Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Potential New Lions Den?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

Here's hoping.

1505535_668738879815258_311442790_n.jpg

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#2 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

Looks better than whitebank already

#3 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I played on that pitch well over 50 years ago for Crommy against Moorside. We won but got well beaten by Ambrose at Station Road.

:yahoo:

#4 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

I scored the winning goal in a 2-1 victory for Moorside against Ambrose on there in 1980. A delightful chip from the edge of the box.

#5 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Here's hoping.

[img=https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1505535_668738879815258_311442790
That would be the perfect venue for a new stadium.I could start off at the Farmers or the White Lion for some pre match refreshments and head back that way after a match for a few more refreshments at a local hostelry and round off the day with a lovely,beautiful kebab before going home.

#6 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

Here's hoping.

1505535_668738879815258_311442790_n.jpg

As far as I can see, the whole field is surrounded by fences and a high wall. So how on earth did you get your picture Phill? Are you keeping it quite about you having been in the Royal Marine Commandos and as such little walls like this are kids' stuff? Come on Phill, spill the beans.

:sungum:

#7 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

As far as I can see, the whole field is surrounded by fences and a high wall. So how on earth did you get your picture Phill? Are you keeping it quite about you having been in the Royal Marine Commandos and as such little walls like this are kids' stuff? Come on Phill, spill the beans.

:sungum:

Found an alternative use for the wall; as a tripod for a DSLR.  Its easy enough to reach the top of it when you're 6'3".  I wonder what the people who built that wall would have made of the modern day digital camera technology and the ability to share its images on the internet within a few minutes - quite mind blowing probably!

#8 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

That would be the perfect venue for a new stadium.I could start off at the Farmers or the White Lion for some pre match refreshments and head back that way after a match for a few more refreshments at a local hostelry and round off the day with a lovely,beautiful kebab before going home.

Not to mention all the much more important potential benefits of having a new home for the Lions on that site (inclusive of; economic, improvement of the environment, an ideal location for educational outreach work, a boost to the entire town's sense of civic pride and identity, opportunities for future generations and families, attraction of grant funding into the area rather than having it go into other council areas, proximity to major public transport routes for green travel, provision of badly needed accessible facilities to local businesses, and more).

We would not wish to paint the spectacle of a Swinton Lions match as being nothing more than a large scale booze up, especially not at this critical stage in the process, and provide any knockers of the scheme with easy ammunition to that effect, would we now??

Ahem.

#9 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

Some would argue (with some justification perhaps) that the shenanigans surrounding the running of this once great club would indeed drive its faithful fans to the odd glass or two...Ill get my coat Phill! Ahem...Have a good Christmas and a exciting new year...I Hope!

#10 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

...proximity to major public transport routes for green travel.

Public transport for a stadium in Agecroft was almost non existent - the 484 only running Monday- Saturday during daytime or a 10-15 minute walk from the top road after alighting from the No. 8.

Whereas off Stanwell Road it's great for all buses along Chorley Road (12, 25, 26, 36, 37) and Partington Lane (22) plus Swinton railway station is nearby.

BRING IT ON!

:yahoo:

#11 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

I believe today is the good Doctors birthday,wouldn't do any harm to send him our good wishes

#12 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Not to mention all the much more important potential benefits of having a new home for the Lions on that site (inclusive of; economic, improvement of the environment, an ideal location for educational outreach work, a boost to the entire town's sense of civic pride and identity, opportunities for future generations and families, attraction of grant funding into the area rather than having it go into other council areas, proximity to major public transport routes for green travel, provision of badly needed accessible facilities to local businesses, and more).

We would not wish to paint the spectacle of a Swinton Lions match as being nothing more than a large scale booze up, especially not at this critical stage in the process, and provide any knockers of the scheme with easy ammunition to that effect, would we now??

Ahem.

The benefits of having a new stadium here are immense and I think that all local businesses would get a nice timely boost,including local pubs and take aways.I think that this new stadium and the relevant spin offs would bring a few jobs and investment which the area desperately needs.

#13 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

The benefits of having a new stadium here are immense and I think that all local businesses would get a nice timely boost,including local pubs and take aways.I think that this new stadium and the relevant spin offs would bring a few jobs and investment which the area desperately needs.

Especially as it will have 2 teams resident there before long, no doubt?

#14 Bucko

Bucko
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Is this the Ambrose playing fields, behind the town hall? Just over the road from the old Chorley Road ground and close to the White Lion?
That would be perfect!
Has anyone considered informing the Kelner brothers, Simon and Martin as they are both respected journalists and they follow the Lions.
Also, we should get Ryan Giggs on board as he is proud of Swinton and his dad was the best player that I saw in my forty odd years watching the Lions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users