Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Utopia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

Watch the ITV documentary, UTOPIA, by John Pilger about Australian aparteit behaviour and the racism that's growing in his native Country.

Just one remarkable fact from the documentary
In the last 5 years in Australia the arrest ratio of blacks to white is 8X that of South Africa during the height of the aparteit years.

Gut wrenching stuff that had me exclaiming at my TV in indignation.

#2 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

I didn't see the program, but that arrest ratio wouldn't surprise me.

I recall listening to an Aussie radio station. The subject was attitudes to Indigenous Australians in sport. One of the presenters mentioned that his daughters best friend happened to be Aboriginal. The friend - who was described as a nice young lady - had been stopped several times by Melbourne police, whereas his daughter had never suffered such an indignity.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#3 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

I've yet to see it either but when I was travelled in Australia on a working holiday visa, I was shocked at the position of Aboriginies in society and the apparent open racism that many will show towards them.

It's probably not as black and white as it seems though. Not long after arriving I got a job at the Perth show working on the dodgems. Next to me, one of my friends was working on the tipping point machines and before he started he was warned by his boss to look out for aboriginies. We were obviously appalled but when they opened just like he said, gangs of aboriginal teenagers would come and try to lift the machines to cheat; it was a problem throughout the two weeks. Working on the dodgems, I found many aboriginals aggressive and one cocked a fist to punch me for simply asking how old his child was (a toddler about 4 years too young for the minimum age.)

In many cities I found the aboriginies held this position in society, often congregating in gangs, drinking on the streets and intimidating people. In Cairns a man refused to let me walk home alone after a night out because he said I would definitely get mugged by them. My wife was chased down the road by some in a similar situation.

When I returned home, I tried to explain it to people and the only way I could describe it was that they occupy a similar place in society that Chavs do in our society. That's why I'd be reluctant to call it purely an issue of racism. Many people are scared of them and associate them with crime and anti-social behaviour much as people will do over here when talking about Chavs. In Australia it just happens to be associated with a race of people whereas over here it doesn't.

Of course the travesty is that they have ended up occupying that part of society in the first place. However, now that they do, the authorities in Australia face an uphill battle in trying to reverse the changes.

#4 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

I've yet to see it either but when I was travelled in Australia on a working holiday visa, I was shocked at the position of Aboriginies in society and the apparent open racism that many will show towards them.

It's probably not as black and white as it seems though. Not long after arriving I got a job at the Perth show working on the dodgems. Next to me, one of my friends was working on the tipping point machines and before he started he was warned by his boss to look out for aboriginies. We were obviously appalled but when they opened just like he said, gangs of aboriginal teenagers would come and try to lift the machines to cheat; it was a problem throughout the two weeks. Working on the dodgems, I found many aboriginals aggressive and one cocked a fist to punch me for simply asking how old his child was (a toddler about 4 years too young for the minimum age.)

In many cities I found the aboriginies held this position in society, often congregating in gangs, drinking on the streets and intimidating people. In Cairns a man refused to let me walk home alone after a night out because he said I would definitely get mugged by them. My wife was chased down the road by some in a similar situation.

When I returned home, I tried to explain it to people and the only way I could describe it was that they occupy a similar place in society that Chavs do in our society. That's why I'd be reluctant to call it purely an issue of racism. Many people are scared of them and associate them with crime and anti-social behaviour much as people will do over here when talking about Chavs. In Australia it just happens to be associated with a race of people whereas over here it doesn't.

Of course the travesty is that they have ended up occupying that part of society in the first place. However, now that they do, the authorities in Australia face an uphill battle in trying to reverse the changes.

I found that but with a few of the Lebanese in Sydney also a lot(not all) of the Chinese (in most countries I suppose) are silent racist's.

Edited by 808tone, 21 December 2013 - 12:24 PM.