Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The RFL and Super League should bring Club Memberships to England

season tickets memberships super league competition attendances $$$$$

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,829 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Most clubs now offer all kind of enhancements to buying a season ticket. Fev have Gold, Silver and Bronze tickets.

How is "membership" different?

The Rovers cards (Gold, Silver and Bronze) are actually "Membership" cards, Mark.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#22 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

Example of possible Membership options (having looked at NRL clubs):

9iuty1.png

Leeds do a 5 match flexi pack on top of the different memberships mentioned elsewhere on this thread

Select 2 games from the A stream & 3 from the B Stream

• A Stream Opposition:
    Bradford Bulls, Hull FC, St Helens, Warrington Wolves, Wigan Warriors
  • B Stream Opposition:
    Catalans Dragons, Castleford Tigers, Huddersfield Giants, Hull KR, London Broncos, Salford City Reds, Wakefield Wildcats, Widnes Vikings
    You can specify the games you want at time of purchase or wait until the fixture dates are released in November 2013. The deadline for fixture selection is 31st January 2014. After this date no changes can be made.

•  

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#23 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

I signed up and paid for a Wales RL membership prior to the world cup (£15). The idea was to form a WRL 'Supporters Club' and the first 1000 members would have their names on a panel on the front of the world cup shirt. Unfortunately the scheme fell apart, Wales used a different shirt manufacturer and those who signed up  had their membership fee returned.

I still like the idea of signing up to some sort of membership to support Wales and hopefully the idea will be resurrected.

Griff: my original question wasn't intended to be unfair but now I have a bit more information I can see what you mean. As Crusaders and Scorpions are in Wales, our international governing body is WRL yet the clubs play in RFL leagues and competitions, Any Championship/ Championship 1 memberships scheme would have to encompass the UK and not just England.

#24 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

The Rovers cards (Gold, Silver and Bronze) are actually "Membership" cards, Mark.

Right. Rovers have a wide range of options for membership/ST/call-it-what-you-will, and I assume without looking most clubs do similar things.

So, there is no difference between what UK clubs and NRL clubs are tring to do.

So, odd thread really.

A Fev Blog

#25 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

Whilst some Super League clubs, like the Rhinos, pretty much offer a very similar list of packages that any club in Australia does, there are plenty of clubs who really need to pick up their game, and introducing a proper membership program across Super League would help this.

Using the London Broncos as an example, the only offering I can find for Membership are the following:

• Full Season Ticket (Adult & Concession pricing)
  • Junior Broncos (U/19's Season Ticket)

Pretty limiting, especially for anyone who doesn't live near where the Broncos play. 

Straight away with a club like that, offering options such as half season, 3 game packages, away game memberships, and of course non-ticketed memberships. I don't live in London, getting to a game outside of maybe once or twice a year is impossible for me, however I'm prepared to open my wallet to support my club.  As it currently stands the only way I can do this, is to pretty much buy a light blue shirt with a bad logo on it... not really compelling, especially on a year by year basis.

Clubs like Bradford and Wigan don't appear to be much better (although they at least have categories of season tickets).  For a club like Wigan especially which has so much history and has fans scattered around the UK, they especially should be offering away and non-ticketed memberships.  They honestly are missing out.

Whilst it has always been said clubs shouldn't rely on 'away' supporters to boost their averages, imagine for a club like London the boost they would get if Wigan sold a 'London' membership, and knew in January/February, that for the game they were hosting that year, they would have a minimum of say 800 London based Wigan fans. The two clubs would both get a cut of the membership, London would have a better handle on expected crowds, and best of all they would have the money in the bank to invest into promoting other games or attempting to draw more fans to the match.

Posted Image

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

Right. Rovers have a wide range of options for membership/ST/call-it-what-you-will, and I assume without looking most clubs do similar things.

So, there is no difference between what UK clubs and NRL clubs are tring to do.

So, odd thread really.

I think there are differences, some nice little things that can be adopted, but I agree that it is being overstated somewhat.

I live in Edinburgh so can usually get to only a couple of games per year - yet I can make my contributions in a couple of ways.

Firstly, I buy a shirt (or other merchandise). Secondly, I have a £5 standing order per month going to Squadbuilder (which is a larger investment than South's non-ticketed membership option).

I think anything that can increase revenue should be looked at, and I quite like memberships and the feeling of belonging to a club as a way of getting fans on board, but the suggestion earlier in the thread with the StHelens example I would expect is unworkable at this stage. I'm also not sure that there should be a membership option which is basically a ticket for a London Broncos game - that doesn't seem right to me!

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Whilst it has always been said clubs shouldn't rely on 'away' supporters to boost their averages, imagine for a club like London the boost they would get if Wigan sold a 'London' membership, and knew in January/February, that for the game they were hosting that year, they would have a minimum of say 800 London based Wigan fans. The two clubs would both get a cut of the membership, London would have a better handle on expected crowds, and best of all they would have the money in the bank to invest into promoting other games or attempting to draw more fans to the match.

can't they just sell tickets?

Why would branding it a membership suddenly make more Wigan fans go along to the London game?

#28 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

I think there are differences, some nice little things that can be adopted, but I agree that it is being overstated somewhat.

I live in Edinburgh so can usually get to only a couple of games per year - yet I can make my contributions in a couple of ways.

Firstly, I buy a shirt (or other merchandise). Secondly, I have a £5 standing order per month going to Squadbuilder (which is a larger investment than South's non-ticketed membership option).

I think anything that can increase revenue should be looked at, and I quite like memberships and the feeling of belonging to a club as a way of getting fans on board, but the suggestion earlier in the thread with the StHelens example I would expect is unworkable at this stage. I'm also not sure that there should be a membership option which is basically a ticket for a London Broncos game - that doesn't seem right to me!

