Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SBW signs two-year NZ rugby union deal

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

http://au.sports.yah...-nz-rugby-deal/

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

As expected. Just in time for the RU world cup, although I didn't expect the Olympic 7's to be on his agenda. I think he may partake in the RL world cup in 2017 if it's hyped enough.

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,796 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

There's one sure-fire way to get under the skin of the TRL members and that's to put up a thread with the title "rugby" when you mean rugby union.  I'll change the title.

As we're absolutely not interested in rugby union posts on this main forum, please keep any replies to rugby league subjects only in this thread or they'll be deleted.  You'll just be wasting your time posting them...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

I'm not sure anyone will be surprised by SBW's decision really.  I'm not anyway.  He's just in it for fame and fortune IMO.  Glad he's gone as now we won't have all that nauseating hype about him (which I have to say made his gaff at Warrington all the more fun to watch!).

• ckn likes this

#5 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

This hasn't surprised me at all that the NZRU wanted to get this sorted asap. They want every journalist to write "before his return to RU in 2015" in most stories concerning SBW next year. Saying that, RL should be pleased that he enjoys the game enough to commit to 2 seasons and, as mentioned, it seems a logical hop at 30/31 to come back to RL for the WC in his native NZ (and Aus) in 2017.

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

This hasn't surprised me at all that the NZRU wanted to get this sorted asap. They want every journalist to write "before his return to RU in 2015" in most stories concerning SBW next year. Saying that, RL should be pleased that he enjoys the game enough to commit to 2 seasons and, as mentioned, it seems a logical hop at 30/31 to come back to RL for the WC in his native NZ (and Aus) in 2017.

I hope his native NZ (and Aus) tell him to boogy off if he does think of returning for 2017.

#7 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

There's one sure-fire way to get under the skin of the TRL members and that's to put up a thread with the title "rugby" when you mean rugby union.  I'll change the title.

As we're absolutely not interested in rugby union posts on this main forum, please keep any replies to rugby league subjects only in this thread or they'll be deleted.  You'll just be wasting your time posting them...

I just post the title of the article mate I have no idea about "rugby" will upset any members but its your show man.

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,019 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

I'm not sure anyone will be surprised by SBW's decision really.  I'm not anyway.  He's just in it for fame and fortune IMO.  Glad he's gone as now we won't have all that nauseating hype about him (which I have to say made his gaff at Warrington all the more fun to watch!).

He's just in it for fame and fortune IMO

The unprincipled swine!!!  This is rugby league and we don't want any of that fame and fortune stuff!!    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

#9 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

I hope his native NZ (and Aus) tell him to boogy off if he does think of returning for 2017.

Why?
Did iestyn harris get told where to go or pryce etc?

#10 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

The Olympics thing is interesting. I'd imagine most sports people would love a chance to partake in an Olympic Games....wonder if this will tempt any other league players to switch codes?

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

The Olympics thing is interesting. I'd imagine most sports people would love a chance to partake in an Olympic Games....wonder if this will tempt any other league players to switch codes?

Do you have to switch codes to compete in the 7's Olympic team? Who picks the squads also ect? I would imagine Tomkins would be better than pretty much every English RU player at 7's. Even the likes of Keiron Dixon and Kallum Watkins would probably be a good shout aswell.

#12 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Seems a strange thing to say. He is one of the best RL players on the planet. Why wouldn't we want him playing in our game? What is the difference between SBW and an entertainer who does acting, singing or dancing or a professional sports person who does cricket and football a la Ellyse Perry.

SBW has proved he can come back after a long break and be a superstar again within a few months.

Edited by Scubby, 19 December 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#13 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Do you have to switch codes to compete in the 7's Olympic team? Who picks the squads also ect? I would imagine Tomkins would be better than pretty much every English RU player at 7's. Even the likes of Keiron Dixon and Kallum Watkins would probably be a good shout aswell.

Not sure about that to be honest. Maybe you wouldn't have to change codes - would be interesting to find out

#14 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Phew! Thank goodness the integrity of the salary cap has been preserved. The possibility that a Super League club might sign him has been keeping me up at night.

The last thing we want in our sport is fame hungry 'stars' who are likely to attract outsiders to the sport.

Well done, rugby league. You've dodged yet another bullet!

#15 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Would England be entering a team as we enter Olympics as GB,
Would it be like football?

If GB enter a team theoretically they would need a GB free of union politics. ...and therefore why wouldn't they pick the best players possible...why would they ignore all the league talent when their remit would be to medal?

#16 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

Would England be entering a team as we enter Olympics as GB,
Would it be like football?

If GB enter a team theoretically they would need a GB free of union politics. ...and therefore why wouldn't they pick the best players possible...why would they ignore all the league talent when their remit would be to medal?

It'll be a GB team although i imagine no player from Northern Ireland will be considered, ultimately the team will be picked by the RFU/WRU/SRU. Any league player wanting to play will be told to sign for a union club.

#17 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Also won't the Olympics be right in the middle of the Super league and NRL season, can't see the clubs releasing players for a holiday to Rio

#18 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

He would be 32 come the next RLWC - challenging. Although his body would have had a 2 year holiday playing in the union backs.

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Seems a strange thing to say. He is one of the best RL players on the planet. Why wouldn't we want him playing in our game?

We need to have respect for our sport.  It was bad enough that some Kiwi bloke got dropped to make room for him in the Kiwi national side on the last minute but to make way for him yet again and when he's at the back end of his career would make our sport look positively desperate.

#20 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

We need to have respect for our sport. It was bad enough that some Kiwi bloke got dropped to make room for him in the Kiwi national side on the last minute but to make way for him yet again and when he's at the back end of his career would make our sport look positively desperate.

On a more positive note SBW will be chomping at the bit to get back to RL to play at a home WC....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users