Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Expansion... Wait for it... Sth Africa

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

New ish to RL so may be a dumb comment, but all the big Aussie sides are in the east of the country. Surely if the NRL is looking to expand, the other bits of their own country would be more logical, than a country where the white population in obsessed by Union, the black population by football

#42 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

New ish to RL so may be a dumb comment, but all the big Aussie sides are in the east of the country. Surely if the NRL is looking to expand, the other bits of their own country would be more logical, than a country where the white population in obsessed by Union, the black population by football

AFL has a greater geographic reach than the NRL so it's not a dumb question at all. Back in the 90s there were teams in Perth and Adelaide (and there's NZ of course) who folded for various reasons but it's a pretty safe bet that whenever the next wave of expansion comes, Perth will have a team again for TV reasons as much as anything else. 

#43 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

I disagree with notion that SA should be good at RL, because they are at RU. I mean football is the national sport there, yet they've only qualified for the WC three times, once as a host. It's no crime that they're not dominant at RL. I don't think it'll be long until they're usurped by Ghana as the best African RL nation, with the game spreading there fast and the access to heritage players in the UK.

A better market for the NRL to target is China. I don't care if it's a pre-season friendly, a NRL game, an Origin match, WCC or an ANZAC test, whatever just take a match there. If we want to grow the game globally, then Asia and the Middle East are the two markets to go after. Chinese people don't know what 'rugby' (either code) is, so there'd be no hostility towards the sport from the start, unlike in SA. The NRL should also give away TV rights for free to Chinese TV, that's what the NBA and NFL did and now Basketball is huge in China.