Ok, sounds good.

So, just to clarify, this is about SL clubs needing to follow Featherstone Rovers lead? :tongue:

A Fev Blog

#29 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Why would branding it a membership suddenly make more Wigan fans go along to the London game?

The idea behind membership is to mmake people feel like they are part of their club and are contributing to their club.

Buying just a ticket to a London game does not contribute to Wigans wellbeing in any way, but a membership does.

Sure London doesn't get the same yield per ticket sale, but they are leveraging another supporter base and getting someone else to do the heavy lifting.

As for why would membership lead to more Wigan fans turning up to a London game? Well it might not, but it gets people to pre purchase, which helps cash flow and budgeting. It also allows Wigan to understand their fan base outside of Wigan, which helps with sponsors, advertising and much more.
Posted Image

#30 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

i think something like this should be considered at catalans too. with their wide geographical supporter base few attend all the matches because of distances involved. i'd certainly pay for a membership. i reckon 12,000 french supporters will watch the dragons in any one season at brutus. i would have thought london would benefit here too. when i lived in the west country i would only do 3/4 games per season. not all are tied into buying merchandise stuff every year as more & more possible look to older shirts which had a special appeal. club membership could be seen as a useful marketing tool. for south sydney just connecting with 30,000 plus gives it gravitas.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

The idea behind membership is to mmake people feel like they are part of their club and are contributing to their club.

Buying just a ticket to a London game does not contribute to Wigans wellbeing in any way, but a membership does.

Sure London doesn't get the same yield per ticket sale, but they are leveraging another supporter base and getting someone else to do the heavy lifting.

As for why would membership lead to more Wigan fans turning up to a London game? Well it might not, but it gets people to pre purchase, which helps cash flow and budgeting. It also allows Wigan to understand their fan base outside of Wigan, which helps with sponsors, advertising and much more.

I think the potential issue with this is that it is probably only relevant for a handful of people.

I would say there is much more opportunity around packaging home tickets and other member offers, but this happens in a fe clubs as it is.

The real trick is getting money for 'nothing' or some cheap tat, that people want because they feel part of the club.

#32 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

The numbers that people are hoping for by being flexible/inventive are highly optimistic! Wigan have 800 fans in or around London??

A Fev Blog

#33 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

Championship club gates have (roughly) halved - or worse - over the last 20 years, so stick your head in the sand by all means or try to bring a breath of fresh air into your marketing.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

Championship club gates have (roughly) halved - or worse - over the last 20 years, so stick your head in the sand by all means or try to bring a breath of fresh air into your marketing.

So Wigan selling tickets for the London away game (which they already do) but re-naming it a Membership will bring a breath of fresh air into marketing? How exactly?

I've already said there are some good points here, but some of the list of suggestions just don't make much sense to me. 

#35 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

So Wigan selling tickets for the London away game (which they already do) but re-naming it a Membership will bring a breath of fresh air into marketing? How exactly?

I've already said there are some good points here, but some of the list of suggestions just don't make much sense to me. 

Dave - you seem like a bloke who gets to a few games.  Any marketing initiative isn't going to be aimed at the likes of you and me, who'll be there anyway.  It'll be aimed at the people who might come if the deal's good enough.  You need to put yourself in their mindset, not yours.

#36 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hemel have got a few membership schemes - essentially a season ticket with extras, including - importantly - a stake in the supporters trust.

http://hemelstags.com/shop/product/13/

We've gone for the Gold family membership this year. I really like what Hemel are doing and where they're going so am happy to spend a few quid extra to show my support.

The named seats are essentially pointless for my two children though - wriggly little buggers.  :tongue:

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

Dave - you seem like a bloke who gets to a few games.  Any marketing initiative isn't going to be aimed at the likes of you and me, who'll be there anyway.  It'll be aimed at the people who might come if the deal's good enough.  You need to put yourself in their mindset, not yours.

Mate, part of my job is working with Marketing managers and Agencies so I'm not in the wrong mindset around the marketing and targeting of customers, I'm just not convinced that selling a ticket for London v Wigan should be re-branded as a Wigan Membership.

I think there have been some really good things in recent years where clubs have been incentivised to sell tickets for away games (10% cut IIRC), the free Challenge Cup Tickets, discounted Cup tickets and free Children's tickets for away games included in Season Tickets. These things should be pushed further, whereas in reality they actually fade away to the point that when it comes to away games websites just seem to mention it in passing rather than trying to get people along to these games.

I think Memberships is a very good idea, and I like the competitive element that the NRL have put in, but this needs to stack up financially, and two things I noticed straight away was that Warrington's cheapest Adult Season Ticket was more expensive than South's most expensive Season Ticket Membership - and the minor memberships for Souths (priced around £40) is basically a bundle of merchandise.

What would be interesting to see is whether 20k members at Souths is better than 10k Season Tickets plus merchandise, plus supporters clubs income at a club like Wigan.

I think there is something in it, and I think anything that adds to the buzz is good, but I think the effort required may not match the rewards.

I note that Hull KR and a few others have memberships schemes, it would be interesting to know why other clubs have not followed their lead.

#38 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

Fair enough, Dave.

You only find out if summat works after you've tried it.

#39 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hornets already have a membership programme - and in buying a membership, you buy ownership in the club!

Go on - treat yourself for Christmas: owning a Rugby League club isn't just for Marwan Koukash!

http://www.hornetsru...page.php?id=838

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#40 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Oxford already has memberships - glorified season ticket with some additional badges and members' forums. I have one. Still think I'm missing something here....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users