Academy matches on sky sports

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Bit bored and thought I'd ask if people can remember the academy matches on a Sunday morning on sky sports and if anybody knows why they ended? I always loved watching these matches and looking for the next big stars.

#2 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Not sure why they ended, but there is a big danger in showcasing young talent for all to see when these stars of tomorrow are yet to be tied down on a decent contract.

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

yeah i have memory of this.. not sure it lasted for a season even. Think it was one of those things SKY started showing mid season, but by the end of the season they'd stopped showing it.. well thats my recollection of it anyway. Seem to remember seeing BJ Mather play for Wigan in the academy.. and bizarrely Sam Panapa (i think returning from injury).

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

yeah i have memory of this.. not sure it lasted for a season even. Think it was one of those things SKY started showing mid season, but by the end of the season they'd stopped showing it.. well thats my recollection of it anyway. Seem to remember seeing BJ Mather play for Wigan in the academy.. and bizarrely Sam Panapa (i think returning from injury).

I can remember seeing Paul Anderson(with hair) playing for Leeds but I can't believe they would allow Sam panapa to play against 17 and 18 year olds. I think they showed the matches in the early 90's then they stopped only to reappear in the late 90's.

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

Love to see sky sports bring back these matches as I believe the Toyota cup u20's league in the NRL is a big thing audience wise and are even shown live.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

These were on during SL - it was when a televised game would put an Academy game as a curtain raiser. The cameras were there anyway so televised this.

#7 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

I remember them been on circa 2001 as that was when my brother played in the academy and he was on TV. I also remember seeing a number of players like Maguire, Burrow, O'Loughlin and Hock during that time too. It used to be on on Tuesday nights as like an hour long programme.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

As we can all remember them being on at different random times let's just assume it was filler for Sky without any real reason for being there

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

I have a vague memory of it in the late 90s - back then it was on Tuesday evenings, and was usually the academies of either the live Friday or Sunday (as it was) match. It was only a 60 minutes show - including ads. It was on all season on that occasion, but I remember it just not coming back one year. I think it actually was on for a couple of years at least.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#10 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

it was good to see, hull fc at the boulevard was always shown

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Sky ran Academy games from April 1998 to September 2002.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

certainly were some good games  . I recorded a number of them on video  then of course transferred em to dvd 

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'd like to see that back on TV.  I understand the NRL juniors are on TV and it's popular to watch.

#14 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

When I played for oldham academy in the 93/94 season, we were supposed to play a curtain raiser at St. Helens to be televised by sky, but it rained too much and our game got cancelled! Gutted was not the word!

#15 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Sure I can remember Lee Briers playing for St Helens.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#16 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Cunningham played against us that day,

#17 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

Was on telly for quite a few of these!

They were a great idea. There was one at Headingley, Leeds v Bradford I think, and the gates were locked well before the final hooter as the place was full. I think there were over 20k in and it was fantastic for the young lads to play in that atmosphere.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users