Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Liam Finn signs for...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

...Castleford, according to Radio 5.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Yeah. He left Fev yesterday and is linking up again with DP.

Personally I feel Liam's had a fantastic four years at Fev, a part of the Fevolution that's happened at the club.

But we're starting a new phase with a new coach and at 30 it's time for him to move on.

Best of luck to him in the future, he's a gent off the field, and onfield controls the game better than anyone outside SL with his brains and his kicking game.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#3 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Start of a new era at Rovers.......and hopefully more success........Good luck Liam Finn and thanks for the last 4 years

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#4 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Seems an odd move. If he's good enough for Cas, isn't he good enough for Fev? Was it that he wanted to go to Cas, and so Fev released him?

The way it came out, Fev got rid of Finn & Lamont Bryan. Cas have then picked up Finn.

Curious.

#5 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

He's been great for Fev, and has my best wishes as he moves on. Whilst on the outside it does seem strange that a player is deemed unsuitable for the Championships and suitable for SL, I can kind of see sense in it.

It seems fairly well known that Finny didn't appear to be in John Bastian's plans for next year. In some ways, this seems strange, as he is one of the best, if not the best player in the division at scrum half. He is however 30, and if we're looking to build a team that could move to full time and progress to be playing at a higher level in the 2016 season I can see the logic in getting a younger player who will develop, rather than one who is thereabouts at his peak at present and likely to be on his way down performance wise by then. Whether this logic works, only time will tell.

Finny also wants to have another go at SL. I get the impression he'd have liked to achieved that with Fev, but once it became apparent that wasn't likely to happen, he gets an offer from his old mentor in Daryl Powell so off to Cas he goes. Good luck to the lad, he deserves a shot at a higher level and I hope he gets a fair go at it.

That's my interpretation at least!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#6 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

I got the feeling a few months goo that this might happen.

Great to have him on board - be interesting to see how he goes...

Good luck to Liam

#7 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

will get hammered in SL, one off games are ok but week in week out you will see why no other top flight club has signed him in the previous years in the championships.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#8 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

will get hammered in SL, one off games are ok but week in week out you will see why no other top flight club has signed him in the previous years in the championships.

Sadly, I suspect you are right.

Liam has been fantastic for us these last few seasons, but I've always thought he lacked a yard of pace even at Championship level. 

Still, good luck to the lad.

#9 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Think he'll struggle to get a half back spot but wouldn't be surprised if DP uses him as a hooker to back up clark n milner.

Strength in depth at cas is a first for me!
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#10 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Sounds similar to Chris Hill.

#11 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

Bit wierd that 3 players leave now at the start of pre season period in an important phase for the season. Finn is quality and Bryant also is not a bad player. If fev didnt want then why wait til now? Strange time and wonder if there has been a fall out between some players and the new coach. 

#12 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Bit wierd that 3 players leave now at the start of pre season period in an important phase for the season. Finn is quality and Bryant also is not a bad player. If fev didnt want then why wait til now? Strange time and wonder if there has been a fall out between some players and the new coach. 

Perfectly understandable to me given the circumstances and the number of players signed on. Finn was never going to be first choice once we'd signed Moore, so no great surprise to see him leave. A little surprised to see him go to Cas, but I think he deserves another shot at SL given he's up there with the best in the Championship for so long. Lamont Bryan had good spells last year, but always looked overweight and was rumoured to not work as hard on his fitness in training as required. New coach may have seen that and decided to let him go. Jonny Hepworth struggled with an on/off back injury all last year. He's retired due to it, so I would suspect he's had problems in pre-season training. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more go yet or into the new season, as we're not going to keep the whole squad happy when they're not playing.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#13 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

He started slowing down. Got to admitt though, he has been a great tactical mind for rovers. This year however he showed how sluggish he can be.

#14 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Not really

Hepworth retired due to a prolapsed disc in his back that has flared up again in pre-season. He'd been struggling all last year with it.

Finn was always leaving, Bastian sees Moore as his long term successor.  The timing coincides with the end of his testimonial 1/2 year.

Lamont was good in patches, but was clearly not at the required fitness level, I guess Bastian saw no improvement in his effort and decided to get shut.  Either that or Lamont wanted to move back down south, where his family live.  Don't be suprised if he signs for Skolars or Hemel.

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Perfectly understandable to me given the circumstances and the number of players signed on. Finn was never going to be first choice once we'd signed Moore, so no great surprise to see him leave. A little surprised to see him go to Cas, but I think he deserves another shot at SL given he's up there with the best in the Championship for so long. Lamont Bryan had good spells last year, but always looked overweight and was rumoured to not work as hard on his fitness in training as required. New coach may have seen that and decided to let him go. Jonny Hepworth struggled with an on/off back injury all last year. He's retired due to it, so I would suspect he's had problems in pre-season training. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more go yet or into the new season, as we're not going to keep the whole squad happy when they're not playing.

Quite.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users