Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Which classic Fev game do you wish was available on DVD?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

Many of us have enjoyed watching some of the classic Fev games that are available from the club shop, but there must be so many fantastic games that were never recorded, especially from the glory years of the 1970s. There are two games in particular I really wish were available, partly because they come from the pre-internet era and you're basically left to rely on your ever-fading memory.

The first is the Challenge Cup quarter final at home to Leeds on 14th March 1976. From memory we won 33-7 and I still think this was the best Rovers performance I have ever seen (was only 12 at the time mind). All I can remember from that game now is we scored a great try from our then-trademark scrum move, but I do know that result caused quite a stir in the RL world, unfortunately we lost to Widnes in the semi-final.

The other game I'd really love to see again was against Hull KR. The rugbyleagueproject.org website suggests it was in the Players No 6 Trophy on Oct 23rd 1977. My memory of that game was we had a player (possibly Vince Farrar, though that would have been a very rare event) sent off in the first half and were getting hammered at half time by about 20 points before a remarkable second half comeback up the hill based largely on the immaculate goalkicking of Jeff Townend (I presume Steve Quinn was injured at the time). From memory two Hull KR players were sent off in that second half, one of them being the late, great Clive Sullivan for an instinctive high tackle - I remember feeling very bad about that as he was the least dirty player you'd ever see but it was one of those games that was always verging on boiling over and with the crowd baying after we'd had a man dismissed in the first half I knew as soon as the tackle was made that he would be on his way. The game was decided by a late penalty goal by Townend, final score 25-24, and he was chaired off the field. If anyone else remembers that game or can confirm/refute any of those memories (or have any of their own from other games the past) it would be good to read.

#2 philcow

philcow
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

My brain getting a bit old now, but the time away at saints when at half time we were being battered , but a storming second half meant they had to hang on beleive tuuta had a stormer that day and us fans were going barmy.

#3 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

Many of us have enjoyed watching some of the classic Fev games that are available from the club shop, but there must be so many fantastic games that were never recorded, especially from the glory years of the 1970s. There are two games in particular I really wish were available, partly because they come from the pre-internet era and you're basically left to rely on your ever-fading memory.

The first is the Challenge Cup quarter final at home to Leeds on 14th March 1976. From memory we won 33-7 and I still think this was the best Rovers performance I have ever seen (was only 12 at the time mind). All I can remember from that game now is we scored a great try from our then-trademark scrum move, but I do know that result caused quite a stir in the RL world, unfortunately we lost to Widnes in the semi-final.

The other game I'd really love to see again was against Hull KR. The rugbyleagueproject.org website suggests it was in the Players No 6 Trophy on Oct 23rd 1977. My memory of that game was we had a player (possibly Vince Farrar, though that would have been a very rare event) sent off in the first half and were getting hammered at half time by about 20 points before a remarkable second half comeback up the hill based largely on the immaculate goalkicking of Jeff Townend (I presume Steve Quinn was injured at the time). From memory two Hull KR players were sent off in that second half, one of them being the late, great Clive Sullivan for an instinctive high tackle - I remember feeling very bad about that as he was the least dirty player you'd ever see but it was one of those games that was always verging on boiling over and with the crowd baying after we'd had a man dismissed in the first half I knew as soon as the tackle was made that he would be on his way. The game was decided by a late penalty goal by Townend, final score 25-24, and he was chaired off the field. If anyone else remembers that game or can confirm/refute any of those memories (or have any of their own from other games the past) it would be good to read.

I can remember that game, i would love to see the semi versus cas at headingley and that was televised so maybe some footage exists

#4 roversspud

roversspud
  • Coach
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

Phantom, the other Hull K R player  sent off if I recall correctly was Brian Lockwood who was dismissed with Vince.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

#5 IanFalkiner

IanFalkiner
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

1976/77 Season Salford away. If we won we were odds on to win the title and we were losing when Steve Quinn scored in the corner in the last minute,  meaning we were a point behind. Quinn was injured when scoring and so Neil Tuffs took the conversion from the touchline. I didnt look but I was told it was a "flapper" and never got above crossbar height but went through the posts!! Had a few that night in the Salford clubhouse!!

