Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who was the best of those who never quite made it.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 STEVE P

STEVE P
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Something BSJ said earlier on the thread about Liam Finn had me wondering about those who may have been good enough to make it in SL, but for one reason or another never got the chance to try.

Who do you think was the best player in the SL age to never get the opportunity to play at the top level?

I reckon Richard Chapman has to be a contender.

#2 Shipley Ram

Shipley Ram
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Chappy played in the top division with Sheffield. Not sure how many games though
RUGBY LEAGUE IS MY RELIGION.
CROWN FLATT IS MY CHURCH.

#3 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Mick Nanyn signed on with harlequins but never played a SL game. Or how about Yere ?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#4 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

One player that I think would have made it if given a chance was Bryn Powell, but to drop into championship as'nt done some players any harm ie Chris Hill, England. Did chappy play in super league?!!

#5 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

One player that I think would have made it if given a chance was Bryn Powell, but to drop into championship as'nt done some players any harm ie Chris Hill, England. Did chappy play in super league?!!

I thought Bryn Powell played for Salford in Super League. Correct me if I'm wrong!

#6 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:05 AM

Don't think he played a super league game but I'm not 100% certain

#7 Shipley Ram

Shipley Ram
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Think he played a few Stones Bitter Championship games

#8 Shipley Ram

Shipley Ram
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Think he played a few Stones Bitter Championship games

#9 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

Powell started in the pro game at least two or three years after the Stones Bitter Championship was dissolved.

Posted Image

#10 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

If you are on about Dewsbury players only, I thought Darren Rogers never really scaled the heights he could have done, and the same with Dennis Bailey. Also remember Gary Cocks being a real tough character that would have done a job at a higher level (not sure he ever did but correct me if im wrong).

One of the biggest waste of talent ive ever seen in the game though was Shayne Williams, the guy had it all but for whatever reasons never fulfilled his undoubted potential.

Edited by buford t justice, 20 December 2013 - 01:18 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Well Rogers had plenty of opportunities with both Salford and Castleford so wouldn't meet the "never given a chance" category. Gary Cocks came to Dewsbury from Wakefield where he had never really made the grade despite a number of opportunities, and before the SL era of course.

Shane Williams will join a very long list of players whose commitment never matched their ability. Training and conditioning were never his strong points I think you could say.

(Bryn Powell made one appearance and one as sub for Salford in 2004.)

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

Shayne Williams should have been an international. One of the most destructive runners I've ever seen at any level.

Edited by TheTerminator, 20 December 2013 - 02:13 PM.

Posted Image

#13 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Bostock would have played Super League if not for injuries.

Dean Lawford played some Super League with Widnes, Sheffield and Leeds but had the 'football' ability to be a top Super League player.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#14 Statto

Statto
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Dean Hall. Joined Dewsbury from Bradford and was an instant hit towards the end of the 1989/90 season. The fans in the open stand at the old Crown Flatt used to chant his name. Attracted a big money from another club. What happened next?

#15 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

Dean Hall. Joined Dewsbury from Bradford and was an instant hit towards the end of the 1989/90 season. The fans in the open stand at the old Crown Flatt used to chant his name. Attracted a big money from another club. What happened next?

Didn't he receive a sine die ban for serious foul play?

Posted Image

#16 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

Wasn't Lawford the first player to score a try in Super League?

#17 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Mark toohey if it wasnt for injury
Deano was the first british player to score in sl

#18 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

Marques Charles was a very talented player who I'm sure given the chance would have made it! I remember the time when we played fev & his mum ran on field with her brolly to hit Nadeola for flattening Marquis off the ball so funny!!!

#19 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 802 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Mark toohey if it wasnt for injury
Deano was the first british player to score in sl

to be fair mark were scouted by many a the top sl clubs when he were in the boys u14s/16s,but chose a batley shirt above some cracking offers.

#20 chappy9

chappy9
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Chappy played in the top division with Sheffield. Not sure how many games though

hi everyone hope your well played 5 big league games before super league came in and made my super league debut against workington scored 2 and got mom on the sunday tues turned down a contract that was rubish so got dropped week after which pi t me off really bad so i went to france in off season for 3 mounth then came back when david ward had signed me for fev 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users