FIFA WC 2014 & Alcohol

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Let me make it clear from the start, I no longer drink alcohol!

But in the past when ever there has been a football tournament me and a few friends have always got S### faced on the oppositions beer or wine or spirit, now I see a problem with the next world cup as Uruguay surely must have some alcoholic output, otherwise everybody would live in Montevideo waiting for the next suicide, however, extensive research has proven fruitless at my local Tesco's and Sainsbury's, both "Extra's". There must be drinkable Uruguayan wine out there, but the shelves of South American wine are stocked with Argentinian and Chilean. My mate who lives in London has located Columbian beer, but not even the ex-pat Urugauyan's know where they can get Uruguayan beer, not even in London.

Then we come to Costa Rica. FFS, what do they get sozzled on? Rum? Jamaican Rum probably mixed with Mexican Tequila. Where are they going to get anything from CR?

Italy? Peroni or Pinot Grigio.

Could the draw have been any worse?

(Well yes, we could have drawn Australia, and they would pick on Fosters recycled beer)

GROUP B: Spain (Damm, San Miguel, excellent wines, and Sherry's), Netherlands (apart from Heineken, some great beers), Chile (Accessable wines, some actually drinkable), Australia (Do I have to list them all?)

GROUP H: Belguim (OH MY GOD!!!! I once had a trappist beer at 15%avb), Algeria is French*, so any Southern French wine will do, South Korea (I'm sure there used to be a decent Korean beer - Hite?) and Russia (Bring on a gallon of Stolichnaya, boys)

GROUP E: Ecuador (er?), Switzerland (Lowenbrau?), Honduras (er?), France :drag:

I think the ideal group draw for my mates would have been

Brazil (Brahma)

USA (Any beers or wines), or Russia (Vodkas)

Mexico (Corona, Tequila)

I think my mates suicide rate would have gone through the roof if England had drawn Switzerland, Iran and Ecuador

Anyone got any better, or worse ideas, can you help my mates with Costa Rican or Uruguayan alcohol?

*Only kidding.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#2 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

Most popular beer in Costa Rica is Imperial. I assume it's local as it was in every bar I went to when I was on a surf trip there in '92. Wonderful country!

"PURA VIDA!" as the Tico's say.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

Uruguay is wine world's rising star.

The drinks  of Costa Rica

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Ta - I will pass the info on

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Bleep's Group of Death
Switzerland: There are Swiss breweries - not tried any, as far as I can recall.
Iran: Arak, although getting genuine Iranian stuff will be impossible, as it is produced privately and in secret. The description I've read suggests that the closest you can get would be Grappa.
Ecuador: Agaurdiente.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Switzerland dose some very nice wines although in small volumes so very little leaves the country. On trips to Basel and San Mortiz I have sampled these and would certainly be happy to try more. They go well with a nice fondue.

28m391z.jpg

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

For brazil you need to be drinking cachaca and turning it into caipirinha.

Caipirinha (pronounced kie-purr-REEN-yah) roughly translates to "country bumpkin". It is made with cachaça, an intensely sweet Brazillian style of rummade from sugarcane juice. The Caipirinha is the national drink of Brazil, where it originated, and is a common Carnavale drink. Although it is more difficult to find, it's important to choose a premium cachaça for this cocktail in particular because the drink is not heavily flavored and a cheaper brand can ruin an otherwise perfect Caipirinha. You may also like theneater Caipirini.
Prep Time: 3 minutes Total Time: 3 minutes Yield: 1 Cocktail Ingredients: Preparation:
  1. Place the lime wedges and sugar into an old-fashioned glass.
  2. Muddle well.
  3. Fill the glass with ice cubes.
  4. Pour in the cachaca.
  5. Stir well.

Note: Keep the sugar mixed in the drink by stirring often.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users