#6 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

a john player No6 game v hull, can't remember the year but it may have been deryck foxs first season. i always put Don Fox and Steve Nash in front of Deryck, but that day i thought he had a perfect game. wish i could watch it again just to make sure my memory is not playing tricks on me.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#7 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Rovers V Warrington Challenge cup 3rd round at Wilderspool 1973. Great prerfomance against a side which included the great Alex Murphy. Mel Mason had a stormer.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

a john player No6 game v hull, can't remember the year but it may have been deryck foxs first season. i always put Don Fox and Steve Nash in front of Deryck, but that day i thought he had a perfect game. wish i could watch it again just to make sure my memory is not playing tricks on me.

Great game, all-time classic ending. Huge crowd there too.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#9 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Great game, all-time classic ending. Huge crowd there too.

It was. Think it was something like 20-14 with Fox himself dummying over for the winner.

#10 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

My brain getting a bit old now, but the time away at saints when at half time we were being battered , but a storming second half meant they had to hang on beleive tuuta had a stormer that day and us fans were going barmy.

I think this was the St Helens away game from 1991? Saints were 38-4 up and Rovers brought it back to 44-38. I think it finished 54-38 IIRC.

#11 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

We scored under the sticks in the last few minutes but I think it was ruled out by the ref for non existent knock on to save Saints blushes!, I remember going crackers behind the sticks.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#12 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

As a Knights fan, it would have to be a Challenge Cup game a feW season ago when we scored on the 6th tackle in the last minute to win the game after playing the majority of it with 12 men

#13 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Fartown 1967, Challenge Cup Semi-final versus Leeds. This was the game that turned our history around, after being constant semi-final losers. Winning the final was a stroll in the park compared to putting the runaway league leaders out, and the shock wins against Bradford, Wakey and Cas in the earlier rounds. I can still recall Carl Dooler's game turning try as if it was in slow motion, but I'd love to see it on DVD.

#14 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

Fev at home to Wigan 1052.

#15 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Fev at home to Wigan 1052.

bit before my time that one Colin

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#16 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

It's the Old eye OR. Still waiting for the op. Everything a bit blurred.Waitng seems like since 1066. Of course I meant 1952 or did I? I remember Nordgren and Ratcliffe and the all time greats coming a cropper at Fev but I was only a lad then. Mind you 6 mon ths later I was on active service in Eygpt. I looked at my grandson the other day and thought he only looks a bit of a kid. Same age of my NS call up. Makes you think.

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

I suppose this is a wish list as they were no TV cameras at most (all?) the games mentioned.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#18 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Would've been Novemberish 1983 - Paul Rose was sent off for giving Steve Hankins a right pasting while he was been held down by another Hull player. Apparently after the match Charlie Stone told one of the Hull directors 'we did you in the CC final and we've done you again today' - he was obviously a bit concussed having forgot which side he was on in the final ;)

#19 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

2 classics there.

Totally dominated Leeds that day, and certainly the best display I've seen from a Rovers side.

JT's winning kick was from the touchline too. In the same game I also remember him kicking a penalty to touch from about 10 yards from our try line and the same in from touch that landed about 3 yards (well probably 10) from the Hull KR try line.

A third for me would be v Wake on New Years Day about '76 when we won 52-0 - they had Brian Lockwood and someone else sent off sent off, although the highlight was Charlie Stone going 30yds down the slope to score under the sticks.

#20 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

A third for me would be v Wake on New Years Day about '76 when we won 52-0 - they had Brian Lockwood and someone else sent off sent off, although the highlight was Charlie Stone going 30yds down the slope to score under the sticks.

Yes I remember that game, but especially that try. I think 30 yards is a bit mean on Charlie - well I certainly don't remember him running untouched for that length of time in any other game - and I remember he punched the air before he reached the line too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users