Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Which classic Fev game do you wish was available on DVD?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

Yes I remember that game, but especially that try. I think 30 yards is a bit mean on Charlie - well I certainly don't remember him running untouched for that length of time in any other game - and I remember he punched the air before he reached the line too.

The grin on his face grew wider with every stride too :tongue:

Maybe 35 yards then ;)

#22 sandalrover

sandalrover
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

Wasn't it Mick Morgan sent off with Brian Lockwood ?

#23 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

It was. Think it was something like 20-14 with Fox himself dummying over for the winner.

That's spot on. Deryck feigned to drop a goal, the dummy was taken and he darted in about 10 yards to the left of the posts at the POR end ,I think it was the last play of the game. We did have a prayer after 10 minutes their scrum half, possibly Tony Dean and James Leuluai tore Rovers to shreads and were 10 -0 up in no time. Fox was magnificent that Day as OR says as were Alan Banks and Nigel Barker.
What sticks out in my mind was when I got home my dad thought that Rovers had lost because it was 14- 20 to Hull on Ceefax. It was November 83 if memory serves me correcty. We played Hull in the league, at home just over a month later where Neil Tuffs made a comeback appearance for Rovers.

The boxing day game of 84/85 agsinst Hull at home was also a fantastic performance. John Gilbert and Bosh Lyman destroyed Hull that day. Rovers had a hooker called Tony Staniforth playing in that game he didn't play very many games as a Rover but that gam he really stood out in the loose.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 15 January 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#24 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

wish i had your memory AV.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#25 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

That's spot on. Deryck feigned to drop a goal, the dummy was taken and he darted in about 10 yards to the left of the posts at the POR end ,I think it was the last play of the game. We did have a prayer after 10 minutes their scrum half, possibly the late Tony Dean and James Leuluai tore Rovers to shreads and were 10 -0 up in no time. Fox was magnificent that Day as OR says as were Alan Banks and Nigel Barker.
What sticks out in my mind was when I got home my dad thought that Rovers had lost because it was 14- 20 to Hull on Ceefax. It was November 83 if memory serves me correcty. We played Hull in the league, at home just over a month later where Neil Tuffs made a comeback appearance for Rovers.

For a bonus point, can you name the former GB International winger who scored a try for Fev in that game?

#26 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

• David Barends

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#27 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

• David Barends
impressive work! for an extra bonus point, can you name the winger who was Rovers' top try-scorer that season?

Edited by The Phantom Horseman, 21 December 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#28 Rodill Rover

Rodill Rover
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

2 games from the sixties come to mind, the first being a midweek game with a 2.30 kick off against Hull, I can only think that it must have been a cup replay or clearing fixture backlog, I managed to get out of school to watch it, it was a dull afternoon and the game was near the end with Rovers 10-9 down, scoreboard clock showing time up with the famous red light on, Don Fox took the ball on what seemed to me to be the halfway line and launched a 'Hail Mary' drop goal that sailed over to make it 11-10.

The second game I only read the newspaper report on, once again pre floodlight days away to Widnes and needing a conversion to win. Terry Clawson took the kick and one touch judge was flag up and one was flag down with the referee deciding no goal, I would like to see this one just to see the confusion.

But as has been already said the Leeds C.C game would be a real treat to see again as this was as good a rovers performance as I have ever seen as a top Leeds team were dominated throughout with the highlight for me being John Newlove's try from halfway after receiving the ball at stand off from the scrum and running without a finger being laid upon him.

By watching these I could also see how accurate my memory is.

#29 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

impressive work! for an extra bonus point, can you name the winger who was Rovers' top try-scorer that season?

That'd be Dickie Marsh.

Good thread this.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#30 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Wasn't it Mick Morgan sent off with Brian Lockwood ?

Richard, I think Mick Morgan was sent off against us playing for Wakefield in the 76 Cup run. In the next round we played HKR and I think John Millington was dismissed for Hull KR that day.

Someone mentioned The next round of that cup run earlier on, that was Leeds and a 33-7 victory. I remember all the three games mentioned as a 9 year old at the time. The two things I remember from the game were Dave Dyas' try in the corner at the POR end main stand side, to the acclamation of 'easy easy' and the fact that Leeds played in White, which at the time I'd never seen.

#31 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

That'd be Dickie Marsh.

Good thread this.

John Marsden and Kenny Kellett had just about retired ( The latter had) So Richard Marsh and David Barends got a good run in the disappointing 83/84 season. Chris Welburn was a winger who almost broke through thst season making a couple of appearances. The winger that I was most looking forward to seeing that year was Joe Bardgett, we'd acquired him from Carlisle where two years earlier, he'd won the BBC try of the season by going a hundred yards against John Basnett and the mighty Widnes defence. By the time we'd got him he looked like he couldn't score at an orgy.

#32 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

The second half of the Wigan game in 77 was shown on Grandstand. This was the game where Rovers clinched the title. It was a memorable day for Eddie Waring also, on returning to his car he was greeted by 5 or 6 fans who were celebrating by dancing on his car's bonnet. Segs were all the fashion then.

#33 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

That'd be Dickie Marsh.

more impressive work! The Rovers history files are in good hands.

