Friendly confirmed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#21 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

DJs money did win them the grand final but they now have massive debts which have to be paid back in lump sums over 10yrs, I can't understand them turning down a bit of extra cash. I heard that they were suppose to play us in a pre season game on a friday night but pulled out because there wasn't enough financial gain in it for them. I find that a bit rich seen as we have trailed down there for the past few years, I don't suppose we made a fortune out of that, but at the end of the day it's a good hit up for the players before the season starts.
It'a Barrow and haven's loss IMO there is massive interest in this game already from people whe aren't regular Town followers.

#22 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

got relegated after having points taking off us, came straight back up the following season with barely any money making a grand final appearance, might have struggled this season but we stayed up.. yes were fine. And I cant see how were "arrogant" because we wont come up and play a FRIENDLY against Wigan as how does it benefit us? We've got a lot of new players and we need to gel together as a team so what good would it be having a few players going up there to play a friendly?

#23 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

No doubt the Haven and Barrow players would have loved to represent Cumbria given the chance.

And the game is a testimonial match for a lad that has had to retire from the game due to injury.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#24 Penno

Penno
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Slightly lost why some are choosing to slag off Barrow for not wanting to have some of their players take part in a pre season friendly against a Wigan side. Pre season friendlies are surely to allow the new coach to look at his new squad in an actual game. Who would coach a Cumbria side? How many of the Barrow squad would be on the field together? After travel costs how much would we make? Add to this possible injuries from playing a game where I can't see any benefits for Barrow? After the season would be a time to have a Cumbria side match against an SL team not before.

Good luck to Town in this game it will be a great pre season friendly for you, I hope that you great game and gate.

Edited by Penno, 22 December 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#25 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Gotta agree with that . It is pointless . Barrow can do as they please , and we don't know the details of what did or didn't go on behind the scenes . We have a good game to concentrate on and Barrow likewise have their own preparations . I for one think they've done great to maintain their status with what they have , and I wish them well this year . Unlike another mob I could mention !!

#26 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thanks David .. the voice of reason

We don't know the facts about the so called Friday eve friendly or the proposed Cumbria v Wigan now Town v Wigan scenarios.

I for one would've come up for the Friday friendly or indeed the Cumbria v Wigan game.

Good luck to Town for the coming season .. hoping all 3 Cumbrian clubs have a decent season but its going to be another tough one im sure with lots of twists and turns

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#27 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Gonna be tough alright . Even tougher than last year , totally cutthroat with the trapdoor waiting for failure ... and by failure I mean 10 th !!! It's the league to watch , great viewing , good standard , totally competitive every week every where . No bad teams ... So obviously it should be scrapped

#28 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

As a rugby league fan I'm quite excited to see what Murray has put together this year to be honest at craven park!
Hopefully a tasty crowd of 1500-2000 will bring on some revenue for the hard season ahead,
up the town and vinny Anderson and jake emmit and whoever else we are signing tomorrow up the town

#29 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

As a rugby league fan I'm quite excited to see what Murray has put together this year to be honest at craven park!
Hopefully a tasty crowd of 1500-2000 will bring on some revenue for the hard season ahead,
up the town and vinny Anderson and jake emmit and whoever else we are signing tomorrow up the town

Either you have inside info on signings or your on the sherry early this Xmas Havenhater!?
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#30 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

I presume the idea of a Cumbria team was to gather support from all 3 clubs and possibly put out a strong team of local lads. However, I can see why the other 2 clubs wouldn't want to have just 4 or 5 of their players playing in such a game. If there is to be a partnership with Wigan then it makes sense to make the game Town v Wigan. Whatever let's just look forward to it and rally some of those lost fans back to DP.

Bit of wishful thinking with the names havenhater or are you in the know?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#31 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Merely enjoying the festive period whilst also making fun of posts regarding those names in the past mentioned!! We will be ok be I keep telling myself "the news and star tomorrow" will see us right, that crack amuses me.

#32 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm sure in good time the N&S will have plenty to announce with superleague links, signings and long term loans. All good things to those wait and all that.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#33 Ruby

Ruby
  • Coach
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

How does anyone know how the proceeds will be split?

And I've heard that Barrow pulled out because they wanted the game down there and Wigan wanted to play in west Cumbria, and Whitehaven pulled out because their ground isn't capable of handling the number spectators that could potentially attend the game. Just because Haven hardly get any people for a pre-season game against Leeds reserves (or for any other game than Workington) doesn't mean Town won't get many for a game against Wigan FIRST TEAM.

