Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What's the best Scrooge / Christmas Carol film?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

What is the best film version of 'A Christmas Carol'?  For me, after the Alistair Simm definitive version, I like George. C. Scott.

#2 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

Bill Murray in Scrooged

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,732 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

Bill Murray in Scrooged

This one definitely for the comedy effect, the Patrick Stewart one for general filmography and the Muppets one for adherence to the original book's spirit and cadence!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

The one where Sylvester Stallone as Rambo walks into the last scene and butchers every last living soul for being too maudlin* about it.

Oh, sorry, is that next years release, "Rambo VIII, Killing Christmas on a zimmer frame"?

Die Hard at Christmas, because there's no CPR available for choking on Turkey Bones?

Pepper Pig and the Xmas Hog Roast (Hog roast supplied by Miss Piggy)

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I always enjoy watching Blackadder's Christmas Carol every year.

#6 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

What is the best film version of 'A Christmas Carol'?  For me, after the  definitive version, I like George. C. Scott.

No argument from me on this one.  Alistair Simm does it the best.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#7 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

On Sunday I tuned into a version of A Christmas Carol which starred Ross Kemp as Ebenezer Scrooge. The three minutes I saw were absolutely dreadful.

Posted Image

#8 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,732 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

On Sunday I tuned into a version of A Christmas Carol which starred Ross Kemp as Ebenezer Scrooge. The three minutes I saw were absolutely dreadful.

I watched that a few years ago when it first came out, is that the one where he's a loan shark in modern times?  If so, it wasn't that bad when it got into it, some of the acting was a bit wooden but at least they followed the spirit of the original.  The worst one I've ever seen was one last year about an American businesswoman playing the Scrooge, I think it ticked every diversity box possible and went out of its way to be as harmless as possible while being unentertaining.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#9 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

Whhhhhhooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa stop reet there!! Alastair Sims??? Nah. Errr Muppets Christmas Carol thank you. Thread over. Lock now CKN.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#10 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

I must qualify that the Alistair Simm film must be the black and white version, and not the colourised one.  It looks as though it's been attacked by someone wielding crayons.

I quite like the Patrick Stewart copy until near the end, where he has to act as though he's forgotten how to laugh. The ghost of Jacob Marley and the three spirits visiting Scrooge I can believe, but forgetting how to laugh just doesn't seem credible!

#11 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

I like the Albert Finney's Scrooge. I actually like that it's a musical.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

I like the Albert Finney's Scrooge. I actually like that it's a musical.

And if I had a flag, I'd hang my flag out, to add a sort of celebration touch
But since I've left my flag at home I'll simply have to say

Thank you very very very much

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 Rodill Rover

Rodill Rover
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

The Alistair Simm version is by far the best.

The worst by a very long mile is the Kelsey Grammer version. Utter drivel.

#14 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

And if I had a flag, I'd hang my flag out, to add a sort of celebration touch
But since I've left my flag at home I'll simply have to say

Thank you very very very much

Cheers, now it's stuck in my head. Thank you very very very much. ;-)

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Cheers, now it's stuck in my head. Thank you very very very much. ;-)

Click, if you dare: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Dkq7WZTzkLQ

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#16 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Whhhhhhooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa stop reet there!! Alastair Sims??? Nah. Errr Muppets Christmas Carol thank you. Thread over. Lock now CKN.

Absolutely.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#17 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

Not Scrooge but in my mind better then "it's a Wonderful Life" was this movie that is overlooked and remember seeing it on TV around Xmas.

#18 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,732 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

I downloaded the free classics version of A Christmas Carol for my Kindle a few years ago and I usually pull it out to read about this time of year to get me in the Christmas mood.  For some reason it's a book that never gets stale to re-read.

#19 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

There's a book as well??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users