#34 sandalrover

sandalrover
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

A few more memories I would love to revisit at POR and enjoy the full game on DVD -

A very young Steve Evans coming on late as sub. ( v. Wakey ? Early 80s ) beating many players to score the winning try

Steve Hankins playing for Dewsbury - totally loosing it and getting sent off. We signed him shortly after.

Micky Gibbons going in from about 30 yards out ( v. Widnes ?) he just kept going and going taking players over with him. He came out of the shadow of Thompson etc after that.

Quite interesting really - this thread has really got the memories and juices flowing. There's a lot of noise and a faster pace of change than we have probably experienced before at Rovers. However as it's been stated before - all part of the rollercoaster that is rovers. Soon be Boxing Day. More memories to be banked.

#35 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

A few more memories I would love to revisit at POR and enjoy the full game on DVD -
A very young Steve Evans coming on late as sub. ( v. Wakey ? Early 80s ) beating many players to score the winning try
Steve Hankins playing for Dewsbury - totally loosing it and getting sent off. We signed him shortly after.
Micky Gibbons going in from about 30 yards out ( v. Widnes ?) he just kept going and going taking players over with him. He came out of the shadow of Thompson etc after that.
Quite interesting really - this thread has really got the memories and juices flowing. There's a lot of noise and a faster pace of change than we have probably experienced before at Rovers. However as it's been stated before - all part of the rollercoaster that is rovers. Soon be Boxing Day. More memories to be banked.

I think the Steve Evans try was the year of the players strike, the 1977/78 season. if not it was the relegation year 78/79.

My memory of a marvellous Steve Evans try was on Boxing Day 1980 v Leeds at Headingley, He went the length of the field leaving Neil Hague in his wake to score the only try in a really close encounter (something like 5-2, although that may have been the score in the 82/83 season) only to puke up his Christmas festivities just after touching down.

To me Steve Evans could have been a legend of the game, he had pace, power, a great pair of hands, a step, could play anywhere in the backs, could kick goals, I just felt that he never quite achieved the zenith, maybe perhaps the fact that GB were a poor team then, maybe his big money move to Hull where he was a medium suzed fush in a large pond. I'd be interested to hear other views about him.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 22 December 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#36 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

I would love 2 games, both against Australia 1959 and 1963. Don Fox at his best.

#37 chappy9

chappy9
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

83 was there that day amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 genesis

genesis
  • Coach
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

If I could have a dream tape it would be Stevie Nash  or Brendon T

#39 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

My memory of a marvellous Steve Evans try was on Boxing Day 1980 v Leeds at Headingley, He went the length of the field leaving Neil Hague in his wake to score the only try in a really close encounter (something like 5-2, although that may have been the score in the 82/83 season) only to puke up his Christmas festivities just after touching down.

To me Steve Evans could have been a legend of the game, he had pace, power, a great pair of hands, a step, could play anywhere in the backs, could kick goals, I just felt that he never quite achieved the zenith, maybe perhaps the fact that GB were a poor team then, maybe his big money move to Hull where he was a medium suzed fush in a large pond. I'd be interested to hear other views about him.

It was indeed 5-2 to Fev in that 1980 Boxing Day game. If it's the game I'm thinking of, I was sitting behind the dugouts and remember the Leeds fans giving coach Sid Hynes some fearful barracking because one of his players had been getting treatment in the snowy conditions for about 5 minutes and Hynes hadn't ventured out to see if he was ok, eventually he did so and got even more catcalls. Think Leeds were going through a rough period at the time, they still had the likes of Atkinson, Dyl, Ward, Pitchford, Cookson and Eccles but a lot of them were near retirement.

I might be getting my games mixed up but I also remember another low-scoring game at Leeds (probably a year or two before) where Dave Vickers had his career-best performance by a country mile and tore them apart. Not sure he ever came close to it before or after.

Steve Evans was one of the most naturally gifted players of his generation. If he lacked anything it was probably a bit of "mongrel", but he was so exciting to watch, he came along at around the same time as John Gilbert and in seven or eight years watching Fev prior to that I'd never seen that sort of raw talent from any of our threequarters (despite that amazing Mick Smith Wembley try).

#40 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

It was indeed 5-2 to Fev in that 1980 Boxing Day game. If it's the game I'm thinking of, I was sitting behind the dugouts and remember the Leeds fans giving coach Sid Hynes some fearful barracking because one of his players had been getting treatment in the snowy conditions for about 5 minutes and Hynes hadn't ventured out to see if he was ok, eventually he did so and got even more catcalls. Think Leeds were going through a rough period at the time, they still had the likes of Atkinson, Dyl, Ward, Pitchford, Cookson and Eccles but a lot of them were near retirement.

I might be getting my games mixed up but I also remember another low-scoring game at Leeds (probably a year or two before) where Dave Vickers had his career-best performance by a country mile and tore them apart. Not sure he ever came close to it before or after.

Steve Evans was one of the most naturally gifted players of his generation. If he lacked anything it was probably a bit of "mongrel", but he was so exciting to watch, he came along at around the same time as John Gilbert and in seven or eight years watching Fev prior to that I'd never seen that sort of raw talent from any of our threequarters (despite that amazing Mick Smith Wembley try).

was that dave vickers game on grandstand?

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users