* * * * * 1 votes

Expansion... Wait for it... Sth Africa

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

How can a country so proud of its rugby union not be more prominent in RL? Makes no sense to me. Would love to see them become a real force and challenge Eng, Aus and NZ.

That's like asking why Papua New Guinea aren't much good at rugby union. Should they be?

#22 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

That's like asking why Papua New Guinea aren't much good at rugby union. Should they be?

It isn't even slightly like asking that. Although it's their national sport they're not exactly world-beaters are they? South Africa are among the world's elite in Rugby Union, all I'm wondering is why, unlike England, NZ and Aus, they don't have a big presence in both.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#23 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

It isn't even slightly like asking that. Although it's their national sport they're not exactly world-beaters are they? South Africa are among the world's elite in Rugby Union, all I'm wondering is why, unlike England, NZ and Aus, they don't have a big presence in both.

The level their national team plays at is irrelivent, your basic theory is they play rugby union extensively why don't they play rugby league. The same question can be raised about PNG in reverse. 

#24 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

The level their national team plays at is irrelivent, your basic theory is they play rugby union extensively why don't they play rugby league. The same question can be raised about PNG in reverse. 

It is relevant because that's the point I'm making.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#25 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

The obvious answer is because the history of "rugby" and the demographics of the sport is entirely different.

And whilst the Kumuls aren't world beaters, they have very high participation rates in RL but not in RU. South Africa is the exact opposite.

I don't really understand why it is surprising. Countries that are very good at tennis, aren't necessarily very good at squash (or vice versa).

#26 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

I could be losing my mind but does anybody else remember a south African kids side playing in a curtain raiser before the challenge cup in the late 90's maybe?

#27 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

The Roosters did sign someone (can't remember his name) but I think he returned to RU quite quickly.

SA seems to be running a domestic competition, but it seems to be pretty low-key. They have the ongoing problem with getting official recognition to deal with too. Oddly, the problem doesn't appear to originate with the SARFU in this case. 

An exhibition match or an on-the-road NRL game would be a way of testing the waters.

SA is predominantly a Football nation, though.

Jp du plessis was his name(google).

#28 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

I visited a sports bar run by South Africans in Docklands and they say Rugby League is played in all the schools and is the kids favoutite game just no teams when they leave school.

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#29 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

I visited a sports bar run by South Africans in Docklands and they say Rugby League is played in all the schools and is the kids favoutite game just no teams when they leave school.

I find that hard to believe but hope it's true.

#30 B rad

B rad
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

West Australian/South African West side NRL faction maybe.

That's a lot of improbable development and money down the track though. Very unlikely it would ever happen.

Edited by B rad, 18 December 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#31 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

A South African team played in Australia in October. http://crlnsw.com.au...-africa-rhinos/

#32 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

It would be a complete waste of time. We need to be putting any effort into making the French better. This will help us more in the long run.

#33 ben25

ben25
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Weren't those two kids on training contracts and one eventually went back to SA before playing any games and the other stayed in Australia and try his hand in union?

No they both had full contracts, one played in the 20's comp for nearly the whole year but got injured then went back to union maybe in Aust or back to SA but hasn't been heard of. The other player i am not sure what happened too. Both just didn't seem to work out but there was not much news on what happened.

#34 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

It would be a complete waste of time. We need to be putting any effort into making the French better. This will help us more in the long run.

True but it would be the NRL and not super league putting down roots in south Africa, it's super league that is in a position to help the French.

#35 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'd go with the WCC in South Africa with a curtain raiser of 2 South African clubs.

#36 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

According to goigle JP Du Plessis ended up at the Stormers in the Super 15. Whether he played much I'm not sure.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#37 Gungha Din

Gungha Din
  • Coach
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

Can anyone see the RLWC making a dent in the minds of South Africans, if ever it were to be held there (they have expressed an interest in holding the '17 WC)? More importantly (to me anyway), would SA make a success of hosting it? Personally I'm not sure they'd fill the stadia sufficiently and if it'd catch the public consciousness, but then again the same is true when its been held in more traditional countries too, right? For me, the next WC should be held in Aus/NZ with a commitment given to SA to host the next one, if they were still interested.

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

#38 LineBall

LineBall
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:12 AM

Whilst my view is this is very much Pie in the Sky as much as I would love to see it happen, the flight time between Cape town and Sydney is 14 hours and 15 mins, the flight time between Cape Town and Manchester is 12 hours and 45 mins. With the same time zone as well, surely an SA side would make more sense in Super League....

They would need to expose a lot of people for the game for decades before they would have any chance of this happening.  And that would mean games on TV, at least one per week on free to air, and that would be pretty difficult to achieve. 

In a hypothetical future, if Rugby League did take off in SA, then they would either have to have their own strong domestic comp, or the NRL would morph into something more similar to the Super Rugby Championship we have now.

#39 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:32 AM

Getting rl on tv in SA would be a good start.

#40 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

Funny guy!!! :shout:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users