TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The RFL and Super League should bring Club Memberships to England

season tickets memberships super league competition attendances $$$$$

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

The memberships idea, as some have said, is more about belonging to your club. For instance, you might get a hat with Storm 2014 Member (or whatever) on it, or a Member car sticker - people love to show these off, and are proud to be a member of their club.
It's a way of involving people in their club.

It's also great if you live in a different part of the country. For example, as a Storm fan on the Gold Coast, I can buy a Storm Queensland membership, which would give me access to two Storm games in Qld, one home match, plus a load of other stuff, and priority access for Grand Final tickets etc.
It's great to know you are still valued as a member, and can still get things like priority GF tickets, even if you cannot get to games every week.

I think having southern memberships would be great for northern SL teams. It could give that person access to their team's match at the Broncos, maybe a Skolars game, and perhaps one or two of their team's home games as well. They would also get the member's merchandise, so it would give them that sense of being part of the club.

The Broncos could perhaps offer a northern membership too, for their fans who live in the north.

Some English clubs are obviously already on board with memberships, but I think a lot of clubs could do a lot more

#42 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

The memberships idea, as some have said, is more about belonging to your club. For instance, you might get a hat with Storm 2014 Member (or whatever) on it, or a Member car sticker - people love to show these off, and are proud to be a member of their club.
It's a way of involving people in their club.

It's also great if you live in a different part of the country. For example, as a Storm fan on the Gold Coast, I can buy a Storm Queensland membership, which would give me access to two Storm games in Qld, one home match, plus a load of other stuff, and priority access for Grand Final tickets etc.
It's great to know you are still valued as a member, and can still get things like priority GF tickets, even if you cannot get to games every week.

I think having southern memberships would be great for northern SL teams. It could give that person access to their team's match at the Broncos, maybe a Skolars game, and perhaps one or two of their team's home games as well. They would also get the member's merchandise, so it would give them that sense of being part of the club.

The Broncos could perhaps offer a northern membership too, for their fans who live in the north.

Some English clubs are obviously already on board with memberships, but I think a lot of clubs could do a lot more

Living in Wellington I got a full season ticket to the warriors in 2010 and with flights etc it cost me a ###### fortune. From then on I have just been a member and picked 5 games a year in Australia to go to making a weekend of it for the same money but a lot less agro from the co-pilot!
I feel no less loyal to the club.....if we got a team down here I'd drop them like a hot spud

#43 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

Oxford already has memberships - glorified season ticket with some additional badges and members' forums. I have one. Still think I'm missing something here....

Maybe, maybe not... check Leeds Rhinos as an example of non ticket membership and see if what Oxford offer is similar. Url below and look at the non ticketed options:

http://www.iamarhino.co.uk/benefits

You may be amused by the pet membership, or even the baby membership....

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Maybe, maybe not... check Leeds Rhinos as an example of non ticket membership and see if what Oxford offer is similar. Url below and look at the non ticketed options:

http://www.iamarhino.co.uk/benefits

You may be amused by the pet membership, or even the baby membership....

I think Hull KR had a good example of one a few years back, not sure if it still happens, but it was something like £50 and you got the DVD's of the games each week.

As mentioned, I don't get to many games, but I'd pay for a membership which gave me DVD's or even online full coverage of all the games. Or even just that service at all.

#45 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Good example - proves the point that there are sales opportunities being missed.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#46 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Good example - proves the point that there are sales opportunities being missed.

I am sure there are opoortunities being missed.

However the OP said "Super League could have say 174k members in a few years. Championship could get 30k-35k members I reckon".

Not sure if it makes anyone an all knowing know all moaning minority who can get stuffed by questioning whether changing ticketing arrangements will really provide our game with the tens of thousands more fans predicted?

#47 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Going back to the OP. I read that AFL club Collingwood are predicting to break the 100k membership figure. Many have poured scorn on this figure, claiming the actual number of with a full membership will be much less. Hawthorn are another club who's membership has a high percentage of junior members, country members, etc. However the point is, surely the more membership sales a club makes, of all categories, the greater the interest in that club. Wouldn't, couldn't this, see commercial progress?

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#48 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Are we not missing the point ?

For me, it's not so much about "being a member", it's about increasing the product range and making customers feel valued even if they can't get through the turnstiles as often as they'd like.

#49 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

Jacksonville Axemen usually do an International Membership package, though can't find it on their new website

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#50 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

For me, it's not so much about "being a member", it's about increasing the product range and making customers feel valued even if they can't get through the turnstiles as often as they'd like.

That's it. Some here seem to be missing the greater commercial value of memberships. That could include something like discounts on merchandise.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#51 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

Rochdale Hornets membership gets fans out onto the field too!

The 2014 away jersey is in recognition of the members' contribution to achieving promotion to the Championship. It is quartered with bronze, silver, gold and platinum to reflect the tiers of membership and will have 200 individual and corporate members' names within the design.

