League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Which classic Fev game do you wish was available on DVD?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

I think the Steve Evans try was the year of the players strike, the 1977/78 season. if not it was the relegation year 78/79.

My memory of a marvellous Steve Evans try was on Boxing Day 1980 v Leeds at Headingley, He went the length of the field leaving Neil Hague in his wake to score the only try in a really close encounter (something like 5-2, although that may have been the score in the 82/83 season) only to puke up his Christmas festivities just after touching down.

To me Steve Evans could have been a legend of the game, he had pace, power, a great pair of hands, a step, could play anywhere in the backs, could kick goals, I just felt that he never quite achieved the zenith, maybe perhaps the fact that GB were a poor team then, maybe his big money move to Hull where he was a medium suzed fush in a large pond. I'd be interested to hear other views about him.

Remember that try well Andrew. Lived in Leeds at the time. He made quite a few breaks that day. A class player. I reminded him of that try recently and he couldn't remember it. I also remember him scoring a try off the left wing against Australia when they were truly great. In my opinion he was one of the best. He often said thast when he played against us for Hull especially in 83 his heart wasn't really in it to beat his old team. But he was good. Later on we did quite a lot of work together for the Fev Charity. He organised the golf tournaments. Always a Fev lad in reality.

#42 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

was that dave vickers game on grandstand?

Not that I can remember.

#43 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

There was a game on granstand I think it may have been the year Rovers got relegated 78/79 or the year before. They played either Salford or St. Helens and lost 19-20 I think. I vaguely recall Steve Evans punching the air to the Rovers fans as he put them into the lead early in the second half. Old Rover, I think Dave Vickers featured in that game.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 22 December 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#44 sandalrover

sandalrover
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think it's safe to say Steve Evans had something special.
His entry to the pro game was certainly with a bang. We often remember and recall on this forum all the ex Rovers who return to haunt us, however I feel there are just as many who never reach the heights they do at Rovers (just my opinion) .
I feel we definitely saw the best of Steve. As mentioned via an earlier post - as a very young man in a weakish GB team he was more than a handful for an amazing Aussie team.
The memories fade as the years go by however we all remember his amazing Boxing Day performance at Leeds, made all the more remarkable by the "stories" circulating at the time of him being out on the town the evening before and viciously hung over during the game.
It never really tallied with the polite young man off the field and the genius on it in his younger years.
I agree with AV - could have been a legend of the game. Still a rovers legend for me. Although they both wore the same shirt in different generations an Evans / Newlove centre partnership would have been a bit special.

#45 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Just been reading about Steve Evans on the hateful Wikipedia site. Whichever clown did his bio says that he was a Rugby League star of the 60s 70s and 80s. He must have been a star at a young age as someone said because he was born in 1960.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 22 December 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#46 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:18 AM

There was a game on granstand I think it may have been the year Rovers got relegated 78/79 or the year before. They played either Salford or St. Helens and lost 19-20 I think. I vaguely recall Steve Evans punching the air to the Rovers fans as he put them into the lead early in the second half. Old Rover, I think Dave Vickers featured in that game.

It was Saints away i remember it well, im sure Quinny had a kick from the touchline late on to win us the game and missed

#47 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

Going back to the very early days one of my all time greats was Eric Batten. I remember him jumping over players including Altass of the Rovers and the try he scored in the 52 final. He was the fittest of the fit. Ialso remember him being faced as a Rovers player with two players. Batten of course was a winger. He was faced with the opposing centre and wingman. He did something I have never seen since. He turned and ran in the same direction as the opposition staying in between the centre and the winger. That meant the centre couldn't pass to the winger. He then reached backwards from his central position and tackled the centre with his right hand whilst shielding that player from passing he ball. Slowing the two down also enabled the cover to get over and help him finalise his efforts. Memory seems to be not always with me but Tuss Griffiths comes to mind in the season that Doncaster borrowed a lot of players and were high up the league. Tuss thought he was through but the legendry Batten shoulder charge flattened him .Those were the days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users