Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Jam Jar Club - a bit of fun and a bit of fundraising

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Riggy said post some fundraising ideas on here, so here we go with the first one. It's simple, won't raise a lot, but it's start and essentially costs nothing.

The Swinton Lions "Jam Jar" Club

The idea

It's pretty simple and does exactly what it says on the tin, or jam jar, for that matter. Over the next couple of weeks we'll all be out and about, probably having a few pints, buying the shopping etc. So with that in mind everyone put aside a jam jar and throw your loose change in it.

One month today, Saturday 18th January, hand your jam jar to the Trust or pay it into their account.

All the money is then counted up, and the person who has collected the most will get a Swinton home replica from the 2007 season which is currently at the back of my wardrobe, unworn as it's XXL. The proceeds go to the Trust funds.

It's a bit of fun, but it's also a simple way of giving money to the Trust without noticing it. If 30 of us all raised £30 then it's almost a grand for no effort whatsoever.  It's not a lot, but if it works, it's a few quid and it can only grow.

Even better... encourage your local to put a jam jar behind the bar, again for the same cause, and get them to encourage customers to put their change in. If they win it they could frame the shirt.

I've already got £1.43 in mine so I've got a head start. Who's in?

Current  League table:

Jonty - £1.43

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#2 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

A quick rule...

No notes. Coins only. Euros accepted.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

#3 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Sportsman dinners and Golf days are always good earners for fund raising.  A couple of lads from the meeting advised they was DJ's and very kindly donate there services if we had night doo's.

#4 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

Yes there were three DJs present on Monday evening all very keen to lend their services.

#5 lancaster Lion

lancaster Lion
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Good thinking Jonty. I am starting the Lancaster Lions Jam Jar Challenge tonight. I will send the money to the trust by the 18/01/2014.

#6 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Good thinking Jonty. I am starting the Lancaster Lions Jam Jar Challenge tonight. I will send the money to the trust by the 18/01/2014.

Thanks Mark. Hope you are well.

John

disques vogue

#7 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

How about a darts competition?  A few quid to enter, maybe at Swinton Leisure, the money is split between the winner, runner up and the trust?

They usually hold a couple of competitions a year there and are always very well attended.  The last one was attended by professional players Mike Smith and Ross Smith who are currently playing in the World Championships as well as local pro player Peter Hudson who played James Wade in last years World Championships.

Posted Image

#8 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

Another fundraising idea.
There was a fund raiser for local ice hockey here on Saturday night. About 1000 people turned out at $10 per head to see the Boston Bruins Alumni team play a local squad. The Alumni are all retired Bruins players, some just just retired but many stars from the 70s and 80s played. It was not a serious game with board checks and slap shots banned but the skill level was still there.

How about a fund raiser for the Lions, starring Lions Alumni, against say a similar Leigh squad. Touch, not tackle.
And to add icing on the cake, have shirt sponsors pop up for cameo appearances, all they have to do is commit to shirt sponsorship and show up. I've always wanted to hear "Try by John Spellman, shirt sponsored by John Spellman" and "Goal by Geoff Hewitt, shirt sponsored by Geoff Hewitt"! It would have to be right in front of the sticks, of course.

I'd be there!

Geoff
Posted Image