BbiEvVLIgAELs0F.jpg

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#52 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

11467002763_a325af6d8a.jpg11466848555_378e337881.jpg

Salford , tried a ' membership scheme ' in 2012, like most things they tried that year it was a disaster, rather than just ' pay ' a straight price for a season ticket , it was split up between a membership fee & various levels of package than gave additional benefits . On  NRL lines

In detail it added up to a good deal but in reality it was just too confusing & flummoxed alot of fans.  

Salford fans  either pay for a season ticket or just rock up to pay on the gate , we still have issues with stadium owners who flaty resisit to allow cash turnstiles on the Home or away terraces.

Under the new owner the Red Devils have reverted to a standard ticket  or pass card , not membership . 

I can see some benefit in offering a non attendance ' member package ' along the lines of the NRL clubs , for supporters who have moved away or otherwise no able to afford to attend but want to show their allegiance to their club . with some member access on the Club Website & some club shop gear as part of the deal .

this would just be an attempt to articially inflate fan numbers ?

On the NRL member schemes do we know what the split is between full paying ( attending ) members and country - non attending ?  

#53 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

The 2014 away jersey is in recognition of the members' contribution to achieving promotion to the Championship. It is quartered with bronze, silver, gold and platinum to reflect the tiers of membership and will have 200 individual and corporate members' names within the design.

That's a good idea... me thinks

#54 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

BbiEvVLIgAELs0F.jpg

That away jersey is vile.   Is it real metal ?

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

That's it. Some here seem to be missing the greater commercial value of memberships. That could include something like discounts on merchandise.

but this is sort of the point - you are highlighting an opportunity that isnt really there. Season tickets (the British memberships) already often provide a merchandise discount.
If the main benefit of a membership is a merchandise discount then that reduces the value to the club.

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

I think the areas we should be targeting are incremental sales and some of these suggestions could be risky.

Offering a partial season ticket would appear to be a great idea in principle but in practice it could encourage people to just commit to half the games and not bother with some of the others.

For example, if a club has 10k season ticket holders and then offers a lesser package, the risk is that 1k of these take the lesser package instead, rather than the desired behaviour of 10k continuing to buy full season tickets and 1k new customers. Sales cannibalisation is a massive risk.

I could be wrong but my understanding of the Aussie game is that season tickets have never really been a big part of the culture their, meaning that pretty much all of this membership drive in revent years has been upside.

The UK has a season ticket culture and by just translating the Aussie version over here you are risking a) lethargy or b ) lost income.

As I have said throughout I think there are some really good ideas that can be borrowed but the NRL memberships scheme overall as a package doesnt seem a natural fit for SL at this stage imho.

#57 Jack GB

Jack GB
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

I think a good balance would be somewhere in between what they have in Oz (lots of types of memberships) and what we have in UK in season tickets -

Ticketed Membership - Tickets and membership to all super league game, priority on GF, CC Final, discount on merch etc etc

Non-Ticketed - Members Hat, Scarf or Polo etc....

I think we are missing a trick a little by not offering some way for fans who cant attend games supporting their club in a way of a memebership.

#58 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

I think the areas we should be targeting are incremental sales and some of these suggestions could be risky.

Offering a partial season ticket would appear to be a great idea in principle but in practice it could encourage people to just commit to half the games and not bother with some of the others.

I wouldn't offer a partial ticket - any six games during the season or whatever - for exactly that reason.  I'd sell a book of - say - ten tickets.  When you've used them, you buy another book - at any point in the season.  If it's late in the season, the price might be a bit higher to reflect that some of the tickets will probably be used next season.

I'd also like to experiment with being able to use the vouchers at cup ties - to prove or disprove the theory that season ticket holders don't  go to shared gate games because they have to pay.

#59 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

leeds  have the leeds line lottery  and the rhinos 2000   memberships neither of which are dependent on going to any games  

the lottery costs £1 per week  and the rhinos 2000 cost  £2 per week  .  both put money into the club without needing a to go and watch a game  and in the case of the rhinos 2000  it also allows priority tickets for cup finals and grand finals equal to that of a season ticket

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#60 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

leeds  have the leeds line lottery  and the rhinos 2000   memberships neither of which are dependent on going to any games  

the lottery costs £1 per week  and the rhinos 2000 cost  £2 per week  .  both put money into the club without needing a to go and watch a game  and in the case of the rhinos 2000  it also allows priority tickets for cup finals and grand finals equal to that of a season ticket

Don't see either of these as Membership Schemes in the sense of this thread.  The lottery is just that - a fund raiser.  If I buy a ticket for the National Lottery, I don't see myself as a member of it.

Rhinos 2000 ... is that some sort of Nat Lofthouse/Alf Davies organisation ?  A few fringe benefits but the one everyone looks at first is the weekly draw ?  If it is - just another lottery for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users