Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tonight's Meeting

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'll try and briefly sum up but apologies if I need correcting as my memory is hopeless and I didn't write anything down.
Basically as I see it, we owe the tax man 17k ish and owe others in the region of 100k. We have no actual players signed on although contracts have been offered with a Jan 14 start date. Warrington are still interested in the same arrangements as last season. LSV is too expensive (and we still owe them money) There will be NO assistance from the RFL. Moor Lane is a no go (Salford FC don't want us) and Sale have stitched Barton up so nobody else can play there. Negotiations have been made with regard to a return to Sedgley.
HOWEVER
Marwan Koukash has a strong will to take over The Lions and has made an offer which is based on 1rather large condition. .....he gets to build a new stadium for us on Ambrose Barlow fields which must include retail/leisure/restaurant outlets. No stadium = no deal! The success or failure rests with the council!
HOWEVER
The Trust is working along the lines of the possibility that they may need to prepare a case for a supporter run club. Fund raising is desperately needed for us to do this (I say 'us' as I joined this evening) and not to just turn it over to the Kidds.

Further meetings to take place with various parties over the next week or so. Sorry if I've missed or misconstrued anything!

Edited by LOYALION, 16 December 2013 - 10:06 PM.

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#2 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

So what are the Kidds doing now? Have they walked away or are they still involved? What about the other directors?
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#3 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

John Kidd has basically stepped back and left Paul to deal with it all. No mention of the other board members at all. The top table did say that another party was interested but in Paul Kidd's view it would have meant that we would have had to move out of the area!

Edited by LOYALION, 16 December 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#4 Peewagg

Peewagg
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

http://www.swintonli...der mandate.pdf

#5 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:18 AM

It doesn't actually state it on the Trust standing order mandate but, just to confirm, membership is available at £2 per month but obviously the more you're able to contribute the more you can assist in the fight to save the Lions.

Edited by Paul Davidson, 17 December 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#6 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the update.
Posted Image

#7 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

John Kidd has basically stepped back and left Paul to deal with it all. No mention of the other board members at all. The top table did say that another party was interested but in Paul Kidd's view it would have meant that we would have had to move out of the area!

Given that the Manchester Rangers people have denied having any negotiations with Swinton Lions, the other obvious one would be someone associated with Darwen FC as nearly happened around 5 years ago.

Its Dr Koukash or the Trust in the driving seat for 2014.

I would love to say that the St Ambrose Barlow site should be developed on a community-led basis, but the practical problem with that is you need a committed and above all else proactive Local Authority to make that approach feasible. 

Edited by PhillH, 17 December 2013 - 08:45 AM.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#8 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the summary of the meeting...........no surprise that the RFL will not help............did anyone ask how long the RFL have given the club to sort out the situation before suspending fixtures etc

#9 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

I think the most disappointing thing is the attitude of Salford City Council, and the impression that anything rugby league is tarred with the brush of Salford City Reds. There is a huge amount of bridge building to be done to give the council confidence in this sport again, even if much of their reluctance is derived from their own mismanagement.

Perhaps one way forward with the council would be to pursue any grants or project-based funding that they have available, rather than direct investment. At least that way the investment is accountable and target driven. Given that the Trust has successful experience of managing significant grants - such as the recent Lions' Tales heritage project - is a not-for-profit organisation, and has up-to-date accounts it is well placed to do this. Perhaps it could get the ball rolling and start to build the "war chest" that is going to be needed one way or the other.

It was good to see a lot of familiar faces last night, and it was good that there seemed to be a "blitz spirit" about it all.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#10 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

The most disappointing for me is the lack of information from the club still. We have all lived in an era of secrecy and mystery when it's come to the Kidds and even though it seems we are in dire straights and the fans could ultimately be the saviours of the club we are still only being fed what snippets they will release!

I think the council have made it clear that there will not be a penny spent on us!

#11 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

Well LOYALION it just proves you can't please all of the people all of the time.

At the meeting on Monday the trust gave a complete and frank assessment of the situation known to the best of their knowledge. Yes there was some sensitive information that couldn't be mentioned since it related to parties who at this moment in time are not connected to the club. I am sorry if this gave you the impression you was being fed snippets.

I have to clear a possible confusion up regarding the council.......at our meeting with them it was stated that cash wouldn't be given to any sporting body at this current moment in time but they did state that they could help in other ways, so please don't completely think the council are the bad boys in this.

#12 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:06 AM

Honestly and truthfully I can't see Ambrose Barlow as a good site
Id hate a stadium in my back yard.
Someone suggested Moorside school too which I find even more unrealistic
I find it hard to believe that Agecroft is out due to its size and Ambrose is bigger?

I couldn't go on Monday. I appreciate all the effort that people put in. It really shows what is possible when backs are against the wall
Im sure I'm not alone in hoping for something concrete in the very near future.

#13 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

Well LOYALION it just proves you can't please all of the people all of the time.
At the meeting on Monday the trust gave a complete and frank assessment of the situation known to the best of their knowledge. Yes there was some sensitive information that couldn't be mentioned since it related to parties who at this moment in time are not connected to the club. I am sorry if this gave you the impression you was being fed snippets.

I have to clear a possible confusion up regarding the council.......at our meeting with them it was stated that cash wouldn't be given to any sporting body at this current moment in time but they did state that they could help in other ways, so please don't completely think the council are the bad boys in this.

No no no Marshy I didn't mean the trust I meant the current club board who
1, Did not attend in any guise (ok Paul sent his apologies but he's not the only club official) and
2, There were questions asked to you on Monday which you couldn't answer because you hadn't been given the info by the Kidds.

No criticism of the 3 chaps on the top table whatsoever!

#14 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

I find it hard to believe that Agecroft is out due to its size and Ambrose is bigger?

I couldn't go on Monday. I appreciate all the effort that people put in. It really shows what is possible when backs are against the wall

I think the site has been chosen by Mr K Mark. It's the location he wants or there's no deal and he walks away. The location is key!

#15 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

Plenty of room Mark the site doesn't just involve the actual playing fields .

#16 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

I'll put my trust in your word Alan

#17 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

The most disappointing for me is the lack of information from the club still. We have all lived in an era of secrecy and mystery when it's come to the Kidds and even though it seems we are in dire straights and the fans could ultimately be the saviours of the club we are still only being fed what snippets they will release!

I think the council have made it clear that there will not be a penny spent on us!

One of those moments in life wherein the silence speaks volumes.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#18 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Your way forward is Sedgeley Park and supporters run club, surely the kidds have full responsibility for running up the debt and not the fans, ditch them for their disingenuous mess and try to negotiate a debt free restart even if it means a drop down with us as a consequence, I truly hope the Lions survive and love going to the park!

#19 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

There is no long term future for the club without a home venue in Swinton.As someone correctly pointed out at the meeting ,how many of those present will be alive in 20 or 30 years time? there are very few if any new fans joining the fold.Sedgley Park would be a great venue in the short term but if you check attendances in our last season at SP they were down to around 350.

#20 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

. the location of the site couldn't be better,right in the town centre but I agree it will meet with opposition from local residents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users