 2013 - 12:01 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#4 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Warrington maybe?

#5 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

Warrington maybe?

I think salford is more likely. But it does say that two clubs have approached town.

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

Salford would be good . We seem to have good relations with Noble , but again the Swinton thing is the unknown . Will be interesting to see what develops. . The statement about long term loans though is common sense whichever way we go . I guess the thing this shows is to have as strong and deep as squad of your own as possible .

#7 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

In full page article about Wigan it states that they have four friendly matches before they go to Australia and the last one named is - Workington????

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#8 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

In full page article about Wigan it states that they have four friendly matches before they go to Australia and the last one named is - Workington????

Maybe all the lads enjoyed there night out up here with mossop last week and would like to make it more of a regular thing.

Edited by wonky, 16 December 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#9 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

It sounds like the Vikings pulled the plug then. Shame really but maybe Betts wasn't getting enough say so if that's the case it's for the best.
Once one door closes though so hopefully it will be for a better deal.
Wigan have always kept their hand in up here, for years old Doc was their eyes for the amateur scene so it wouldn't surprise me if they like the way we are developing amateur talent and want in on it.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#10 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Rob Purdham is Wigans new Cumbrian scout.

#11 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

Betts had commented on a couple of occasions that he wished more could get game time up here ??

#12 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

They probably would've if they'd been good enough

#13 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

I don't think there's anything sinister in it . They've close links with Crusaders and it's right on their door step . Geography is a big part both ways . I think Crusaders train there anyway ?

Edited by DavidM, 16 December 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#14 Ratboy

Ratboy
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

Goodluck next year and I was talking to Declan Hulmes dad and he is happy for a shorter trip to games.I think it is to do with distance than talent as one has posted.People thought Leuluai was better than Kavanagh, but that is not true with most Widnes fans.Anyway I will look out for your results and all the best Worky.

#15 Ratboy

Ratboy
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

Dave your correct the Crusaders train at our stadium.

#16 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

Leuluai was better for us, but we saw the real kavanagh during the world cup and he was excellent, really ran it in hard. I think on the whole the link up with Widnes went well, good luck for the new season ratboy.

#17 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

Went very well. Two Widnes players were amongst out top try scorers but they are one of the weaker SL sides so I'd expect more strength in depth and therefore better players from a new link up should it happen

#18 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

The preferred idea of season long loans or similar with a SL team seems to me to make a lot of sense. Would address concerns some have been having about our limited squad and you wouldn't have so many problems with players unhappy about being in and out when it suits the SL club. I like the sound of it. Hope it comes off.

#19 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

Declan Hulme said he would move here for a years loan too, we seen glimpses of brilliance at times so wish him well,

#20 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

With Crusaders using the Widnes facilities for training plus their physio, medical, conditioning staff, etc, is this how they can afford some of the signings they have already made this close season?    This is where the system is grossly unfair to Town (and Haven) and creates an uneven playing field.

Edited by Keith T, 17 December 2013 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users