Are you that numb that you believe the will send the FIRST TEAM ?? you are correct that not many attended the Leeds game because we all knew it would be a 2nd string team even though they promised a full team. and as for crowds you only get a decent crown when you play Haven. Think you need to grow up and talk sense

#34 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Ah, personal abuse from one of our resident bitters. Hardly surprising, must be really hurting seeing the massive crowds at our ground during the world cup, which you missed out on. Let's just wait and see what the team they put out is, whatever it is I expect it to be played in front of a very good crowd.

#35 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Are you that numb that you believe the will send the FIRST TEAM ?? you are correct that not many attended the Leeds game because we all knew it would be a 2nd string team even though they promised a full team. and as for crowds you only get a decent crown when you play Haven. Think you need to grow up and talk sense

I would say that there is a good chance that their team will consist of first team squad number players seeing as their Under 20's are playing London Skolars  two days earlier.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#36 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

And in wanes own words:

"I will be eager to see the shape of the First Team squad after the demanding and challenging pre-season training schedule that they are currently being put through. It will also give me one of the first chances to see some of the new exciting signings the Club has made since the end of last season"

#37 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

I take it you haven't read the info about the match on Wigan's website......

Wigan Warriors today announce that forward Paul Prescott has been granted a twelve month Testimonial with the Club by the RFL.

Paul joined Wigan at the age of 14 and came through the successful Academy grades to establish himself a regular in the First Team. Paul made his debut in July 2004 off the bench against Castleford and went on to make over 140 appearances before being forced to announce his retirement in 2013 due to a persistent back injury. Paul is still involved with the Club and in 2014 he will have earned recognition for ten year service. The highlights of his playing career include a Grand Final ring in 2010 and a Challenge Cup winning medal in 2011.

As part of the year-long celebration a Testimonial Match has been arranged for Paul on Sunday 26th January against Workington Town, the fixture will take place at Derwent Park and will have a 3pm kick off. The game takes place with less than two weeks before the start of the Warriors Super League campaign and Head Coach Shaun Wane is expected to field a strong First Team line-up for the clash.

Speaking about the Testimonial Year Paul said;

"To be awarded a Testimonial is a huge achievement in itself but to do it after 10 seasons at the most famous Rugby League club in the world is something that fills me with immense pride. I have to thank Wigan Warriors for the support they have given the Testimonial Committee in making it happen and the Committee Members themselves for their tireless work so far.

"Staging the Testimonial Match in Workington is an exciting prospect given the obvious strong interest in Rugby League in the area. Since negotiations began in October, Derwent Park has shown in the two World Cup games staged there that it is a facility more than capable of providing high class, atmospheric spectacles. I'm looking forward to being a part of a great occasion and in particular as an ex-player and avid supporter of Wigan Warriors, to seeing how the exciting new additions to the squad fit into the team for the defence of the Challenge Cup and Super League titles."

Wigan Warriors Rugby Manager, Kris Radlinski paid tribute to Paul's achievements as a player adding;

"We are delighted to be supporting Paul in his Testimonial year. Paul has been pivotal to the Club success in recent seasons, driving standards and culture around our Training Centre. For years he has taken his body to places that the body was not created for in pursuit of reaching his goals. He has lived out his boyhood dream by representing his hometown Club and won trophies along the way.

"By taking his Testimonial game to West Cumbria, we are entering a true Rugby League heartland and with the promise of a full strength Wigan team, we hope that Workington fans and Rugby League fans in general will come to support Paul and the reigning Super League Champions. It should be a great way to start 2014 as we build towards the start of the season and our World Club Challenge fixture in Sydney."

Wigan Coach Shaun Wane commented;

"I take a lot of pleasure in seeing Paul rightly awarded with a testimonial for his service to Wigan Warriors.

"The testimonial match against Workington is also a fundamental part of our preparation for the start of Super League and the forthcoming World Cup Challenge match in Australia.

"I will be eager to see the shape of the First Team squad after the demanding and challenging pre-season training schedule that they are currently being put through. It will also give me one of the first chances to see some of the new exciting signings the Club has made since the end of last season.

"It's been an absolute pleasure working with Paul. I would love for us all to get behind Paul's game and get up to Cumbria to support our team in great numbers."

Read more at http://www.wiganwarr...HHwKxUOoG883.99

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#38 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

And it'll be a very good team as it's for a testimonial so they're hardly going to let their own player down by sending a poor side.

You just concentrate on preventing the green eyed monster from completely consuming you.

As for gates, we got a decent one against Widnes in the 5th round of the challenge cup. Can't think who we knocked out to get there. Hahahahahahahahaha

#39 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yet again top class players will be playing at DP thanks to copeland. Nah otto I guess ruby didn't read that before posting that comment lol. You can always rely on them for a laugh. They rubbished the RLWC and look at the crowds and now they are trying it again.

Edited by town4me, 22 December 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#40 casablanca

casablanca
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Wigan Head Coach makes clear his intentions for the match https://audioboo.fm/...ent=retweet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users