Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Expansion... Wait for it... Sth Africa

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

New ish to RL so may be a dumb comment, but all the big Aussie sides are in the east of the country. Surely if the NRL is looking to expand, the other bits of their own country would be more logical, than a country where the white population in obsessed by Union, the black population by football

#42 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

New ish to RL so may be a dumb comment, but all the big Aussie sides are in the east of the country. Surely if the NRL is looking to expand, the other bits of their own country would be more logical, than a country where the white population in obsessed by Union, the black population by football

AFL has a greater geographic reach than the NRL so it's not a dumb question at all. Back in the 90s there were teams in Perth and Adelaide (and there's NZ of course) who folded for various reasons but it's a pretty safe bet that whenever the next wave of expansion comes, Perth will have a team again for TV reasons as much as anything else. 

#43 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

I disagree with notion that SA should be good at RL, because they are at RU. I mean football is the national sport there, yet they've only qualified for the WC three times, once as a host. It's no crime that they're not dominant at RL. I don't think it'll be long until they're usurped by Ghana as the best African RL nation, with the game spreading there fast and the access to heritage players in the UK.

A better market for the NRL to target is China. I don't care if it's a pre-season friendly, a NRL game, an Origin match, WCC or an ANZAC test, whatever just take a match there. If we want to grow the game globally, then Asia and the Middle East are the two markets to go after. Chinese people don't know what 'rugby' (either code) is, so there'd be no hostility towards the sport from the start, unlike in SA. The NRL should also give away TV rights for free to Chinese TV, that's what the NBA and NFL did and now Basketball is huge in China.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users