SBW signs two-year NZ rugby union deal

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

The fact is that nowadays all coaches in all of the top union nations will have had some exposure to League skills, be that simply by studying League, or by being involved with other union teams that have had League input.  Although the AlI Blacks don't have a League coach, I am sure that their union coaches wrung every ounce of information they could from Brad Thorn on how League did things.  

I am also pretty positive that they will have attended League training sessions.  I remember as far back as the eighties that Hull KR (and possibly many more Leage clubs) opened their training sessions to union coaches.  Of course, this was pre-honest professionalism so was not widely publicised because, as we know, League was the devil back then (probably still is) and the reptiles that played it only did so for the money - they had no love or affinity for the actual sport itself, unlike their union counterparts who only played the game for its Corinthian values.

Haha, love the reference to reptiles, good old Dani Craven.

http://news.google.c...pg=3742,1444884

#102 Gosman

Gosman
  • Coach
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

Didn't Les Kiss ex North Sydney Bears give a few years service to SA Union as defensive coach or something like that?

1 down, 1 to go.

I'm sure we can find someone for NZ as well.

LOL

Not stating he hasn't been involved but do you have a link for that?

#103 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:26 AM

It was well known mate, been plenty of RL ppl go over to SA and bring them *up to spreed.

#104 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

http://www.irishrugb...oaches/4570.php

Les Kiss, a former Australian Kangaroos rugby league winger and a member of the undefeated 1986 Australian Kangaroos team that toured Great Britain and France, has made a successful transition to rugby union coaching since 2001 when he was recruited by South Africa as defence coach.

Edited by ParraEelsNRL, 07 January 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#105 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

A winger recruited as a defensive coach hahaa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users