Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Suprised this hasnt had a mention.

Is it because its a cyclist?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

http://www.bournemou...month_sentence/

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,669 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

is it because he's a cyclist? No. its because not all of us get the Bournemouth papers. Unequivocally and without reservation support the judges comments and the sentence.

Mr Benwell had also been charged with the offence of causing grievous bodily harm through wanton and furious cycling in relation to the incident, which took place near Branksome Chine beach on Friday 26 July. The Crown Prosecution Service dropped that charge after Benwell entered his guilty plea to the more serious offence of causing grievous bodily harm, which carries a maximum penalty of five years’ imprisonment.

http://www.roadjusti...ilty-gbh-260713

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

"Wanton and furious" - there's a pleasingly archaic term.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

"Wanton and furious" - there's a pleasingly archaic term.

You'd think he was Lorna doone

Sentence too lenient

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 20 December 2013 - 04:55 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,669 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Is "wanton and furious"  not a phrase?

#6 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

Is "wanton and furious" not a phrase?

Yes John, just a little archaic to those of us who didn't write on slate at school! ;)

LUNEW.jpg

#7 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

Walking with the au pair?

Rich family were they, nice cars, nice school?  Why mention this?

Shouldn't make a differerance. Much as I support Cyclists, this is abominable.

Sounds like he was late for work, and ran the Child down. Cycists should be responsible under the law as every other road user.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Is "wanton and furious"  not a phrase?

You bloody well know what I meant

But we'll played all the same  :tongue:

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

Of course, if he'd hit the child with a car he might be looking at a £35 and a right telling off.

http://www.standard....ad-9015104.html

How long should the sweet old lady who killed a child get?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#10 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

As has already been posted, this news story is from a paper that very few people on this forum will have heard of, let alone read.

Also, I doubt any of the cyclists on here would jump quickly to defend the actions of the character found guilty in this case.

It's simply a fact of life that any cyclists stupid enough to run red lights or generally fail to obey the laws of our roads is unlikely to seriously hurt anyone but themselves.

This case is the exception to the norm.

If I'm not mistaken, the poster who started this thread is a driving instructor. Driving instructors should surely instill the values of courtesy and respect for all other road users to his pupils.

Having read his opinions on cyclists, I must say I wonder how this could be in his case.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,669 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

You bloody well know what I meant

But we'll played all the same  :tongue:

It's Chris........tmas! You can have that one for nothing! :laugh:

Edited by JohnM, 20 December 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#12 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

As has already been posted, this news story is from a paper that very few people on this forum will have heard of, let alone read.

Also, I doubt any of the cyclists on here would jump quickly to defend the actions of the character found guilty in this case.

It's simply a fact of life that any cyclists stupid enough to run red lights or generally fail to obey the laws of our roads is unlikely to seriously hurt anyone but themselves.

This case is the exception to the norm.

If I'm not mistaken, the poster who started this thread is a driving instructor. Driving instructors should surely instill the values of courtesy and respect for all other road users to his pupils.

Having read his opinions on cyclists, I must say I wonder how this could be in his case.

Please tell me what my opinions on cyclists are.

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Please tell me what my opinions on cyclists are.

I apologise. You're quite correct, the use of the word opinions was wrong.

But we've been here before, your posts on here do give a fairly hefty clue as to where you sit in the car drivers v cyclists debate.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#14 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

I apologise. You're quite correct, the use of the word opinions was wrong.

But we've been here before, your posts on here do give a fairly hefty clue as to where you sit in the car drivers v cyclists debate.

There are bad car drivers just like there are bad cyclists.

Cyclists are more vunrable so should take more care and be much more aware of the danger they are in.

That is the stance i have always taken on here.

#15 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'm sure I heard the verdict on national television, having not come across it before. That said, many local stories now reach a wider audience through the likes of the internet, facebook etc.   

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

There are bad car drivers just like there are bad cyclists.

Cyclists are more vunrable so should take more care and be much more aware of the danger they are in.

That is the stance i have always taken on here.

Your stance suggests that car drivers needn't care as much as cyclists as they're less vulnerable.

My argument with you is that all road users should surely take the same amount of care.

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

Your stance suggests that car drivers needn't care as much as cyclists as they're less vulnerable.

My argument with you is that all road users should surely take the same amount of care.

That's true. But ATEOTD if you are the one that will end up splattered all over the road, it's better for you if you assume everyone else is an idiot. Regardless of whether you should have to or not.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

That's true. But ATEOTD if you are the one that will end up splattered all over the road, it's better for you if you assume everyone else is an idiot. Regardless of whether you should have to or not.

The difficulty with that is that it assumes that the vulnerable road user isn't taking the steps they should to be safe and/or are not following the rules of the road.  As I never tire of telling people: in the overwhelming majority of cases where blame can be assigned in collisions between cyclists and cars it is the car that is at fault.  To spell this out: the cyclist was doing everything they should to be safe, the driver was not.  This is why all the cycle training in the world will only make a fractional difference to cyclists (and indeed pedestrians) killed and injured on the roads - the greater number of accidents are caused by the people who are being repeatedly told that it's not their fault and that it's those odd people in lycra who are to blame for their own deaths.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

If I am running along the pavement and I knock and old lady over, I am at fault as I am bigger and stronger and should have taken more care.  The responsibility does not belong to the frail old lady.  Cyclists should take care, so should motorists.  At the moment, only mildly devil-may-care people are likely to cycle anywhere.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#20 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Exactly my point.

Yet some people see it that i am blaming the bikerider.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users