Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Friendly confirmed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

Against Wigan on the 26th of jan

Edited by scott, 19 December 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Good news , at our place to , even better . Not one for going to friendlies but I'll go and see that one for sure . Hopefully this is part of something bigger

#3 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Well we are only going to make very little out of it and why risk our players close to the start of the season! No prizes for guessing where that came from!

#4 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Apparently were dreaming if we think we can get a good crowd for this too, the bitterness is just lovely.

#5 Ruby

Ruby
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Apparently were dreaming if we think we can get a good crowd for this too, the bitterness is just lovely.

Not bitterness at all. Was meant to be CUMBRIA v Wigan but only Town were interested. Why would we be bitter when we rejected the offer

#6 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

How does anyone know how the proceeds will be split?

And I've heard that Barrow pulled out because they wanted the game down there and Wigan wanted to play in west Cumbria, and Whitehaven pulled out because their ground isn't capable of handling the number spectators that could potentially attend the game. Just because Haven hardly get any people for a pre-season game against Leeds reserves (or for any other game than Workington) doesn't mean Town won't get many for a game against Wigan FIRST TEAM.

#7 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Not bitterness at all. Was meant to be CUMBRIA v Wigan but only Town were interested. Why would we be bitter when we rejected the offer

hi ruby, apparently you pulled out coz wigan wanted too big a share of the gate.

#8 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

Them grapes must be sour down in Whitehaven.

If it was to have been a Cumbria team, Haven wouldn't have had many playing anyway, as they haven't that many Cumbrians signed on!!!

Excellent effort by the BOD to secure a friendly at home against the Superleague champions and Challenge Cup winners.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#9 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

Well I'd be amazed if we got anything less than 50/50 and on a big gate that's a hell of a lot of money

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yeh no reason why it wouldn't be a straight split , and there'll be a good turnout . Why would you reject a blue chip friendly like this ?

#11 Bearintown

Bearintown
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

No joint team shows how much the people in control think of a merger happening any time soon??

#12 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

By the sound of it town were up for it but none of the others. Are both other clubs arrogant enough to still think they can seriously progress on their own when they've gone bust (or almost bust In barrows case) trying to do it before?! Utter madness - or deluded stupidity

Edited by GeordieTownie, 19 December 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#13 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Who cares about the other 2 teams. Town are my only interest and town are playing the best team in the country which will feature some big names. Excellant job town, and maybe forge a friendship that will allow some loans to come up here.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#14 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

As someone said if Haven ain't got many Cumbrians playing and Barrow won't consider West Cumbria then it has to be Town.
I'd be all in favour of Cumbria and lets see what legacy the World Cup left. However, for me, Cumbria wouldn't include those from outside the county and PNG players (plus Stack for balance on this post).
Cumbria used to get a fixture every year, no need to stop now.

#15 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

http://www.wiganwarr...?id=8921&type=1

Looks like we will be seeing a strong Wigan side.

#16 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Shaun Wane on Radio Cumbria tonight said it would be a strong squad
Its 12 days to their first SL game
I think he's looking for a physical game after his comments tonight
Wane knows he has a massive challenge with Huddersfield in their first SL game, then Down Under to first game with the Warriors (against Tomkins) then the Roosters in the World Cup Challenge, then back home to SL.
No way will he sending under 17's and under 19's with that schedule.
Barrow and Haven have missed a trick.....game on

#17 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Following those BRILLIANT games at DP in the world cup there will be a fair few indeed who will fancy this game. I have already been approached by a few of them who are only very occasional RL fans but really fancy it so could indeed be a big crowd!

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

Fingers crossed for the weather . Little bit of help from that front and a big crowd is on , it's getting folk talking is this

#19 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

GeordieTownie we managed fine on our own?

Edited by raiders96, 21 December 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#20 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Not really. DJ's money won u nothing and was unsustainable so how can you say you did fine? Would've gone bust had it not been for his input so if hardly say that was fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users